Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m hoping plays in CF over Engel as bad as that might be, but knowing this front office Adam will get another 500+ plate appearances to prove he can’t hit.

It will be Engel in CF and Jay in LF after Jimenez and Yoan collide on a pop up and they both tear their ACLs.  This will lead the way for the best acquisition of the offseason, Chris Johnson, to take over at 3rd base.  After he puts up a strong 0.5 fWAR season, Hahn will sign him to a 2-year extension and say this deal would have never been possible if they had money on the books 9 years from now.

• Haha 2

My 2 cents are that the White Sox front office was completely blindsided by Machado's decision today and is committed to not being a laughingstock for much longer. I trust the insiders who hinted that we were going for both, and I also think it's important to note that Bucket's last update on Harper was that we feel really good about where we're at with him.

I believe that Harper doesn't want to play for Philadelphia and has always been drawn to Chicago. By extension, I believe that if we match their offer, he would pick us. Given our financial situation and what just happened with Machado, there is no excuse to not do this. Contradictory front office quotes on $300 million be damned, the Sox know how important this is and I hope that they at least go down swinging. 

• Like 3

I will also add that the Phillies are the only true suitor for Harper other than us with the Padres being out and the Giants only being interested in a short-term deal. This could lead to a situation where the Phillies think they have him in the bag, so they lowball him, leading us to surprise them and sign him. Pretty much exactly what just happened to us, but in reverse. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

I will also add that the Phillies are the only true suitor for Harper other than us with the Padres being out and the Giants only being interested in a short-term deal. This could lead to a situation where the Phillies think they have him in the bag, so they lowball him, leading us to surprise them and sign him. Pretty much exactly what just happened to us, but in reverse. 

You mean why a team would purposefully throw doubt into the public's mind about how high they'd really be willing to go?  

Just now, R.J. said:

God bless you optimists. I was once like you.

It's me giving them one more shot. I would never revoke my fandom or anything like that, but we are one of two teams in contention for Bryce Harper so I at least am willing to wait until they miss on him to declare this offseason a total failure. Do I actually think we'll sign him? No, unfortunately. Prove me wrong Jerry

17 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

My 2 cents are that the White Sox front office was completely blindsided by Machado's decision today and is committed to not being a laughingstock for much longer. I trust the insiders who hinted that we were going for both, and I also think it's important to note that Bucket's last update on Harper was that we feel really good about where we're at with him.

I believe that Harper doesn't want to play for Philadelphia and has always been drawn to Chicago. By extension, I believe that if we match their offer, he would pick us. Given our financial situation and what just happened with Machado, there is no excuse to not do this. Contradictory front office quotes on $300 million be damned, the Sox know how important this is and I hope that they at least go down swinging. 

Oh they’ll go down swinging alright!

227E23DD-59D7-44C2-9FDC-62D8E8789262.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

It's me giving them one more shot. I would never revoke my fandom or anything like that, but we are one of two teams in contention for Bryce Harper so I at least am willing to wait until they miss on him to declare this offseason a total failure. Do I actually think we'll sign him? No, unfortunately. Prove me wrong Jerry

The problem is when you’re unwilling to give opt-outs, you’re not a serious threat to land one of these guys.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The problem is when you’re unwilling to give opt-outs, you’re not a serious threat to land one of these guys.

I would agree, but I don't necessarily believe Levine there. Plus, didn't Reinsdorf and the Sox more or less pioneer the opt-out? 

5 hours ago, fathom said:

Does anyone care about Hahn’s opinions on opt-out clauses or his comments on how they can be more productive when he didn’t even offer one to the 26 year old future Hall of Fame free agent?  If you won’t offer one to Machado, you won’t offer one to any player so what’s the point of discussing it?  What a joke.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

We can all hope that the Sox are still in contact with Harper and are continuing to work toward a potential deal.  If the Machado debacle taught them anything (which I have my doubts), they need to guarantee money.  Lots of it.  Harper is going to want more than Machado.  I don't see why the Sox wouldn't offer 10/$320 or so with an opt out.  Well, I do see why they wouldn't, but they certainly need to step the fuck up.

I think long term suitors of Harper are limited to the Sox, Phillies, and Nationals.  If it's true that Harper has reservations about playing in Philadelphia, the Sox have a shot...if they choose to take it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is simply a case of the Front Office believing they were in the driver's seat and had control of the situation. They could write the contract their way because no one else was truly stepping up to the plate for Manny. They TOTALLY misread the situation, and once again proves the absolute ineptitude of this staff. 

A day later, it's still not any less acceptable. 

Yep, instead of sealing the deal they were trying to get Machado on a discount and at their own price due to the lack of teams interested.  The Sox ultimately waited long enough for another team to swoop in and seal the deal.  Just some awful negotiating by Hahn and the gang.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is simply a case of the Front Office believing they were in the driver's seat and had control of the situation. They could write the contract their way because no one else was truly stepping up to the plate for Manny. They TOTALLY misread the situation, and once again proves the absolute ineptitude of this staff. 

A day later, it's still not any less acceptable. 

That Nightengale article says that they were told the bidding from the Padres was at $280 days ago and they said they were comfortable at $250. Then on Monday he called around and said they would sign at $300, the White Sox said "We're comfortable at $250" and he signed for $300. 

I can't remember how many times I said that the White Sox needed to wait until Machado's side gave a reasonable offer that they'd say yes to, and at that point accept the offer. That happened specifically Monday. They turned it down cold and are now making excuses.

They gave a reasonable offer that they would sign and the White Sox's front office said no.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That Nightengale article says that they were told the bidding from the Padres was at $280 days ago and they said they were comfortable at $250. Then on Monday he called around and said they would sign at $300, the White Sox said "We're comfortable at $250" and he signed for $300. 

I can't remember how many times I said that the White Sox needed to wait until Machado's side gave a reasonable offer that they'd say yes to, and at that point accept the offer. That happened specifically Monday. They turned it down cold and are now making excuses.

Yes, ultimately there’s no way Hahn and the gang weren’t informed of the offer they would have to match or exceed to acquire Machado’s services.  This is what agents do.

Maybe this learning experience will teach Hahn the lesson that wasting $13 million on family and friends is pointless because free agents take the highest offer so just give the guy the most damn money.  And that $13 million on Alonso and Jay could have been added to the Sox offer, along with even more money Hahn wasted on other stop-gaps this offseason.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

Yes, ultimately there’s no way Hahn and the gang weren’t informed of the offer they would have to match or exceed to acquire Machado’s services.  This is what agents do.

Maybe this learning experience will teach Hahn the lesson that wasting $13 million on family and friends is pointless because free agents take the highest offer so just give the guy the most damn money.  And that $13 million on Alonso and Jay could have been added to the Sox offer, along with even more money Hahn wasted on other stop-gaps this offseason.

They're not that smart. Either they thought that the agent was lying to them, or they thought that one season with his buddies was worth a $50 million discount, or maybe worst still they could have believed the bullcrap they spewed on Tuesday about how they thought an offer at $250 with team options was better than an offer at $300 with a player opt-out. None of those leave them looking good. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

They're not that smart. Either they thought that the agent was lying to them, or they thought that one season with his buddies was worth a $50 million discount, or maybe worst still they could have believed the bullcrap they spewed on Tuesday about how they thought an offer at $250 with team options was better than an offer at $300 with a player opt-out. None of those leave them looking good. 

If they thought their offer was more lucrative, it boggles my mind why they wouldn't have given the agent what he wanted, and what they considered a worse deal. Something isn't adding up in the White Sox spin. They got out negotiated. Nothing more, nothing less. They have a chance to right a wrong with Harper, but I suppose because he will want more than $300 million, the White Sox can't pay a guy that and build a winning team. I don't know why they don't try. They have tried to build a winning team on the cheap, and that hasn't worked out. Maybe they just cannot build a winning team.

• Like 2

Just now, Dick Allen said:

If they thought their offer was more lucrative, it boggles my mind why they wouldn't have given the agent what he wanted, and what they considered a worse deal. Something isn't adding up in the White Sox spin. They got out negotiated. Nothing more, nothing less. They have a chance to right a wrong with Harper, but I suppose because he will want more than $300 million, the White Sox can't pay a guy that and build a winning team. I don't know why they don't try. They have tried to build a winning team on the cheap, and that hasn't worked out. Maybe they just cannot build a winning team.

I don't think they got out negotiated, I think it boils down to Jerry being cheap. I mean, we say it with Eloy. He is literally concerned with paying guys 6-7years down the line with Eloy when he is going to be 90yrs old, and now 9-10yrs down the line with MAchado.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Just go with the answer that they're really this dumb. That hypothesis is 100% consistent with everything that we know. They don't understand modern contracts, they don't understand negotiations, they aren't professional, and they think that bringing in a guy's chums and all being a happy family is more important that running a professional business.