Jump to content

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Seems to be doing fine in Green Bay

Oh cool, an internal promotion on a team with a hall of fame QB, we've found a great example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bmags said:

Oh cool, an internal promotion on a team with a hall of fame QB, we've found a great example.

How about the Colts two years ago when they hired Ballard and then fired Pagano after a year? Or when the Rams kept their GM and hired Sean McVay?

Or are there some caveats for you there, too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nagy deserves flak for a lot of decisions this year but Bears fans are looking into the kneel down far too much.

The difference between make and miss at 36-38 yards and 41 is microscopic - it's probably more likely that a penalty or turnover kills them than the 3-5 yards helps.

It's really obvious that Nagy doesn't trust mitch but can you blame him? He's sitting at the podium defending his decision while his QB was turning it over twice late on his side of the field.

It's really tough to evaluate a coach with an incompetent QB. Nagy may not be the answer, but it's not because he kneeled down to kick a 41 yarder.

No, it's because he refused to run straight ahead for 3 straight posessions inside of the 5 yard line and ended up with 3 field goals. He finally ran Montgomery into the line on the 4th possesion inside the 5 and got a touchdown. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This shouldn't be how you evaluate the decision.

They could have not kneeled, ran and fumbled.

There are a lot of variables to evaluate.

The Bears didn't lose because they kneeled down. They lost because their QB can't hit open receivers and turned the ball over twice in a row late. They lost because their QB looks so lost in the red zone.

They lost because the coach doesn't know how to call plays in the red zone. The QB hit enough open receivers and got them inside the 5 4 times. The coach  decided that it was more effective to call pass plays, inside screens and stretch run plays instead of running it straight ahead into the end zone. They were running the ball with great results all the way down the field then when they got near the end, Nagy wouldn't call it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's apparent that the Bears can't even mistakenly draft a good QB, so why do we even hope that they try this over again?  Unless we find a gem, any rookie that steps into Soldier Field from now on and throws their first bad pass for a pick is going to be booed endlessly.

As frustrating as Cutler was, he was probably the best QB in Bears history and would likely be pretty damn good (relatively speaking) on this current team.  We traded for him because he was somewhat established already in the league and that is why I think the Bears need to pounce on one of these talents that may be on the block like Cam or Foles because we don't have 3-4 years to determine if another rookie QB is going to work out.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They lost because the coach doesn't know how to call plays in the red zone. The QB hit enough open receivers and got them inside the 5 4 times. The coach  decided that it was more effective to call pass plays, inside screens and stretch run plays instead of running it straight ahead into the end zone. They were running the ball with great results all the way down the field then when they got near the end, Nagy wouldn't call it. 

This. I can get mad for Mitch throwing a pick, but the reality is, there isn't a QB in the league that doesn't throw at least some picks. Mitch has not been a turnover prone QB, to where I can really hammer him for it.  I can tell you Skrines should have had a pick on Rivers on the 1st drive of the game and seperately, one the deep ball that Allen dropped, a better play by our DB and it is a possible INT too. If you get into the game of dropped picks vs. not, it gets messy (cause every QB benefits from some and has a few go there way). 

I think it sucks the Bears didn't pull this out, because if they win, I think there is a lot more positivity around the offensive game-plan. People would have slightly different glasses on.  I don't change my glasses (win or lose).  I saw a QB play significantly better. Everyone else may say..so what...it is still bad...but I go back to, while this season sucks and has been a bust (and probably will be), I still believe the Bears best foot forward is somehow in Mitch having a light switch flip and all of a sudden taking off.  That won't be a one game thing...but it certainly is something that could happen during the last half of the season.  

The Vikings were 4 games into the season and Cousins was horrible...now double down on those games and Cousins is one of the best QB's in football?  Note I am not saying that Mitch has been or is a good QB. By every single measure he has struggled, however, this past game, was his best game of the season and with improved play calling in the red zone, everyone would be ignoring that 4th quarter pick. And yes, the fumble sucked, but sometime bad things happen and it isn't as if Mitch has a "fumble" issue. Better a fumble than a pick, imo.  

But I think this week, more than any other, those who zero in on Mitch's game, will point out one Gabriel miss. I can watch any of the Bears opposing QB's and show that each teams QB regularly misses a throw or two a week. I also could point out quite a few 3rd down and other plays where Mitch went through his progressions, had nice footwork, and delivered strong throws (throws that many NFL QB's don't make).  Not good enough..but if I'm Nagy, I'm liking how Mitch came out and responded after such a horrific Saints game...could he get better, absolutely, but you also need to protect him somewhat from the media, especially in Chicago.  

One week at a time and Nagy has to know that his best foot forward is creating momentum for 2020 and if by doing that, they figure things out to get back into the race in 2019, great, but at this point forward, everything I am doing is centered around developing my players, most notably my offense and gameplan. Win trust 1 week at a time and prevent a massive collapse.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2019 at 2:41 PM, SoxAce said:

Well... at least we're not the Bucs.

 

lol, missing game winning FGs is very Bucs-like. Just saying. 

Edited by zenryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

It's about a 3% better chance he makes the kick, so yeah, not huge but still a difference (86.9% vs 84.3%)

Which is substantially better the chance of a turnover or more than the one yard we gave up when kneeling.  It was a dumb decision by a coach who playing afraid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

You're insane if you're taking Trubisky over Prescott and Goff...

Never said I would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SoxAce said:

Never said I would. 

Then I guess the both our answers are "No, watching Prescott and Goff each week doesn't make me point my finger and laugh at the TV enough as watching Trubisky does".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Then I guess the both our answers are "No, watching Prescott and Goff each week doesn't make me point my finger and laugh at the TV enough as watching Trubisky does".

I do think Ace's point does remain...a lot of QB's (even ones who are considered top 10ish in this league) play can fluctuate relatively dramatically week to week. Only the truly great ones deliver almost every single game.   Young players play will fluctuate even greater (because in general their tends to be more variability / inconsistency, imo), that said, it happens with veteran QB's too.  No different than a basketball player...sometimes they have great nights shooting the rock, sometimes not so good nights. Football and QB works the same way.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cowboys fans make me laugh at Prescott for numerous reasons. Can't wait to see the mistake money he's going to be making.

Goff was so bad in the Super Bowl, I honestly couldn't laugh (though he and his team shouldn't of been there in the first place). 

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SoxAce said:

Goff was so bad in the Super Bowl, I honestly couldn't laugh. 

Trubisky could only be so lucky. Maybe he'll get a ring some day as a backup on a good team that doesn't have to worry about Mitch sniffing the huddle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Trubisky could only be so lucky. Maybe he'll get a ring some day as a backup on a good team that doesn't have to worry about Mitch sniffing the huddle. 

Lol you are acting like I'm some kind of Mitch fan here. Go read this thread or the older NFL draft thread and see my reaction when we passed on Watson for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Lol you are acting like I'm some kind of Mitch fan here. Go read this thread or the older NFL draft thread and see my reaction when we passed on Watson for him.

I don't know what you think about Mitch, I'm just reacting to someone who got defensive when I made a joke about him and then compared him to being similarly bad as Prescott and Goff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I don't know what you think about Mitch, I'm just reacting to someone who got defensive when I made a joke about him and then compared him to being similarly bad as Prescott and Goff.

Nah not defensive just busting your chops with being a fan of two teams. Nothing more, nothing less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an outsider looking in this franchise is a mess. Pace probably has to go after this season. Book is out on Nagy with whatever that offense is supposed to be.  Mitch is probably out of the league in 2 years.

Feels good.  Nagy is also a moron.  I see some people defending the kneel but that is just inexcusable.  He had 40+ seconds left, a TO, and a fresh set of downs.  HOW you don't run the ball a couple times and then quadruple down to the media is AMAZING. 

Not sure what the percentages are but even 2 or 3 % on a couple yard gain would have probably been the difference.  Healthy Aaron Rodgers thanks Matt, Mitch, and Pace for the collapse.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a ton of articles like this from the off season.  Some really great stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really mad at how this season has played out but on the flip side, if the Bears fumble a run trying to gain a few extra yards, we'd be saying the same thing but in reverse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

As an outsider looking in this franchise is a mess. Pace probably has to go after this season. Book is out on Nagy with whatever that offense is supposed to be.  Mitch is probably out of the league in 2 years.

Feels good.  Nagy is also a moron.  I see some people defending the kneel but that is just inexcusable.  He had 40+ seconds left, a TO, and a fresh set of downs.  HOW you don't run the ball a couple times and then quadruple down to the media is AMAZING. 

Not sure what the percentages are but even 2 or 3 % on a couple yard gain would have probably been the difference.  Healthy Aaron Rodgers thanks Matt, Mitch, and Pace for the collapse.  

Nagy is at least acting like a moron. His defensive attitude about the kneel only convinces me he knows made a mistake - which in a sense is no big deal. It would be better to at least admit it was possibly the wrong decision. Instead, he keeps up this attitude. This may come as a surprise to him but stubbornness is not a sign of leadership. Growing and learning from mistakes is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are in a dome or have a really good kicker, then maybe you can just kneel down and kick the field goal. 

I feel like the Bears had a chance to do something there and with the recent problems it might have been worth it get some yards.  Straight up run, designed qb run, play action fake, try and take a shot.  Even just a pass play and tell Trubisky if the read isn't there, throw it out of bounds. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I am really mad at how this season has played out but on the flip side, if the Bears fumble a run trying to gain a few extra yards, we'd be saying the same thing but in reverse.

No, then we would just be angrier with Pace for trading up for another decent, not good or great, player in Montgomery.

The odds of a fumble there was 0.8%. Hell, I would've ran at out pattern with Miller or Robinson and got another 5-7 yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

 

They're sinking with Mitch. Might as well, we'll be better off with a clean house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×