5/13 Games

swissarmyknife

Well, I hope we have luck across the farm with me starting today's thread. GO SOX!!!

http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?c...mp;ymd=20170513

AAA Charlotte (Giolito) vs - Louisville (Reed)

AA Birmingham (Cooper) vs Chattanooga (Romero)

A+ Winston-Salem (Easterling) vs Carolina (Ponce)

A Kannapolis (Comito) vs Rome (Anderson)

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 13, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
Call me crazy, but I think things finally start clicking for Giolito tonight.

I hope so because the life span for a TJ surgery is supposedly 7-8 years. He had it in 2012 which means he should have another good 2-3 good years left on his elbow before it should theoretically start to give him issues again. Maybe not. But I really hope he can both regain solid repeatable mechanics on his delivery and also bring his velo up to mid/upper 90's on the heater.

QUOTE (swissarmyknife @ May 13, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
I hope so because the life span for a TJ surgery is supposedly 7-8 years. He had it in 2012 which means he should have another good 2-3 good years left on his elbow before it should theoretically start to give him issues again. Maybe not. But I really hope he can both regain solid repeatable mechanics on his delivery and also bring his velo up to mid/upper 90's on the heater.

Never heard that about the TJ lifespan. Just ruined my saturday, thanks.

♪ Des pa cito

Me llamo Lucas Giolito

I throw my sliders right down the middle

They hit it so far you have find it in Puerto Rico

My fastballs miss the zone like Shaq misses his free throws

If you want to see me pitch in Chicago

You gotta wait, despacito ♪

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

Moncada with a K in his first AB against LHP Cody Reed.

Delmonico and Hayes both falling to near 800 ops numbers after putting up big numbers early.

Giolito 1-2-3 bottom of the first, one K, two swinging strikes. Groundout and pop up.

Engel with another double. All the way up to 741 and now hitting .219.

Groundout, single, two strikeouts. Unscathed through 2.

Edited by caulfield12

Triple and single lead to a run against Giolito...out of the inning with a DP.

Moncada hit into one last inning with runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs.

Just swung 3-0 with bases loaded, two outs and lined out to the LFer. 2-1 Knights.

Giolito through 4. No walks, 3 k's, 1 ER. Similar to last start before the wheels came off.

First walk follows a K to start the 5th. 5 k's. Fly out. Through 5. 6.48 ERA.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 13, 2017 -> 07:03 PM)
Usually the 6th inning on is when Giolito falls apart. Lets see if he get over that hump.

This is still one of his best outings no matter what happens in the 6th. Something is working for him today, lets hope he keeps improving on it.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ May 13, 2017 -> 07:05 PM)
This is still one of his best outings no matter what happens in the 6th. Something is working for him today, lets hope he keeps improving on it.

He's had a 5 IP, 0 ER effort before. He's been solid in 5. Even he has admitted around the 6th is when his mechanics get out of whack. I'm hoping this is the start that he puts it all together.

Engel with another double...755 ops. Might be ahead of Liriano now, unless they recall Rayburn instead if they need yet another OF.

Second bases loaded opportunity for Moncada. Forceout for RBI, 7 lob.

Gopher ball by Lucas, 4-2.

84 pitches, now through six, recovered from the homer nicely. 6.55 era.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 13, 2017 -> 06:16 PM)
First batter Giolito faces in the 6th... homer.

Get it together kid. C'mon.

Nice response. Gets the next 3 guys out via flyballs.

Exactly, he is at 84 pitches with 52 thrown for strikes, think he goes another inning or is that enough? I say let him try and go 7.

Edited by swissarmyknife

QUOTE (swissarmyknife @ May 13, 2017 -> 07:20 PM)
Exactly, he is at 84 pitches with 52 thrown for strikes, think he goes another inning or is that enough? I say let him try and go 7.

It's tough. Mentally with him, it's probably best to pull him. Him being at 84 pitches and him really needing to hit this wall he has in 6+ innings... they should leave him in. I say give him one batter and depending on how he looks with him should determine the next outcome.

Bernardo Flores 6.0 IP, 4H, 0R, 1BB, 6K

15. Bernardo Flores, LHP

Scouting Report:

If not for the way Alec Hansen pitched after signing, Flores would be generating more buzz as the White Sox’ draft coup from 2016. Flores struck out a batter per inning as a sophomore at USC but his velocity was inconsistent as a junior, showing 93-94 some starts and dipping back down to 88-91 in others. He worked more with a cutter in 2016, though it may not be a pitch of focus going forward, and has a projectable four-pitch mix. Flores made more starts in pro ball after he signed than he did in three years at USC, so not only is his arm relatively fresh but his pitches probably feature more projection than one might expect from a typical college arm. He has a good pitcher’s build, pitches with downhill plane, and has feel for a shapely, average curveball and changeup, in addition to the cutter. The changeup was flashing plus in pro ball with great velocity separation from the fastball and arm-side fade. Flores mimics his fastball’s arm speed, as well.

I think, if you’re willing to project on the pitches based on a lack of reps in college, that there’s mid-rotation upside here. The velo fluctuations are concerning, he didn’t blow away rookie-level hitters in 2016, and he’s far from the majors, but I think Flores is one of the most interesting prospects in the system.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-21-pros...cago-white-sox/

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 13, 2017 -> 06:24 PM)
It's tough. Mentally with him, it's probably best to pull him. Him being at 84 pitches and him really needing to hit this wall he has in 6+ innings... they should leave him in. I say give him one batter and depending on how he looks with him should determine the next outcome.

Oh well, he got pulled after 6. I think they are really satisfied with this outing and he can build off of it. Nice way to try to start and put it together.

QUOTE (swissarmyknife @ May 13, 2017 -> 07:27 PM)
Oh well, he got pulled after 6. I think they are really satisfied with this outing and he can build off of it. Nice way to try to start and put it together.

Yup. Grudz doesn't wanna f*** the kid up mentally too much. Good start for him to build on. Hopefully he goes further next time out or the next one.