NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TCU is really making things difficult for themselves.

Lon Kruger simply got outcoached by Avery Johnson and his 7 different defenses he threw at Young (looked like a high school game where you have one superstar and 4 other stiffs and the entire goal to the defense is to limit the superstar to 15-20 points and force the rest of his teammates to beat you).

ISU is officially done.

OkState lost a close one...they had two really tough losses after upsetting OU at home last weekend.

K-State, on the other hand, is looking better and better. Same with Texas.

WVU has now lost 3 games in the last month where they blew 15+ point leads. Pretty inexplicable to lose at home to a struggling KY team, but UNC and Duke both lost at home for the first time on the same weekend since 1973, so anything's possible in college basketball these days (at least until Duke runs out their McDonald's All-American team next year).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 03:21 PM)
I think Rock nailed it: the dude seems like a huge asshole. His tantrums are ridiculous.

Some coaches get ripped for not having tantrums. He's a bit intense, but he's a good guy. Not only that but he's like, really smart. He went to Wharton you know.

I guess ISU has a UVA transfer for next year and a pretty strong recruiting class.

The problem is the Big 12...although OU and TX will lose Young and Bamba.

ISU around 105 mark in RPI, will be in 95-99 range after tonight's win...but still need to win the Big 12 unless they can finish conference just 2 games under .500 and get RPI closer to the 60's/70's range.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 09:29 PM)
I guess ISU has a UVA transfer for next year and a pretty strong recruiting class.

The problem is the Big 12...although OU and TX will lose Young and Bamba.

ISU around 105 mark in RPI, will be in 95-99 range after tonight's win...but still need to win the Big 12 unless they can finish conference just 2 games under .500 and get RPI closer to the 60's/70's range.

Oh, they will in no way make the NCAAs. Goal should be to stay above water and get into the NIT.

Next year they add Shayok from UVA and should only lose one starter. Horton-Tucker should be fun to watch.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 10:08 PM)
Oh, they will in no way make the NCAAs. Goal should be to stay above water and get into the NIT.

Next year they add Shayok from UVA and should only lose one starter. Horton-Tucker should be fun to watch.

You’ve got a ton of talent coming in, may need some time for Conditt but the other guys are so underrated.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 3, 2018 -> 02:48 PM)
For the 1 PM weirdness

#20 Clemson tied with a bad Wake team at 61 with 6 left

Mizzou up over #21 Kentucky 33-28 with 16 left

Minnesota up 39-38 over #24 Michigan with 15 left

Mizzou was favored so not a huge upset, but a huge win for a bubble team.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 3, 2018 -> 02:48 PM)
For the 1 PM weirdness

#20 Clemson tied with a bad Wake team at 61 with 6 left

Mizzou up over #21 Kentucky 33-28 with 16 left

Minnesota up 39-38 over #24 Michigan with 15 left

This Michigan team is the worst FT shooting team I’ve ever seen.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2018 -> 11:20 PM)
Seriously. Wtf. Looks like a Matta team.

It’s mental and contagious. Even MAAR was throwing bricks up.

What’s happening in Columbus?

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 4, 2018 -> 12:52 PM)
It’s mental and contagious. Even MAAR was throwing bricks up.

What’s happening in Columbus?

Pretty typical Illinois game. For 15-20 minutes they look like the best team in the conference. Then they look like the worst. They'll lose this in some hilarious way.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2018 -> 01:16 PM)
Illinois is the hackiest bunch of hacks. I’m shocked the entire team didn’t foul out. They really let them get away with it.

They got called for 23 fouls and Ohio State shot 33 free throws. There was no getting away with it.

And man Stephen Bardo is a terrible announcer for Illinois.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 4, 2018 -> 01:25 PM)
when is the last time Illinois played a basketball game where the officials weren't out to get them? I used to here it when watching games with my dad an UI grad and fanatic. My brother is the same way.

Is that really the opinion in this game? They could have easily been called for 50 fouls. Maybe both fan bases and reporters think they were out to get them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 4, 2018 -> 01:25 PM)
when is the last time Illinois played a basketball game where the officials weren't out to get them? I used to here it when watching games with my dad an UI grad and fanatic. My brother is the same way.

b****ing about officiating =/= believing there is a specific vendetta against your team. It's complaining about the officiating. I let a lot of stuff go. It's a tough game to call and there are a lot of judgment calls that can go either way.

What pisses me off though is the call like that moving screen against Black. That happens probably every single trip down the floor and it's rarely called. So why did that official suddenly decide to call it at that specific moment in the game? It's just poor officiating, plain and simple.