SoxTalk fan pulse: How far away are the Sox from competing?

Jack Parkman

How far away are the Sox from competing for a WC spot?   

90 members have voted

1. 1. How far away are the Sox?

• 2020- The injuries make 2019 look worse than it is, and with the right moves in the offseason they might even compete for the division
    • 2021-Injury recovery and more player development need to happen at the MLB level. 2020 is a year too early
    • 2022 or later- What? This team? Compete? Nah!
    • It's all Uncle Jerry's Fault-They'll never get over .500 until they get new ownership

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Did you know that the White Sox have used the 10th fewest IL games in the big leagues this season? And while the Yankees have spend a cumulative $57 million on the IL, the White Sox have spent just over $8 million - 3rd lowest in baseball? 

This is not a "rash of injuries", this is "a normal amount of injuries" and people need to expect that if they think we're competing next year. If you think this is enough injuries to derail your team, your team was not good in the first place. There's a good chance we're more banged up than this even though the team is young.

Does that IL time you're citing account for the 162 games lost for Michael Kopech, for example?

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Did you know that the White Sox have used the 10th fewest IL games in the big leagues this season? And while the Yankees have spend a cumulative $57 million on the IL, the White Sox have spent just over $8 million - 3rd lowest in baseball? 

This is not a "rash of injuries", this is "a normal amount of injuries" and people need to expect that if they think we're competing next year. If you think this is enough injuries to derail your team, your team was not good in the first place. There's a good chance we're more banged up than this even though the team is young.

Absolutely.  Too many people are assuming that the players injured this year will come back good as new (or even better) next year.  That's a stretch for the pitchers coming back from TJ surgery.  Sure they could be good as new.  They could also have a setback in their recovery (some may need a second procedure) or simply not progress from where they  were prior to the surgery.

Also, injuries will happen again next year.  Will they be to the same guys? different core players?  Will they be season ending for any key player?  Obviously no one knows.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

Absolutely.  Too many people are assuming that the players injured this year will come back good as new (or even better) next year.  That's a stretch for the pitchers coming back from TJ surgery.  Sure they could be good as new.  They could also have a setback in their recovery (some may need a second procedure) or simply not progress from where they  were prior to the surgery.

Also, injuries will happen again next year.  Will they be to the same guys? different core players?  Will they be season ending for any key player?  Obviously no one knows.

And we can keep adding some more “ifs,” McCann and Colome...

• Like 1

Just took my pulse. Here's where I stand:

1) Was very disappointed they didn't sign Harper. This has as much to do with him being a star as it does with his numbers. He would have made the Sox relevant. Did they even make an offer?

2) Not gonna get over the Tatis thing any time soon.

3) Am very pleased with the pre-All Star break performance.

4) Excited by the development of Moncada, TA, Giolito and arrivals of Jimenez and Cease.

5) Looking forward to some of the injured minor league arms to appear.

6) Really looking forward to Robert and Madrigal.

7) Seriously doubt we'll get a big name pitcher in FA.

8) Barring a front line starter being added, I feel like next year will be .500 give or take a few games.

9) I'm tired of the perennial losing.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes it does because he's on the MLB 60 day IL. It even counts Nate Jones, which feels like cheating. Without Jones we're the 7th healthiest team in baseball. 

The Sox have had injuries to all three of the MLB position players of the future. Who cares that Ryan Cordell, Jose Abreu, Leury Garcia, Charlie Tilson, Adam Engel, and even James McCann have been healthy? 

Anderson, Eloy and Moncada have all been on the injured list. Kopech is out for the year. Those are the injuries that matter.

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox have had injuries to all three of the MLB position players of the future. Who cares that Ryan Cordell, Jose Abreu, Leury Garcia, Charlie Tilson, Adam Engel, and even James McCann have been healthy? 

Anderson, Eloy and Moncada have all been on the injured list. Kopech is out for the year. Those are the injuries that matter.

Actual good teams are prepared to have that number of injuries. That number of injuries is still not a lot. If you're not prepared for that number of injuries, you are not a good team. If we want to be competitive next year we have to expect that. 

The Astros this year have had injuries to Altuve, Springer, Correa, Peacock, Pressly (all star reliever), and Lance McCullers is out all year. They have had a similar number of days spent on the IL to us. They're easily on pace for 100 wins. If you actually want to be a competitive team, that number of injuries needs to be something you yawn at.

2 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Just took my pulse. Here's where I stand:

1) Was very disappointed they didn't sign Harper. This has as much to do with him being a star as it does with his numbers. He would have made the Sox relevant. Did they even make an offer?

2) Not gonna get over the Tatis thing any time soon.

3) Am very pleased with the pre-All Star break performance.

4) Excited by the development of Moncada, TA, Giolito and arrivals of Jimenez and Cease.

5) Looking forward to some of the injured minor league arms to appear.

6) Really looking forward to Robert and Madrigal.

7) Seriously doubt we'll get a big name pitcher in FA.

😎 Barring a front line starter being added, I feel like next year will be .500 give or take a few games.

9) I'm tired of the perennial losing.

1.) I agree that Harper was a nice fit. Machado had too many red flags IMO. 2. Horrible blunder by Hahn; nullified though by Eloy acquisition. 3. Me too. 4. Me too. 5. Me too. 6. Me too; I predict Madrigal is just another guy, though. 7. Me too; don't really want one. I want 3-4 starting pitchers acquired for 3 years, 30 million apiece. 8. I think we'll stink next year cause I think management will not upgrade our pitching and our defense blows. I predict we'll be out of it early summer again. 9. Me too. NICE POST.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Actual good teams are prepared to have that number of injuries. That number of injuries is still not a lot. If you're not prepared for that number of injuries, you are not a good team. If we want to be competitive next year we have to expect that. 

The Astros this year have had injuries to Altuve, Springer, Correa, Peacock, Pressly (all star reliever), and Lance McCullers is out all year. They have had a similar number of days spent on the IL to us. They're easily on pace for 100 wins. If you actually want to be a competitive team, that number of injuries needs to be something you yawn at.

57% of your actual important players being injured isnt a lot?

Eloy, anderson, moncada, kopech

Not

Cease, gio, reynaldo 

If you expound to the minor leagues the sox lost even more pieces of their future for chunks of time. 

My point was that you're citing injury rates that include a bunch of nobodies. When you remove them, the sox have actually been pretty unlucky with their actual impact/future pieces.

If you're not prepared to lose more than 50% of your impact players, you're not good? 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not

Cease, gio, reynaldo 

If you expound to the minor leagues the sox lost even more pieces of their future for chunks of time. 

My point was that you're citing injury rates that include a bunch of nobodies. When you remove them, the sox have actually been pretty unlucky with their actual impact/future pieces.

If you're not prepared to lose more than 50% of your impact players, you're not good? Say what?

His point was that if you took Gregorious, Hicks, Judge, Severino, Stanton, Sanchez, Andujar, Bird, Betances...Encarnacion just broke his wrist, and Sabathia has been ouchy all year, so you’d expect to be 15 games below .500 instead of running away with the division.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/disabled-list/new-york-yankees/

That’s like all seven of those top 7 White Sox players being out, or 8 if you include Rodon.  In fact, they have enough depth that they still didn’t call up Clint Frazier, just like the Astros had Alvarez and Tucker.

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not

Cease, gio, reynaldo 

If you're not prepared to lose more than 50% of your impact players, you're not good? 

To the 10 day IL at some point in the season? No that's not even close to a lot. Cleveland: Clevinger, Kluber, Lindor, Ramirez, Carrasco, Naquin.