OVERVIEW FOR 2020

poppysox

8 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The risk there is that if they tank for another 2-3 years there may not be any fan base left, to say nothing of advertising / merchandising losses and their TV deal. 

I agree.  Last year's 100 losses should be the low point of the rebuild.  While not competitive this year, I would expect an improvement to 70-72 wins and at least a .500 record in 2020. 

Somebody mentioned that rebuilds aren't linear.  But by the same token, we're not going from a 100 losses to a 100 wins in a year either.

Progress needs to be made every year for the reasons Lip indicated above.

Edited by bubba phillips

I hope the FO isn't afraid to bring up Robert & Madrigal a little earlier than thought.  Being on a major league field with great players would probably develop them sooner rather than later.  When we drafted Madrigal we were told he was the player closest to the majors.  Playing with better players should help advance your development.  It would also give fans something to be interested in.  Sox are after all in the entertainment business.

Just now, poppysox said:

I hope the FO isn't afraid to bring up Robert & Madrigal a little earlier than thought.  Being on a major league field with great players would probably develop them sooner rather than later.  When we drafted Madrigal we were told he was the player closest to the majors.  Playing with better players should help advance your development.  It would also give fans something to be interested in.  Sox are after all in the entertainment business.

I hope the White Sox FO is terrified to bring up Madrigal he's a disaster right now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I hope the White Sox FO is terrified to bring up Madrigal he's a disaster right now.

Disaster seems aggressive.  His BABIP is way down.  I don't have the capability to watch Dash games, so not sure what is behind the lower BABIP this season, but his numbers would be pretty decent if his BABIP was where it was and should be.  

I definitely agree that he needs to be better, though.  

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Disaster seems aggressive.  His BABIP is way down.  I don't have the capability to watch Dash games, so not sure what is behind the lower BABIP this season, but his numbers would be pretty decent if his BABIP was where it was and should be.  

I definitely agree that he needs to be better, though.  

From the people who have watched him, it sounds like literally every ball off his bat is weak contact, and that's why his BABIP is so low, everything is an easy out.

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

From the people who have watched him, it sounds like literally every ball off his bat is weak contact, and that's why his BABIP is so low, everything is an easy out.

Yah that’s a bit different then. I think considering sources here is important, but definitely disappointing if true. 

But hey, he hit a bomb today!

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nah. They don’t need 5 OF - Eloy, Leury, Cordell, Tilson and Delmonico. It’ll be Delmonico.

One is the backup shortstop.  One will be the DH if Alonso goes.  Keep the Nick and Rick show going.

1 minute ago, oldsox said:

One is the backup shortstop.  One will be the DH if Alonso goes.  Keep the Nick and Rick show going.

That guy is also the starting CF, so.....where is Delmonico going to get bats? 

Eloy and Leury are going to be in the lineup most every day. Tilson will get RHP at bats before Delmonico. 

I guess it could work if Alonso was DFA, but that isn’t happening yet.

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

That guy is also the starting CF, so.....where is Delmonico going to get bats? 

Eloy and Leury are going to be in the lineup most every day. Tilson will get RHP at bats before Delmonico. 

I guess it could work if Alonso was DFA, but that isn’t happening yet.

I know the Sox won't eat Alonso money but Jimenez at DH would be my preference for health reasons.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Delmonico can play 1B and LF, so he has more positional versatility than Alonso. Just get Alonso out of here. 

As much as we all want it, there are nine million reasons it won't happen. JR does not like to pay people to not work, even if they suck at it.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:02 PM, OneDog847 said:

So in this plan the sox are signing 5 veteran FA in the offseason? This seems way too similar to the offseason where the Sox signed Melky/LaRoche/Robertson. We all know how that turned out.

The Sox should either pony up for elite talent like Cole, JD Martinez, and Rendon or not sign anyone at all and continue to tank for another 2-3 years while the young kids develop.

At this point you’re straight trolling.  Tanking for another 2-3 years would be beyond idiotic.

On 5/17/2019 at 4:54 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Delmonico can play 1B and LF, so he has more positional versatility than Alonso. Just get Alonso out of here. 

In my heart I agree but money talks.  JR does not like 9 million sitting and watching the game.