Frazier to Boston Rumors getting heavy

whitesoxwinner

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 08:21 AM)
Not done but this is legit tradewatch. Reminds me of pre Samarj trade.

Seems legit. Makes way too much sense again. Hopefully the hold up is another team jumped in. The Yankees would make sense. I don't think it was as close last night as a few made it. He would have been lifted.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 08:21 AM)
Not done but this is legit tradewatch. Reminds me of pre Samarj trade.

I agree. There is way too much smoke for smoking not to happen either today or tomorrow.

Even raBBit said they were in the medicals stage.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
If we are getting back much of anything for our rentals, you can't be really disappointed.

I agree for this rental and Melky.

Swarzak is producing - I'd like to see a little something for him.

I really like the write ups on Ockimey.

Between him, Hickman, sheets, and someone like Skoug, some good 1b bats. Was kinda crazy we couldn't even develop good bats with no position but 1b in our minors since Carter.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
Remember when all we got for Ray Durham was Jon Adkins?

Dude, I still remember where I was when that trade went down and couldn't believe that's all we got. Did we simply refuse to eat any money on his contract? I forgot why the return was ultimately such garbage.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
Dude, I still remember where I was when that trade went down and couldn't believe that's all we got. Did we simply refuse to eat any money on his contract? I forgot why the return was ultimately such garbage.

I mean, according to moneyball he's like literally all we asked for.

I remember reading it across the scroll too and then expecting Adkins to be some awesome player. Looked up his stats and was like Whaaaaa

Because Kenny Williams was naive and inexperienced.

We'd have gotten more with a comp pick.

Not only did they sell him for a dime on a dollar, I didn't know why they had no interest in re-signing him. He was consistent as heck and didn't sign for that much.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
I mean, according to moneyball he's like literally all we asked for.

I remember reading it across the scroll too and then expecting Adkins to be some awesome player. Looked up his stats and was like Whaaaaa

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:08 AM)
Because Kenny Williams was naive and inexperienced.

We'd have gotten more with a comp pick.

Not only did they sell him for a dime on a dollar, I didn't know why they had no interest in re-signing him. He was consistent as heck and didn't sign for that much.

Ah yes, the comp pick. That's what it was. This is when comp picks first started right? So Beane traded Adkins for Durham and then got a comp pick (or picks) in the 2003 draft after he walked.

I loved me some KW as GM until recent years, but good god did he have some epic fail moments.

They ate everything left in his contract but the minimum.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
Ah yes, the comp pick. That's what it was. This is when comp picks first started right? So Beane traded Adkins for Durham and then got a comp pick (or picks) in the 2003 draft after he walked.

I loved me some KW as GM until recent years, but good god did he have some epic fail moments.

The Sox were under the impression comp picks were going the way of the Edsel.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 07:12 AM)

We need Kenny to become the GM of the Houston Astros.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
They ate everything left in his contract but the minimum.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
The Sox were under the impression comp picks were going the way of the Edsel.

Lol...so I had it completely backwards. And shocked they ate all that money.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)

He had a lot of talent to work with when he took over.

Looking back, I think his biggest weakness is that he frequently lacked pitching...2001-2004 was plagued with fifth starter problems; and 2012-2016 had 4th and 5th starter problems. They rent what they thought was a top of the rotation guy, when they really needed some good rotation depth.

That's why I really hope that they start silently loading up on pitching as they move some of their pre arb players (who probably have some value) as they bring in the better prospects. Plus, the major league team needs some more dependable young pitching, instead of another round of Holland and Pelfrey. 4th or 5th starter types like they used to rebuild in 1990 - Eric King and Greg Hibbard were 4th starter talents, but they stabilized that 1990 rotation in what was a very quick rebuild after the team was torn down a couple of years before.

Edited by GreenSox

Kenny did do well for a while when he exploited that average proven vet production was more valuable than c+/b prospects. But we got destroyed when the players decline started happening earlier post steroids. Suddenly our bad farm could only net players well on way to decline.

Sox have been such a weird team. Our weak links have been awful, season destroying bad. But we had teams built for short series that could never come close to getting there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 07:35 AM)
Kenny did do well for a while when he exploited that average proven vet production was more valuable than c+/b prospects. But we got destroyed when the players decline started happening earlier post steroids. Suddenly our bad farm could only net players well on way to decline.

Sox have been such a weird team. Our weak links have been awful, season destroying bad. But we had teams built for short series that could never come close to getting there.

The story of the modern White Sox.

Built for the playoffs, not the regular season.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)

Looking back, I think his biggest weakness is that he frequently lacked pitching...2001-2004 was plagued with fifth starter problems; and 2012-2016 had 4th and 5th starter problems. They rent what they thought was a top of the rotation guy, when they really needed some good rotation depth.

That's why I really hope that they start silently loading up on pitching as they move some of their pre arb players (who probably have some value) as they bring in the better prospects. Plus, the major league team needs some more dependable young pitching, instead of another round of Holland and Pelfrey. 4th or 5th starter types like they used to rebuild in 1990 - Eric King and Greg Hibbard were 4th starter talents, but they stabilized that 1990 rotation in what was a very quick rebuild after the team was torn down a couple of years before.

You do realize Holland was brought in to hopefully flip, and Pelfrey was signed to a minor league contract after being released as depth? Hibbard and King were potentials in Himes' core. But after that season they both fizzled. King got traded for someone worse in Cory Snyder, and Hibbard after a couple of mediocre seasons was taken in the expansion draft. After 1990 they both pitched about like what Holland and Pelfrey are giving the team now.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)

What I remember from KW's early years was that (a) he was pretty good finding "diamonds in the rough" - players that hadn't done well elsewhere that the Sox were able to turn to good value, but (b) he had a tendency to be bad at big acquisitions. The one that sticks in my mind the most from those early days was Todd Ritchie. The problem with the big acquisitions, whether by trade or FA, was that failures often had to stick around on the roster for years.