The Korea Situation; It's Very Serious

greg775

Is this North Korea situation serious or not?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is this North Korea situation serious or not?

• Yes it is very serious; we are on brink of war
    • No, we're not going to do anything warlike
    • Maybe.

War with North Korea would cost the lives of an unthinkable amount of people. It would also probably bankrupt our country.

I normally think the tough talk with NK is just that, but with Trump who actually knows.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
Why is it in North Korea's interest to lob a single nuke our way?

The bigger concern is NK selling advanced nukes to rogue groups/terrorists. They don't have the tech yet, but they will eventually. Sanctions haven't work. Global intervention hasn't worked. This faux show of military force hasn't worked.

We just need to make a decision - are we cool with NK getting that technology or not? If not, there are difficult decisions to be made that would include military intervention.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
War with North Korea would cost the lives of an unthinkable amount of people. It would also probably bankrupt our country.

I normally think the tough talk with NK is just that, but with Trump who actually knows.

Has there ever been a war that caused a financial issue for the country? I would think the opposite - we almost always benefit. The Iraq war was expensive, but I'm not sure it "cost" us anything economically.

Depends on your economic analysis of how sustainable $20 trillion in debt is as we keep on adding to it by not coming close to balanced budgets...even after the initial 2-3 year stimulus package and QE bursts and low interest rates for an extended period of time.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
Has there ever been a war that caused a financial issue for the country? I would think the opposite - we almost always benefit. The Iraq war was expensive, but I'm not sure it "cost" us anything economically.

Defense contractors benefit, but that's a Broken Window economy if I've ever seen one.

We benefited economically from WWII because everyone was buying our stuff at first and at the end, we were the only major economic power that hadn't been devastated by the war.

The Iraq War has cost the US government several trillion dollars. That's several trillion that could and should have been spent on infrastructure, jobs, health care, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
Depends on your economic analysis of how sustainable $20 trillion in debt is as we keep on adding to it by not coming close to balanced budgets...even after the initial 2-3 year stimulus package and QE bursts and low interest rates for an extended period of time.

In the same sentence that we should freak about our high debt is ... low interest rates. Sure.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
The bigger concern is NK selling advanced nukes to rogue groups/terrorists. They don't have the tech yet, but they will eventually. Sanctions haven't work. Global intervention hasn't worked. This faux show of military force hasn't worked.

We just need to make a decision - are we cool with NK getting that technology or not? If not, there are difficult decisions to be made that would include military intervention.

Very fair point.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)

What we have been doing hasn't worked at all. It has still allowed them to keep advancing all of their weapons programs, including their nuclear one. It has been a joke.

What do people really think can done?

The first nuke was used over 70 years ago. There is no way to put nukes back into the box, and nukes are "old" technology at this point. There is no way to "stop" NK without risking some sort of nuclear assault.

In my opinion the best answer is to start using some defense funds to try and come up with new technology that can better detect nuclear weapons (and their movement.)

In the absence of that, it really is up to China, SK and Japan to decide. NK really poses no threat to us, so those countries need to decide if they are willing to risk their population being nuked.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
What do people really think can done?

The first nuke was used over 70 years ago. There is no way to put nukes back into the box, and nukes are "old" technology at this point. There is no way to "stop" NK without risking some sort of nuclear assault.

In my opinion the best answer is to start using some defense funds to try and come up with new technology that can better detect nuclear weapons (and their movement.)

In the absence of that, it really is up to China, SK and Japan to decide. NK really poses no threat to us, so those countries need to decide if they are willing to risk their population being nuked.

True but with that last sentence, China will not let Japan be the aggressor or a military power again. China would have to be cool with whatever comes of North Korea being aligned with China and not "the west" or SK/J. It makes it complicated, and all roads point back to China.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 08:16 PM)
Why is it in North Korea's interest to lob a single nuke our way?

They already tossed a bomb w/in 300 miles of Japan. One accident and it hits land and there's immediate response. To answer, their leader is a nut who knows he someday will lose power anyway so why not take us with him to his grave.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 08:24 PM)
We've already got two wars that have lasted well over a decade, cost trillions upon trillions of dollars, cost hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives and sparked huge refugee crises. Why not add a third?

Sometimes you have no choice. Nobody wants war. War may be necessary here or to at least seek out Jon Un, kill him, and hope China and Russia don't bomb us over it.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 08:42 PM)

Great post. This is serious.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 08:52 PM)
It would be very hard to bankrupt US with a war unless the outcome is China winning and putting onerous requirements on US.

If China defeated us in war, would they take over our mainland? Man, that is scary. Can you imagine having to go to some town meeting where the Chinese tell us what's up? And they begin torture, etc? s***.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 08:55 PM)
Regardless of the cost financially. The large loss of human life is what should be considered when thinking about war with North Korea.

Very true. We don't want all those people killed in South Korea (from immediate response) and North Korea (our bombs). But think about it, Jon Un could attack S. Korea at any time and it's on. He could hit Japan with a bomb and it's on. He could blow up one of our ships hovering there and it's on. I think we're closer to catastrophe than anybody thinks. Plus Trump is aggressive.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 09:09 PM)
What we have been doing hasn't worked at all. It has still allowed them to keep advancing all of their weapons programs, including their nuclear one. It has been a joke.

Exactly. They are the enemy and we must treat them like the enemy more and more. The question is ... do we treat China and Russia as mortal enemies as well? Depends on their response over the N. Korea situation.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 08:00 PM)
If China defeated us in war, would they take over our mainland? Man, that is scary. Can you imagine having to go to some town meeting where the Chinese tell us what's up? And they begin torture, etc? s***.

This might be my all time favorite Soxtalk post.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 01:21 AM)
War. War never changes.

I guess we can wait and see. But frankly I'm scared. We have a pretty unstable President it appears and kind of a strange duck as president IMO. He's pretty much capable of attacking N Korea at any moment. And we've got china and Russia who do not appear to be very sympathetic toward our position. If China and Russia wind up backing N. Korea on this for whatever reason, I think it's a tense situation.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 12:28 AM)
I guess we can wait and see. But frankly I'm scared. We have a pretty unstable President it appears and kind of a strange duck as president IMO. He's pretty much capable of attacking N Korea at any moment. And we've got china and Russia who do not appear to be very sympathetic toward our position. If China and Russia wind up backing N. Korea on this for whatever reason, I think it's a tense situation.

AMERICA WILL NEVER FALL TO COMMUNIST INVASION

BETTER DEAD THAN RED

DEMOCRACY IS NON-NEGOTIABLE

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 07:18 AM)
AMERICA WILL NEVER FALL TO COMMUNIST INVASION

BETTER DEAD THAN RED

DEMOCRACY IS NON-NEGOTIABLE

Cool post. I will bear arms to defend the (less than) great State of Kansas if called upon. We have no other choice.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 11:36 PM)
Greg, those are quotes from a five-story tall American war robot named Liberty Prime from the video game Fallout 3.

They seem appropriate though.

• 3 weeks later...

Folks, N. Korea sent up another missile today in the a.m. Folks, you may hate greg but you have to admit I tend to have the right take on calamity issues such as these. My prediction is we are gonna wake up one day soon to an incident so catastrophic (caused by us) that it'll be 50/50 whether there is an immediate war.

Folks, Trump and the military are going to drop something on North Korea called a bomb. The question is what kind of bomb. And Korea will immediately lob a bomb at South Korea. At that point, all bets are off as we assess damage.

China's take? Russia's take? North Korea's overall take? Depending on their takes will be how big the conflict/war will be.

Does anybody deny this?? Korea keeps testing missiles/bombs and we have an aggressive pro military guy in the White House. Trump is gonna do something, folks. Tell me he isn't.

Edited by greg775

So U.S. blasts China over not stopping North Korea's bulls***. North Korea says it can and will attack the US. US says we will sanction Russia and North Korea and China.

More importantly, after North Korea's latest threats to attack us ...

This from CNN:

Continuing another trend, the US on Saturday sent two B-1 bombers from Andersen Air Force Base in Guam on a 10-hour round trip over the Korean Peninsula in what the US Pacific Air Forces called a direct response to the North Korean missile test.

The B-1s teamed up with Japanese and South Korean fighter jets to test "combined capabilities" during the mission, the US military said in a statement.

Folks we are going to wake up one morning to something pretty radical. I wouldn't discount us dropping some bombs on their leader's headquarters trying to kill him. I can see Trump's reasoning. They flat out are saying they are going to nuke us. We HAVE to protect ourselves and kill him first.

I would prefer issuing a warning to Kim Jong-Un and say next missile test, you can expect immediate retaliation in the form of immediate violence of some king. It's all up to you. This is heading toward conflict, folks, severe military contact. And I don't like what I've heard about China's Army. The minute they decide to come on over and attack our mainland, I'm not liking that at all.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
So U.S. blasts China over not stopping North Korea's bulls***. North Korea says it can and will attack the US. US says we will sanction Russia and North Korea and China.

More importantly, after North Korea's latest threats to attack us ...

This from CNN:

Continuing another trend, the US on Saturday sent two B-1 bombers from Andersen Air Force Base in Guam on a 10-hour round trip over the Korean Peninsula in what the US Pacific Air Forces called a direct response to the North Korean missile test.

The B-1s teamed up with Japanese and South Korean fighter jets to test "combined capabilities" during the mission, the US military said in a statement.

Folks we are going to wake up one morning to something pretty radical. I wouldn't discount us dropping some bombs on their leader's headquarters trying to kill him. I can see Trump's reasoning. They flat out are saying they are going to nuke us. We HAVE to protect ourselves and kill him first.

I would prefer issuing a warning to Kim Jong-Un and say next missile test, you can expect immediate retaliation in the form of immediate violence of some king. It's all up to you. This is heading toward conflict, folks, severe military contact. And I don't like what I've heard about China's Army. The minute they decide to come on over and attack our mainland, I'm not liking that at all.

Alright Greg, stop scaring the children.