Personal Top 5 wants for the 2018 Draft

KnightsOnMintSt

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 10:51 PM)
For me, my top 5 are

1. Gorman

2. McClanahan

3. Liberatore

4. De Sedas

5. Mize

Note: I think Singer and Hankins will both go top 3. I wouldn't be crazy about De Sedas, as I have heard reports about the kid batting switch and not hitting well as a lefty, which is not good.

I'm all aboard the LHP train as well, if Gorman isn't there. Obviously things will change between now and June. I'd be kind of bummed if they went with another RHP.

I heard the same on De Sedas. If he continues to struggle, I think you only take him if he is okay going back to just hitting righty. If he wants to continue experimenting with switch hitting even though its not working, take someone else.

Also did anyone hear comment I think Hostetler made in one of the podcasts about the kids attitudes being something they really value and look into? I was kind of wondering if that was about Kelenic because someone said how he might not handle failure well, but it might also have been about De Sedas staying with switch hitting even when people are advising him against it.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 11:06 PM)
I think this is the guy I was stuck on last summer when I was thinking of a stud SS coming out of college that I really wanted the Sox to go after. Pretty sure it was Eierman and I saw him because I was watching Burger's games.

Eierman looks good, but he would have to show that he would definitely stay at short to move up boards, but the bigger problem is that he struggled mightily this past summer with the national team and teams are wondering if he can hit with wood. Its the same reason Seth Beer probably can't move up too much even if he has a great year. Also I don't know if the Sox would have him rated higher than they did Burger last year because I think he had a lot more strikeouts than Burger and we know the Sox value guys with low strikeouts and high walk rates. That's why I could actually see us taking a flier on Beer in the second round because even when he struggled with wood, he still walked a ton and didn't strike out a lot.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 11:12 PM)
Eierman looks good, but he would have to show that he would definitely stay at short to move up boards, but the bigger problem is that he struggled mightily this past summer with the national team and teams are wondering if he can hit with wood. Its the same reason Seth Beer probably can't move up too much even if he has a great year. Also I don't know if the Sox would have him rated higher than they did Burger last year because I think he had a lot more strikeouts than Burger and we know the Sox value guys with low strikeouts and high walk rates. That's why I could actually see us taking a flier on Beer in the second round because even when he struggled with wood, he still walked a ton and didn't strike out a lot.

I would cream my jorts for Beer in the 2nd RD.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 09:08 AM)
I personally have Beer pegged for one of those like 4 Royals picks between the first and second round (assuming Hosmer and Mous sign elsewhere).

Was thinking the same thing. They got like 15478964 picks this year. I'd be shocked if they don't explore that route if their scouts like him enough.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 09:01 AM)
I think Casey Mize is a guy to watch, and I could easily see him going in the top 5 picks with another strong season in the SEC.

Agreed fully. There is so much quality pitching at the top of this draft class. Im hoping a college bat or two force the issue and work there way into top 5 consideration though.

For me at this early point.

1. Gorman

2. McClanahan

3. Hankins

4. Mize

5. Kelenic

Though I'm hoping Turang forces the issue since he plays 5 miles down the road from me.

I think this draft is deep in mid infield and left handed pitching which to me may be the weakest areas of our farm so I would think this draft profiles well to our needs. Obviously, you want the best player available but certainly later when there are groups of players equally rated, I would load up on lefties.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 10:44 AM)
1.) Hankins

2.) De Sedas

3.) McClanahan

4.) Liberatore

5.) Gilbert

I like Turang's defense a ton, but I am really skeptical how his bat will play at the next level.

I like Logan Gilbert as a name to watch. Great Cape Cod stats, and two solid seasons at Stetson. 6'5", 195 lb prototypical pitcher's frame. Three potential plus pitches, and potential plus control.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 11:41 AM)
I don't really understand the Madrigal love at all. He's a 2B. Pass.

1. Ethan Hankins

2. Nander de Sedas

3. Brice Turang

4. Shane McClanahan

5. Matt Liberatore

People said that about Pedroia too. Madrigal can hit...but yeah...not really much need if he projects at 2B. But he's a definitely good.

I've read a few places that Turang has been overrated. Be interested to see what kind of spring he has.

I'll admit I hadn't even heard of Nander de Sedas before recently pulling up mocks....but he's as intriguing as anybody I've read up on.

Would be awful hard to pass on him IMO.

Liberatore's HS in only a few miles from me...so I hope I can get out there a few times and see him. Hopefully get to see Gorman too.

If somehow Hankins falls to #4...he'd be awful hard to pass on.

Good list...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 08:43 PM)
For now.

The scouting world is divided on whether he sticks there or not. Obviously, his father filled out and played 3B for most of his major league career, mostly with the Expos and Cardinals.

There is a chance that Burger doesn't stick at third but I still would prefer a shortstop. you can still slide a shortstop to third if needed but you can't put the third baseman in the middle if.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 01:26 AM)
There is a chance that Burger doesn't stick at third but I still would prefer a shortstop. you can still slide a shortstop to third if needed but you can't put the third baseman in the middle if.

Mark Teahen was moved to 2B and OF, although not so successfully...or Gordon Beckham.