Keith Law Mock Draft 2.0

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 31, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)
In a world where an OF putting up .404/.505/.843 with an OPS of 1.348 and a 22% K rate in the same conference is considered a comp round pick.

Because Kendall brings so much more outside of hitting than Rooker?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a world where an OF putting up .404/.505/.843 with an OPS of 1.348 and a 22% K rate in the same conference is considered a comp round pick.

That's what happens when you are a college 1b with average speed, athleticism, and only one extraordinary year.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ May 31, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
Look at other top picks. Their college numbers are cartoon-like. Also, the 25% k-rate somewhat says "not succeeding".

Aforementioned Corey Ray

.310/.388/.545

Not too different.

Nick Senzel

.352 .456 .595

Alex Bregman

.323 .412 .535

Andrew Benintendi

.326 .431 .525

Pavin Smith

.346 .429 .571

Evan White

.366 .439 .629

All of these guys were drafted higher than Kendall would be if the Sox took him. Smith is projected similarly and White is routinely projected behind Kendall.

Wait what? Brent Rooker is almost 2 years older than Jeren Kendall and is a likely 1B. Jeren Kendall strikes out a lot. He strikes out too much to be frank. If he didn't strikeout this much though, he'd be the #1 pick. He will be a plus defender in CF with a plus arm and 70-80 speed. He also has plus bat speed and power.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Wait what? Brent Rooker is almost 2 years older than Jeren Kendall and is a likely 1B. Jeren Kendall strikes out a lot. He strikes out too much to be frank. If he didn't strikeout this much though, he'd be the #1 pick. He will be a plus defender in CF with a plus arm and 70-80 speed. He also has plus bat speed and power.

Looking at the descriptions of Kendall, I hear Mike Cameron. No? Yes?

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ May 31, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
All I'm asking is for someone to show me some comps of players that struck out that much in college yet turned into decent major leaguers.

It's a really bad sign, no doubt. That said, if highly athletic, powerful, great hit tool players were not rare this wouldn't be an issue.

I guess Aaron Judge would be highest K rate I've seen do well, and his was not as high as Kendalls. But a lot of the high k toolsy OFs you see still be pretty good in mlb were drafted out of HS.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ May 31, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
Wish it weren't the case. I could put up some gaudy numbers in high school right now.

I do think one of the reasons we don't have a lot of great high k comps is a lot of the higher k, athletic guys come out in high school.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 31, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
After seeing the reaction to Jeren Kendall and Jordon Adell, I'm convinced that if Luis Robert were in this class, Sox fans would want Jake Burger instead.

But we already have Robert, we don't need to keep duplicating that player profile in the system. We also have Adolfo with similar contact issues despite having solid tools across the board. I get that Kendall is a high level defender, high level athlete, and has top line speed, but we need to get guys in this system with good bad to ball skills to bring balance with the athletes we already have. If we didn't have Robert I would be much more inclined to take Kendall, but since we have a guy with some contact risk already, I would like to get a guy with better baseball skills at the expense of some athleticism.

The White Sox have really struggled as an organization to help their hitting prospects improve patience, pitch recognition, and contact skills so I prefer that the team draft players that already have those skills in place when they enter the organization.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 31, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
Of all the "fixable" flaws for prospects to have entering their pro careers, it sure seems like "making contact" comes with the highest bust rate. I don't know if that's actually true overall, but it definitely seems to be in our organization.

I don't know if this is true.

How many low power guys become high power guys?

How many slow guys become fast guys?

Weak arm guys become strong arm?

Seems reductive, but I'd bet hit tool actually develops better than those. Fielding I'd say is probably the most likely to improve, as we hear players are just not getting the reps in prep.

What's more likely, is can you afford to be really bad in an any one area and still be anything more than a role player/spot starter?

Of those that are still really good, I'd bet they are great at speed and fielding.

Or, they have a great hit tool/power, but you have to put them at DH.

I think a question is whether a guy with 50s across the board and 55 speed is more likely to blossom into a star than a guy with a 40 hit tool hitting enough to make his other skills worth it and be a star.

Maybe if we draft Logan Warmouth we are definitely getting a Major League infielder.

Or maybe we'd just be getting a Brett Lawrie slashline and are constantly hoping for a star in their place.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 31, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
Is it weird that I wouldn't mind them drafting Jo Adell but would be disappointed if they drafted Jeren Kendall?

Not to me. The idea that Adell made an adjustment that smoothed out his swing while in a crucial senior season is a good sign.

Seems like knock on kendall was surprising lack of progress his junior year. Addel hasn't shown that.

But he very well could :)

My top board of reasonable players is Bukauskus, Hasely. Would be home runs.

I'm fine with Kendall/Adell. I'm nervous, but I don't think you can just write off players like that because they are harder.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 31, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
But we already have Robert, we don't need to keep duplicating that player profile in the system. We also have Adolfo with similar contact issues despite having solid tools across the board. I get that Kendall is a high level defender, high level athlete, and has top line speed, but we need to get guys in this system with good bad to ball skills to bring balance with the athletes we already have. If we didn't have Robert I would be much more inclined to take Kendall, but since we have a guy with some contact risk already, I would like to get a guy with better baseball skills at the expense of some athleticism.

The White Sox have really struggled as an organization to help their hitting prospects improve patience, pitch recognition, and contact skills so I prefer that the team draft players that already have those skills in place when they enter the organization.

I could not agree more with this, and it's exactly why I am hoping for Haseley, Smith or Hiura.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ May 31, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)
I understand the sentiment, curious as to why Hiura out ranks Burger in most people's minds. Or at least that is my perception.

To me, Hiura has the better bat and the better chance of sticking at a non 1B position.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ May 31, 2017 -> 04:09 PM)
To me, Hiura has the better bat and the better chance of sticking at a non 1B position.

Scouting reports I've seen seem to think Burger could actually stick at 3B, which would help his value a ton.

Huira by all accounts is a below average defensive player and currently does not have a true position

Ideally Haseley is on the board for us, although I doubt he falls out of the top ten. I am not shutting the door on selecting a pitcher either if they are the best player available.

Edited by steveno89