Explosive Devices Sent to Clintons, Soros and Obama

whitesoxfan99

21 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Oh my bad, ss2k5 just gave him a retort as a reprimand.

The same guy had made this whole long list of things that got too much focus and not enough focus, and then mentioned Warren's ancestry.  That was definitely something that fell into WAY too much time being wasted on.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The same guy had made this whole long list of things that got too much focus and not enough focus, and then mentioned Warren's ancestry.  That was definitely something that fell into WAY too much time being wasted on.

True but the other was only meant as a joke plus it was teed up so perfectly I had to take the swing.

As far as the rest goes it really the issue I've had with the coverage isn't so much that it's being covered obviously it's a big deal just like people are pretending it's a one off event and are engaging in selective amnesia.

I do hope this is a wakeup call for everybody but I remember how after Scalise was shot that was supposed to be a wakeup call. I think people stayed woke for maybe a week before going back to their tribes.

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

True but the other was only meant as a joke plus it was teed up so perfectly I had to take the swing.

As far as the rest goes it really the issue I've had with the coverage isn't so much that it's being covered obviously it's a big deal just like people are pretending it's a one off event and are engaging in selective amnesia.

I do hope this is a wakeup call for everybody but I remember how after Scalise was shot that was supposed to be a wakeup call. I think people stayed woke for maybe a week before going back to their tribes.

I think you are equating things that aren't really equal.  Bombs being sent through the mail to politicians is not an every day occurrence and shouldn't be viewed as such, especially if it is an attempt to falsely equate it to other unpleasantness.

Warren's ancestry has no relevance to this thread. Any posts concerning that will be given a warning. After that you'll be removed from the thread.

Keep it on the prospective bomber, one of the 14 packages, and any subsequent news reports.

The Scalise shooting would have gotten coverage for weeks and weeks had he not recovered from his injuries.

The scale/scope of this in terms of two past presidents and two other candidates (Biden/HRC) and at least two more for 2020 (Booker/Harris) makes this a huge story.

Let’s turn it around and argue Antifa operatives from Cal-Berkeley carried out a similar op on 14 prominent Republicans.

Is there ANY way Fox News, Breitbart, Alex Jones, Lou Dobbs...would not have bombarded the news with 24 hour coverage up through Election Day?

Did anyone tune in to Fox at this time?  I would bet they were covering the immigrant caravan...not referring to them as asylum/refugee seekers...and playing up that Mattis has authorized a heavily armed deployment at the border but as of yet there were no plans to shoot into the crowd of potential immigrants.

This guy has such a long rap sheet..but I’m also willing to bet if he was a white unemployed 35 year year old who played games in his mom’s basement that the story would be extended further than through this upcoming weekend.

https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article220694495.html

His remarks came a short time after he tweeted a complaint that the media’s focus on bombs was distracting from Republican efforts in the upcoming midterm elections.

“Republicans are doing so well in early voting, and at the polls, and now this “Bomb” stuff happens and the momentum greatly slows - news not talking politics,” Trump tweeted in the hours before Sayoc was taken into custody. “Very unfortunate, what is going on. Republicans, go out and vote!”

Trump’s tweet was an effort to refocus attention on the midterms that could alter the path of his presidency. His quote marks around “Bomb” were striking, suggesting the president might doubt the authenticity of the scare. That theory had gained steam in some quarters on the right.

A number of Trump’s allies, including his eldest son, Donald Jr., and conservative commentator Lou Dobbs, have used social media to promote the idea that the bombs may be a Democrat-run hoax. And the president’s favorite television show, Fox & Friends, ran a segment Friday morning in the hours before his tweet that raised the possibility that the bombs were a “false flag” operation meant to gin up Democratic enthusiasm.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for an explanation as to the president’s meaning.

Trump also issued a 3 a.m. tweet in which he complained that CNN and others were blaming him for the scare, saying they were “ridiculously comparing this to September 11th and the Oklahoma City bombing, yet when I criticize them they go wild and scream, ‘it’s just not Presidential!’” One of the packages was sent to CNN, forcing an evacuation of their Manhattan studios.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, lostfan said:

This dude may as well have put vials of his blood and semen labeled with his address and SSN in each package. Did he think the feds wouldn't find him immediately?

Pretty sure this guy wasnt thinking at all. Im guessing his defense is going to be insanity based on some of the comments from his former lawyer. 

1 minute ago, lostfan said:

This dude may as well have put vials of his blood and semen labeled with his address and SSN in each package. Did he think the feds wouldn't find him immediately?

Mentally disturbed people don’t think the same way those of us who watch CSI, NCIS or Criminal Minds do...maybe he wanted to be found?  Cry for help, seeking attention type of thing...had been thrown out of house, homeless, no life prospects, was defacing his driver’s license to seem younger (40-something) to have a better opportunity in the dating field, some wacky behavior.

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Mentally disturbed people don’t think the same way those of us who watch CSI, NCIS or Criminal Minds do...maybe he wanted to be found?  Cry for help, seeking attention type of thing...had been thrown out of house, homeless, no life prospects, was defacing his driver’s license to seem younger (40-something) to have a better opportunity in the dating field, some wacky behavior.

He was also according to reports a prolific steroid user which could have fucked around with the chemistry of his brain and exacerbated his already fragile mental state. Who knows. I'm sure at somepoint the media will get ahold of him and will get a better idea of his story.

Personally, I don't care I'm just glad he is caught without seriously injuring someone. 

19 hours ago, Quinarvy said:

Warren's ancestry has no relevance to this thread. Any posts concerning that will be given a warning. After that you'll be removed from the thread.

Keep it on the prospective bomber, one of the 14 packages, and any subsequent news reports.

My mistake. It was meant as one off joke I was not intentionally trying to derail the thread.

It won't happen again.

15 hours ago, lostfan said:

Yeah a few posts back I talked about how elusive mail bombers were and this guy was luckily not trying to get away with it.

4 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Earlier this morning, the President of the United States reiterated his long-running rhetoric that the media is the "enemy of the people"

I think he uses harsh words and is over the top but I do agree that the media is a huge influence on people and they don't always report news fairly.

So is this a package the guy caught last week sent before he was arrested or is this from someone else?

13 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I think he uses harsh words and is over the top but I do agree that the media is a huge influence on people and they don't always report news fairly.

So is this a package the guy caught last week sent before he was arrested or is this from someone else?

I find it really difficult to assess the actions of the two.

One is a single person absolutely able to be responsible for his own rhetoric and actions. The other is a term for a collection of thousands of independently operated web, tv, radio and print outlets. At any one time, any of which may report something poorly but the entire group is apparently responsible.

That term is impossible now. It seems most often it's referring to 24 hour news channels. To listen to the president, you'd assume CNN is the center of the media news universe, when the huge huge majority of people really only see CNN when they are in an airport.

The President of the United States has explicitly said in the past that he will call any media or story he doesn't like "fake news" as it will damage them in the eyes of his supporters, making any story that is not positive for him into a "fake news" fabricated partisan attack. At the same time, he will demagogue fake claims regarding a "migrant caravan" being full of middle eastern terrorists and gang members who may or may not be funded by George Soros coming to "invade" our country.

The package discovered today does appear to have been sent by the same ardent supporter of the President who liked to repeat the same "fake news"/"enemy of the people" rhetoric. The synagogue terrorist cited the literal fake news about the caravan being funded by Jews to attack America.

This sort of rhetoric has power. The bomber seems to have been largely apolitical before 2016, and then his social media streams changed to nearly all political posts. There is a portion of the media/social media that deliberately stews their consumers in hatred, paranoia and conspiracy mindset. Senators and Congressmen have repeated the same claims about Soros secretly funding everything, trying to "invade" our local governments.

Edited by StrangeSox

1 hour ago, Tony said:

The same can be said of The President. 

I do not take anything he says as fact or truth or get news from him.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I find it really difficult to assess the actions of the two.

One is a single person absolutely able to be responsible for his own rhetoric and actions. The other is a term for a collection of thousands of independently operated web, tv, radio and print outlets. At any one time, any of which may report something poorly but the entire group is apparently responsible.

That term is impossible now. It seems most often it's referring to 24 hour news channels. To listen to the president, you'd assume CNN is the center of the media news universe, when the huge huge majority of people really only see CNN when they are in an airport.

I think he is referring to the big 24 hour companies, a lot of people might not watch but they do see the articles or the headlines of the articles on social media. There are a lot of people (I am guilty sometimes as well) that just read a headline and believe it without actually reading the article or doing any research.

8 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I think he is referring to the big 24 hour companies, a lot of people might not watch but they do see the articles or the headlines of the articles on social media. There are a lot of people (I am guilty sometimes as well) that just read a headline and believe it without actually reading the article or doing any research.

Except the President uses one of those 24 hour companies as his primary source of news.  I haven't heard him complain about Fox News being "fake news."  There's a pretty obvious pattern to which media POTUS has decided is "fake news."

1. The shooter in the Pittsburgh synagogue was inspired to commit his heinous act by the false storyline that liberal billionaire George Soros was providing the financial backing for the caravan. It's not entirely clear where the shooter got this idea, but Fox Business Network anchor Lou Dobbs, for one, did a segment with Judicial Watch's Chris Farrell in which the notion is given credibility. The mainstream media repeatedly debunked this ridiculous claim and called it for what it is: anti-Semitism.

2. Trump's definition of "fake" news is this: News that is bad for him. How do I know? Because he tweeted about it! "The Fake News is working overtime," Trump tweeted in May. "Just reported that, despite the tremendous success we are having with the economy & all things else, 91% of the Network News about me is negative (Fake). Why do we work so hard in working with the media when it is corrupt? Take away credentials?" "Negative" and "fake" are not, of course, synonyms. Trump's attacks on the media's "inaccurate and even fraudulent reporting of the news" have to be understood in that context. This isn't about actual fake news at all. This is about Trump believing the media is not being nice enough to him.

3. Trump's tweet condemning the media for fomenting divisiveness includes this line: "The Fake News Media, the true Enemy of the People." We have a President who is simultaneously insisting that the media is the prime driver of the divisions and hatreds on the rise in this country and that the entire free and independent media are an enemy of the American people. The irony is suffocating.

What makes all of this worse is that Trump, at heart, doesn't hate the media at all. He loves the media. His Twitter feed, his interviews, his back-and-forths with reporters all make clear how much of an avid consumer of the mainstream media he is. He spends hours a day watching TV and tweeting about it. He not only knows reporters who cover him by sight but he also knows stories they've written about him and whether those stories were, in his mind, good ("true") or bad ("fake") for him. We've never had a President before who is such a connoisseur of the media or who cares as much about what the media thinks of him as Trump.

14 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

Except the President uses one of those 24 hour companies as his primary source of news.  I haven't heard him complain about Fox News being "fake news."  There's a pretty obvious pattern to which media POTUS has decided is "fake news."

I am trying to take Trump's personal views of each media company out of it. I do think these big media companies don't tell the whole truth in their headlines or stories and it has gotten even worse with Trump in office (on both sides of the aisle). And a lot of them turn everything he does in a negative or don't really report too much on the positive stuff that he has done. It is bad on both sides but it is pretty apparent nearly all of the big news companies don't like Trump and report on him in a negative light 95% of the time.

40 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

It's definitely one of those bizarre components of American society. 24-hour news (which I agree is the worst and most manipulative) is the most influential on what "the debate" is at any given moment, despite very few people actually watching it very much.

I think there's an old "drudge report" quality to it, "well if they are fiendishly covering it, there must be something we should stick to there".

Even if CNN and MSNBC were 80/20 anti-Trump, they’re cancelled out by Fox and Breitbart.

The majority of political radio talk shows in America are conservative.

The majority of small and medium-sized (distribution and population density served) newspapers tend to be owned by conservative conglomerates.

Most of the financial press (think Forbes, CNBC or Wall Street Journal) is at their heart conservative/fiscal conservative with a social conscience.  Same with Time, Newsweek, US World & News Report, etc.

Sure, you have The NY Times, Washington Post, Yahoo, Huffington Post, Mother Jones, The Onion...still not seeing where this idea of liberal bias is coming from, because we haven’t even touched sites like Gab, QAnon, Alex Jones, Matt Drudge (the entire alt-right media conspiracy infrastructure).

What exactly is the left equivalent of those groups...don’t give me names of groups (BLM, Nation of Islam, La Raza, etc.), let’s hear actual media entities with significant subscriber bases.

Edited by caulfield12

11 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I am trying to take Trump's personal views of each media company out of it. I do think these big media companies don't tell the whole truth in their headlines or stories and it has gotten even worse with Trump in office (on both sides of the aisle). And a lot of them turn everything he does in a negative or don't really report too much on the positive stuff that he has done. It is bad on both sides but it is pretty apparent nearly all of the big news companies don't like Trump and report on him in a negative light 95% of the time.

1) I think it's impossible to debate the validity of Trump's attacks on the media without accounting for where he directs those attacks.  He says "fake news" but it's not "24-hour reporting is bad and misleading" - it's "reporting of me in a bad light is bad and misleading."

2) I think you would find that Democrats would kindly point to Fox News' reporting on the Obama administration as evidence that aspects of the 24-hour news cycle were throwing out bad and misleading reporting prior to Donald Trump.  If the 24 hours news media is, in fact, partisan, it didn't start with the coverage of Donald Trump.

3) I think we can agree that the 24-hour news cycle is a bad thing generally.  But I'd just be cutting and pasting what bmags said above.

• Quin locked this topic