Dallas Keuchel signs one year deal with Braves

SweatyFreddy

26 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

As opposed to blowing money on garbage like we have been? I know we get on them for mistakes but this is one we'd just have to bite. His worst case is what we see now.  .246 10 Homer's and good defense. I think a nice chunk of the salary would have been made up by not signing his friends and fan support. 

Ya, I’m not sure about that. Just wait until his defense begins to deteriorate half way through his contract...

44 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Ya, I’m not sure about that. Just wait until his defense begins to deteriorate half way through his contract...

I was referring to if his numbers were like that here this season. In 5 or 6 years I expect decline and still wouldn't be mad if we contended for 5 years. 

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

As opposed to blowing money on garbage like we have been? I know we get on them for mistakes but this is one we'd just have to bite. His worst case is what we see now.  .246 10 Homer's and good defense. I think a nice chunk of the salary would have been made up by not signing his friends and fan support. 

Calm down Drake. 

4 hours ago, pcq said:

As team historian why does no one but me mention the 64 team that was outstanding. 

The 63, 64 and 65 teams AVERAGED 96 wins a year. Think about that one for a minute boys and girls. They were absolutely terrific teams. Smartly managed, fundamentally sound with killer pitching staffs.

I'd give just about anything to see the White Sox once again be that good of a team and an organization. 

9 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I was referring to if his numbers were like that here this season. In 5 or 6 years I expect decline and still wouldn't be mad if we contended for 5 years. 

We would all be having kittens on this board...and you know it.

9 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

If he was hitting .241 with a 96 wRC+ for the Sox 40% of the way into this season like he is now, this board would be having a complete meltdown. “We’re stuck with this albatross of a contract for another 9.5 years!”

You don’t pay a guy $300M to play very good defense when his hitting and baserunning are both below average. He’s supposed to be in his “prime” years right now (after all, he turns just 27 next month). Why does he have career lows in most offensive categories and a career high in K%? He has time to turn it around this season still but I wouldn’t consider 63 games/265 plate appearances a very small sample size either.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If he was hitting .241 with a 96 wRC+ for the Sox 40% of the way into this season like he is now, this board would be having a complete meltdown. “We’re stuck with this albatross of a contract for another 9.5 years!”

You don’t pay a guy $300M to play very good defense when his hitting and baserunning are both below average. He’s supposed to be in his “prime” years right now (after all, he turns just 27 next month). Why does he have career lows in most offensive categories and a career high in K%? He has time to turn it around this season still but I wouldn’t consider 63 games/265 plate appearances a very small sample size either.

We dodged a bullet.  Now we still have an extra 30 million per year to spend on several good signings.

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The 63, 64 and 65 teams AVERAGED 96 wins a year. Think about that one for a minute boys and girls. They were absolutely terrific teams. Smartly managed, fundamentally sound with killer pitching staffs.

I'd give just about anything to see the White Sox once again be that good of a team and an organization. 

I'm just hoping for a winning season from this team. A season where the team wins more games than they lose. The 63, 64, and 65 teams had great pitching which is why they averaged 96 wins. This present pitching staff has 3  real good pitchers. (Giolito, Colome and Bummer) You can't win without any decent pitching. Either Hahn is baseball stupid or he's losing on purpose. I remember reading last season that Derek Jeter gets an additional $5 million dollars a year if he keeps the Marlins payroll low. I wonder if Hahn has the same clause in his contract. Even tho he has wasted millions of dollars this year on Nova, Jay, and Alonso the White sox will still have one of the lowest payrolls in MLB.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That’s my opinion as well. And this isn’t hindsight, I said this before the season even started. 

I wasn't posting at that time but I was against the signing of either.  Much rather use the money to extend our prospects as they mature into stars.  Rick has shown us that he knows how to do this to our advantage.  Does anyone really think that if Sale had a ten year 30 million per deal we would have been able to get the haul we got.  This forum would be doing the usual harping about how the FO screwed up. 

2 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

2 for 7

McCann and Colome

versus

Nova, Alonso, Herrera, Jay, Santana

Those 7 players have combined for 1.2 fWAR at a cost of ~$40M this season ($33M per fWAR if the season ended today). But the beautiful thing is that the only liability beyond this season is Herrera’s $8.5M. Machado has produced 1.0 fWAR at a cost of $30M this season ($30M per fWAR again if the season ended today). BUT Machado has $270M remaining beyond this season.

Similar production per dollar comparing those two groups this season BUT a huge liability to the tune of $270M remaining on Machado’s contract after this season. Yea, if I’m picking between those two groups I’m definitely taking the first, which has produced similarly per dollar spent this season and comes with basically no future liabilities after this season concludes.

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

We dodged a bullet.  Now we still have an extra 30 million per year to spend on several good signings.

Of course that is assuming the organization is smart enough to sign good players, assuming the organization even wants to spend that money and assuming any good players actually want to sign with the Sox. It takes two to make a deal you realize.

49 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Those 7 players have combined for 1.2 fWAR at a cost of ~$40M this season ($33M per fWAR if the season ended today). But the beautiful thing is that the only liability beyond this season is Herrera’s $8.5M. Machado has produced 1.0 fWAR at a cost of $30M this season ($30M per fWAR again if the season ended today). BUT Machado has $270M remaining beyond this season.

Similar production per dollar comparing those two groups this season BUT a huge liability to the tune of $270M remaining on Machado’s contract after this season. Yea, if I’m picking between those two groups I’m definitely taking the first, which has produced similarly per dollar spent this season and comes with basically no future liabilities after this season concludes.

If they keep insisting on playing Alonso they are going to be on the hook for money next year with him remember.

On 6/8/2019 at 12:01 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

Not long now. Can almost see it if you squint.