Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

5 hours ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

No. I'm saying that that question, in this thread, reeks of trying to get people even more riled up. Trading away Moncada is in itself not something that is any way realistic considering the circumstances. Even less so based on the fact that we would get nowhere near the return we sent out to trade for him in the first place. That being said..I realllly hope you were just being facetious to lighten the mood up in here a bit. That would make a lot more sense than actually bringing up the notion of trading Moncada right now. 

Not sure I follow. Are you saying its okay to discuss trade scenarios involving Jose, Avi and even Rodon but Moncada is off limits? Or...are you saying I should 'read the room' before posting lest I offend people by inquiring if Moncada has trade value? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Flash said:

Not sure I follow. Are you saying its okay to discuss trade scenarios involving Jose, Avi and even Rodon but Moncada is off limits? Or...are you saying I should 'read the room' before posting lest I offend people by inquiring if Moncada has trade value? 

Trading Abreu, Avi, or Rodon actually makes baseball sense. Trading Moncada makes zero baseball sense. Does that answer your question? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Trading Abreu, Avi, or Rodon actually makes baseball sense. Trading Moncada makes zero baseball sense. Does that answer your question? 

My question pertained to his trade value. You have no way of determining what makes 'baseball sense' without knowing the return. By the way, I can come up with multiple trade scenarios that make perfect baseball sense.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Flash said:

My question pertained to his trade value. You have no way of determining what makes 'baseball sense' without knowing the return. By the way, I can come up with multiple trade scenarios that make perfect baseball sense.

Trading a young MLB player with high upside for prospects is asking to be terrible.  No matter what value he nets, it's doesn't add up.  You gather prospects to get players like Moncada and they don't come by often. 

And unless your scenario is "Everyone in the White Sox organization not named Yoan Moncada is dead and we need to field a team", there is no scenario for trading an asset like Yoan Moncada this early in his career.

This is some Wrigley Field level stupid right here.

Edited by AustinIllini
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Are you suggesting there isn’t anyone on any roster you wouldn’t rather have? Unless you know who you are getting how do you know it doesn’t make sense? Now if we start saying things like trading him for prospects, or  trading for the most likely trade offers, then I’m inclined to agree. But if some team wants to grossly overpay, then it could, in theory, make sense. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Are you suggesting there isn’t anyone on any roster you wouldn’t rather have? Unless you know who you are getting how do you know it doesn’t make sense? Now if we start saying things like trading him for prospects, or  trading for the most likely trade offers, then I’m inclined to agree. But if some team wants to grossly overpay, then it could, in theory, make sense. 

At this point in time, with the amount of information we have, there is exactly one player that I'd trade Moncada in a package to acquire(because I know it would take more than him to acquire him and that is Mike Trout. He has the potential to be a notch below Trout. Moncada is available for nobody other than Trout. If you read the prospect stuff in 2017 they said it might take a season or two's worth of PA for Moncada to figure it out. It is looking like they were very correct. They did say that Moncada might break baseball if he reaches his ceiling, which is putting up seasons among the best in the history of the game. There is zero reason to give up on that potential until you are pretty sure it won't be even close to approached by him while he's playing for the White Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

22 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Trading a young MLB player with high upside for prospects is asking to be terrible.  No matter what value he nets, it's doesn't add up.  You gather prospects to get players like Moncada and they don't come by often. 

And unless your scenario is "Everyone in the White Sox organization not named Yoan Moncada is dead and we need to field a team", there is no scenario for trading an asset like Yoan Moncada this early in his career.

This is some Wrigley Field level stupid right here.

1st para: Your first two sentences are complete oversimplifications and your 3rd is unfounded conjecture and at this point, ridiculous.

2nd para: You make a broad generalization on asset management as if your opinion reflects the only way to build a winning roster.

3rd: You can hold up Moncada as something he's not until his value falls below zero but lobbing insults from behind a firewall is weak     

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

At this point in time, with the amount of information we have, there is exactly one player that I'd trade Moncada in a package to acquire(because I know it would take more than him to acquire him and that is Mike Trout. He has the potential to be a notch below Trout. Moncada is available for nobody other than Trout. If you read the prospect stuff in 2017 they said it might take a season or two's worth of PA for Moncada to figure it out. It is looking like they were very correct. They did say that he might break baseball if he reaches his ceiling, which is putting up seasons among the best in the history of the game.  

I don’t disagree with you at all. There are a few more players I would add, but realistically no team would make the trade so it’s really not worth discussing. 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I don’t disagree with you at all. There are a few more players I would add, but realistically no team would make the trade so it’s really not worth discussing. 

Exactly my point, which is why bringing up Moncada's trade value is nothing other than pointless whining and mental masturbation. I edited my post to add this, You don't trade Moncada until you are at least 70% sure that he won't scratch the surface of his ceiling while playing for the White Sox. If he does it elsewhere after you trade him if it reaches that point, so be it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Exactly my point, which is why bringing up Moncada's trade value is nothing other than pointless whining and mental masturbation. 

So say the Sox sign Machado this offseason to play 3B, Madrigal hits .350 in the minors and Moncada has a 2 WAR season yet someone is offering you a controlled star like Yelich this past offseason for him?  It's not that far-fetched.

Edited by fathom

1 minute ago, fathom said:

So say the Sox sign Machado this offseason to play 3B, Madrigal hits .350 in the minors and Machado has a 2 WAR season yet someone is offering you a controlled star like Yelich this past offseason for him?  It's not that far-fetched.

It would have to be someone better than Christian Yelich for me to consider it. If the Yankees called and offered  someone like Luis Severino, I'd listen though. That is a completely far-fetched scenario because they have Gleyber Torres. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

At this point in time, with the amount of information we have, there is exactly one player that I'd trade Moncada in a package to acquire(because I know it would take more than him to acquire him and that is Mike Trout. He has the potential to be a notch below Trout. Moncada is available for nobody other than Trout. If you read the prospect stuff in 2017 they said it might take a season or two's worth of PA for Moncada to figure it out. It is looking like they were very correct. They did say that he might break baseball if he reaches his ceiling, which is putting up seasons among the best in the history of the game.  

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Please direct me to 'the amount of information we have' that leads you to make such a claim? Anything in his past performance that you can point out? Minor league career? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

Please direct me to 'the amount of information we have' that leads you to make such a claim? Anything in his past performance that you can point out? Minor league career? 

Go look at what he did in AAA last year for the first 2 months before he got hurt. He was absolutely destroying AAA before he missed a month. He seems to struggle with any sort of long layoff when returning. He was hitting .340 and had an OPS hovering around 1.000

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Bottom line for me is everyone could be involved in a trade that makes baseball sense. Some players are more likely. I agree that he isn’t on the likely list. 

Yes. It would have to be heavily lopsided in The White Sox favor to make a deal around Moncada at this point. Everyone is available, if the price is right. Nobody would be willing to pay what it costs to acquire Moncada currently. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Go look at what he did in AAA last year for the first 2 months before he got hurt. He was absolutely destroying AAA before he missed a month. He seems to struggle with any sort of long layoff when returning. He was hitting .340 and had an OPS hovering around 1.000

Thanks for pointing that out. I might have mistaken the career 36% SO rate at 227 career BA as an indication of value.