Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-links-school-violence-ritalin-experts-deny-224138205.html

This theory from the NRA/North about overprescription/s of ritalin being the reason for the shootings takes the cake...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/20/us/texas-lieutenant-governor-dan-patrick-reasons-for-school-shootings/index.html

Texas Lt. Governor adds to the parade of excuses, adding five more reasons

1) Prevalence of violent video games

2) Removing religion from schools (apparently, we should forget about separation of church and state)

3) Abortions and "broken families" (foster homes/orphanages)

4) Irresponsible gun owners (but not the guns themselves)

5) Too many school entrances

6) Teachers not armed to the teeth to deter potential attackers

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-links-school-violence-ritalin-experts-deny-224138205.html

This theory from the NRA/North about overprescription/s of ritalin being the reason for the shootings takes the cake...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/20/us/texas-lieutenant-governor-dan-patrick-reasons-for-school-shootings/index.html

2) Removing religion from schools (apparently, we should forget about separation of church and state)

Ugh. Get the guns off the streets. I do like No. 2 however. ... The bottom line is that video I saw on the Internet of the campaign when Trump told the gun-niks "you will keep your guns; you will keep your magazines; nothing will happen." That video is all we need. No politician will get the guns off the streets; too many votes lost. It's sick and said. That's why I've totally changed my politics. I am ONLY for candidates that will give us free healthcare and only for candidates that will get the guns off the streets. Bernie baby!!!Why can't you be 20 years younger Bernie?

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Are guns more available or more easily acquired now than 10 years ago?

8 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I do like the idea of one big entrance, metal detector and a SEAL team.  Nobody is getting through that with a pistol. 

Needs to have marines with swords drawn and then you walk through them every day.  It would be like getting married every morning

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Interesting that the Lt. Governor didn't mention one of the biggest and MOST LOGICAL issues to consider...SCHOOL BULLYING, both at school and via social media at night and on the weekends.

They need to stop making each shooter famous.  A lot of these are kids getting ideas from other shooters.  This is also now two events in a row where a male was upset at being rejected by a female (allegedly).  These "incels" are being radicalized on the internet.

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Interesting that the Lt. Governor didn't mention one of the biggest and MOST LOGICAL issues to consider...SCHOOL BULLYING, both at school and via social media at night and on the weekends.

He also mentioned Facebook and video games.  I didn't realize we're the only country on Earth that has those two things. You learn something new every day.

17 minutes ago, BigSqwert said:

He also mentioned Facebook and video games.  I didn't realize we're the only country on Earth that has those two things. You learn something new every day.

edit: blaming "school bullying" puts the blame back on the shooting victims. in this latest mass school shooting, it seems he was mad at a girl who turned him down repeatedly over four months. that's not bullying.

Edited by StrangeSox

I love what Charles Mudede wrote about mass shootings as part of his take on Childish Gambino's new single:

There's more. Another part appears to reference the Charleston church shooting, which Dylann Storm Roof, a white supremacist, committed in 2015. But pressing right against this reference to the hate crime is a part of the scene that seems to express the public's growing frustration with a Christianity that offers nothing but prayers for problems that are obviously sublunary, earthly, and human-caused.

There is no real reason why anyone should be penniless or homeless in the US. The condition of extreme poverty is not caused by forces unknown or that operate in mysterious ways but is imposed on humans by other humans. The same is true with mass shootings. The killers are not supernatural. Nor are they natural in the sense of bears or lions or tigers. In fact, I can understand sending prayers to students killed by a chimpanzee with a bazooka. How did it learn to shoot that thing? What made it hate humans so much? God only knows. Post your emoji of praying hands for a tragedy as bizarre as that. But not for mass shootings committed by humans in a society that has weak-to-no gun laws. 

Now, why should we pray for a problem that can actually be fixed with a few laws and the enforcement of those laws? It's like praying for a plumber to clear a clog. Why do you need supernatural intervention for something like that? In fact, you don't even need a superhero to protect Americans from mass shootings. You only need a government that can perform this simple operation: one, remove public safety rights from inside of gun rights; then, two, place gun rights inside of public safety rights. Finished.

Christians should give their God truly spiritual problems to deal with. We do not want to see Him down here on His knees trying and failing to fix our matter-dense metal and gucky pipes with spectral hands. We don't want to see a glowing plumber's butt. Leave all earthly matters to us, the fallen.

29 minutes ago, BigSqwert said:

Probably because a lot of students said the kid wasnt bullied.  Wanted to make a point that couldnt be disproven.

5 hours ago, RockRaines said:

Needs to have marines with swords drawn and then you walk through them every day.  It would be like getting married every morning

They need to stop making each shooter famous.  A lot of these are kids getting ideas from other shooters.  This is also now two events in a row where a male was upset at being rejected by a female (allegedly).  These "incels" are being radicalized on the internet.

Guns are the problem, but the internet is definitely not helping.  The next high school shooter is right now spending hours a night in those chat rooms or reading about the previous killers convincing himself to do the same, whether it be cause he's different or a girl said no.  It's honestly the same type of shit that has found ISIS lone wolfs on the internet too.  

Now if these idiots weren't getting guns so easily the internet radicalization wouldn't have such dramatic consequences to others.

5 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Guns are the problem, but the internet is definitely not helping.  The next high school shooter is right now spending hours a night in those chat rooms or reading about the previous killers convincing himself to do the same, whether it be cause he's different or a girl said no.  It's honestly the same type of shit that has found ISIS lone wolfs on the internet too.  

Now if these idiots weren't getting guns so easily the internet radicalization wouldn't have such dramatic consequences to others.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:08 PM, RockRaines said:

Do you really think if they don't name the shooter it will help solve the problem? I suppose if it keeps one from shooting it is way more than worth it. I just think the cat is already out of the bag. They don't show the morons running out on the field anymore, but it still happens from time to time.

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

They will literally ban everything before they even regulate guns. 

I think the logical end game to all of this is that we will eventually ban students from going to schools.  Maybe all schools will just become permanent gun shows.

26 minutes ago, BigSqwert said:

I think the logical end game to all of this is that we will eventually ban students from going to schools.  Maybe all schools will just become permanent gun shows.

Welcome to the Smith & Wesson charter school! 

2 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Are guns more easily obtained today than 10 years ago? There seems to be more of these incidences recently.

If not, what has changed in the last 10 years. If so, this should be where the focus is in preventing guns from getting in the hands of these killers.

28 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Are guns more easily obtained today than 10 years ago? There seems to be more of these incidences recently.

If not, what has changed in the last 10 years. If so, this should be where the focus is in preventing guns from getting in the hands of these killers.

Its hard to answer the first question. Logically speaking I assume more guns are made then destroyed each year, which means that every year there are more guns. If you have more of something it stands to reason it is more easily obtained. The second part is that places like Chicago, had their gun laws overturned. This is never really discussed, but in 2010 City of Chicago's gun laws were found unconstitutional. The Chicago gun registry program that was started in 1968 had was ended in 2013 due to concealed carry being passed by IL.

Generally speaking I would say that laws are trending to make guns more accessible not less. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

Here is the text of the law:

Public Law 115-8 115th Congress Joint Resolution Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the rule submitted by the Social Security Administration relating to Implementation of the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007. <<NOTE: Feb. 28, 2017 - [H.J. Res. 40]>> Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That Congress disapproves the rule submitted by the Social Security Administration relating to Implementation of the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007 (published at 81 Fed. Reg. 91702 (December 19, 2016)), and such rule shall have no force or effect. Approved February 28, 2017.

The Obama rule was somewhat controversial as it could have been adversely applied to anyone, but the new law absolutely made it easier for people with mental issues to get guns. That coupled with many other rulings and laws, have (imo) made guns easier to purchase and own in the United States.

Edited by Soxbadger

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

The number of total guns on the street is certainly increasing.  The secondary market is flooded with affordable options, even at stores like Cabelas.

Well, one obvious reason for the upswing has been the “Obama’s going to take away our guns, so we need to stockpile them now” refrain of the NRA from 2008-2016...it’s hard for me to imagine, but they successfully painted a picture of government jackboots storming into houses across American and confiscating everyone’s weapons.

17 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Do you really think if they don't name the shooter it will help solve the problem? I suppose if it keeps one from shooting it is way more than worth it. I just think the cat is already out of the bag. They don't show the morons running out on the field anymore, but it still happens from time to time.

You have to name the shooter, it's gonna get out either way.  When they start delving deep in to the why part, it sometimes can become glorifying for certain kids who feel they are in the same boat.  And I don't know if there is much the media can do, the internet runs so deep, these facts or non-facts are gonna reach people on way or another.

The most important thing is figuring out how to keep the guns from them. And if Dad just has them laying around, what can you do?

29 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

You have to name the shooter, it's gonna get out either way.  When they start delving deep in to the why part, it sometimes can become glorifying for certain kids who feel they are in the same boat.  And I don't know if there is much the media can do, the internet runs so deep, these facts or non-facts are gonna reach people on way or another.

The most important thing is figuring out how to keep the guns from them. And if Dad just has them laying around, what can you do?

That is the issue I have. Leaving it to the internet probably makes it worse.