White Sox Scout Yankees for Potential Q Trade

DirtySox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
A near .800 OPS in high A from a 19 year old SS prospect is pedestrian?? I agree he's probably a bit overrated due to his AFL stint, but let's not sell his A ball numbers short. The kid is an incredible prospect and worthy of top 10/20 status.

I assumed he was older

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
Torres has yet to play above A ball. Torres = schmuck. Just sayin'...

NO offense, but there's no need to be reductive in your argument. Torres has proven something @ high A, whereas The Three Schmucks [Rutherford/Kaprelian/Mateo] have NOT, as I type this. It is fair to note that the Three Schmucks could prove something this year, and become actual prospects, rather than suspects.

But until they do, they're A-ball Schmucks who haven't EARNED the roses that the Prospect Industrial Complex types throw at their feet.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 05:49 PM)
But to lump a bunch of top 30-40 prospects together as "A Ball shmucks" is just flat out destructive logic. Any good system needs depth at all levels, and great systems have high-upside depth at all levels.

Limiting our sights to a guy who can contribute next year has been what has been central to this team's inability to build a productive farm system despite years of failure at the MLB level. The only reason guys with this much upside are available at all is solely BECAUSE there's risk associated with not having been challenged at higher levels. Judging these types of guys as the same as anyone else in the low minors is nonsensical.

Look, I think it is fair to want "depth" in the system. But Q is a TOP Asset that DEMANDS TOP Assets in return. Guys who are "top 30-40," based SOLELY on their reputations, and not on their ACTUAL performance are suspects, not prospects. [Again, they can become worthy assets by proving it on the field; Yankee "prospects" are notorious for being over-hyped without any performance to back up their hype.]

Middling "reputation-only" types can be throw-ins to a Q trade, or pieces gotten for lesser assets, such as Melky or Frazier. Or, if this front office doesn't go back to their moronic ways of drafting from years ago, depth can be found in the draft.

But the original post to which I replied in this thread suggested that:

Rutherford [twice-injured in the past ~18 months, and only 130 PA in rookie ball, and similar results to Korey Zangari],

Kaprelian [Only 18 IP in A ball, and an elbow injury], and

Mateo [inferior results to Tilson @ high A, and inferior to Basabe in Low-A]

would be worth the Top tradeable asset in the business.

I happen to disagree. If ~3 months of [alleged] wifebeater Chapman = Gleyber Torres, FOUR YEARS of Q is worth Torres ++, period. Again, we just need to be patient.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
A near .800 OPS in high A from a 19 year old SS prospect is pedestrian?? I agree he's probably a bit overrated due to his AFL stint, but let's not sell his A ball numbers short. The kid is an incredible prospect and worthy of top 10/20 status.

The guy absolutely figured it out in the AFL. He was pretty highly thought of already before the stint. The Cubs scout I'm familiar with who saw him down there said "thank god we won the world series" cause he was not happy Theo let him go. People are forgetting his glove too. Kid is legit.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
NO offense, but there's no need to be reductive in your argument. Torres has proven something @ high A, whereas The Three Schmucks [Rutherford/Kaprelian/Mateo] have NOT, as I type this. It is fair to note that the Three Schmucks could prove something this year, and become actual prospects, rather than suspects.

But until they do, they're A-ball Schmucks who haven't EARNED the roses that the Prospect Industrial Complex types throw at their feet.

Look, I think it is fair to want "depth" in the system. But Q is a TOP Asset that DEMANDS TOP Assets in return. Guys who are "top 30-40," based SOLELY on their reputations, and not on their ACTUAL performance are suspects, not prospects. [Again, they can become worthy assets by proving it on the field; Yankee "prospects" are notorious for being over-hyped without any performance to back up their hype.]

Middling "reputation-only" types can be throw-ins to a Q trade, or pieces gotten for lesser assets, such as Melky or Frazier. Or, if this front office doesn't go back to their moronic ways of drafting from years ago, depth can be found in the draft.

But the original post to which I replied in this thread suggested that:

Rutherford [twice-injured in the past ~18 months, and only 130 PA in rookie ball, and similar results to Korey Zangari],

Kaprelian [Only 18 IP in A ball, and an elbow injury], and

Mateo [inferior results to Tilson @ high A, and inferior to Basabe in Low-A]

would be worth the Top tradeable asset in the business.

I happen to disagree. If ~3 months of [alleged] wifebeater Chapman = Gleyber Torres, FOUR YEARS of Q is worth Torres ++, period. Again, we just need to be patient.

Totally agree. I viewed the Astros prospects without Bregman as highly shmuckish as well. I'm all for shmucks as long as a nonshmuck headlines the deal. Hahn CLEARLY agrees so I doubt we'll be disappointed when the time comes.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 09:01 PM)
There is a thin line between potential stars and schmucks.

20151 MLB Draft First round

1. Arizona Diamondbacks: Dansby Swanson, SS, Vanderbilt

2. Houston Astros : Alex Bregman, SS, LSU

3. Colorado Rockies: Brendan Rodgers, SS, Lake Mary HS, FL.

4. Texas Rangers: Dillon Tate, RHP, UC Santa Barbara

5. Houston Astros: Kyle Tucker, OF, H.B. Plant HS, FL.

6. Minnesota Twins: Tyler Jay, LHP, Illinois

7. Boston Red Sox: Andrew Benentendi, OF, Arkansas

8. Chicago White Sox: Carson Fulmer, RHP, Vanderbilt

Basically those who didn't take a pitcher did well.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 10:01 PM)
There is a thin line between potential stars and schmucks.

20151 MLB Draft First round

1. Arizona Diamondbacks: Dansby Swanson, SS, Vanderbilt

2. Houston Astros : Alex Bregman, SS, LSU

3. Colorado Rockies: Brendan Rodgers, SS, Lake Mary HS, FL.

4. Texas Rangers: Dillon Tate, RHP, UC Santa Barbara

5. Houston Astros: Kyle Tucker, OF, H.B. Plant HS, FL.

6. Minnesota Twins: Tyler Jay, LHP, Illinois

7. Boston Red Sox: Andrew Benentendi, OF, Arkansas

8. Chicago White Sox: Carson Fulmer, RHP, Vanderbilt

This draft took place a year and a half ago. This is more premature than a virgin on prom night.