Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Flash

Machado do-over

Recommended Posts

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Keep in mind you are choosing two 30 year old starting pitchers over a 26 year old infielder, one with an injury history and one with declining stuff.  I’m not so sure your decision would be the correct one.

Who gives a shit if they’re 30? Take a look at the top 10 pitchers by fWAR this season. How many are 30+ years old?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Who gives a shit if they’re 30? Take a look at the top 10 pitchers by fWAR this season. How many are 30+ years old?

Check that, they will both be 31.

Duhhh...  because they will expect contracts that will be way more years than they will be good for.  You want to give both of them 5 year deals?  Cuz that’s what they will probably get.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Check that, they will both be 31.

Ok and how old are Scherzer, Lynn, Morton, DeGrom, Verlander, Ryu, and Grienke? Those are 7 of the top 10 by fWAR this season (Strasburg is #11).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Ok and how old are Scherzer, Lynn, Morton, DeGrom, Verlander, Ryu, and Grienke? Those are 7 of the top 10 by fWAR this season (Strasburg is #11).

That’s great but do you trust Strasburg to stay healthy or Bumgarner’s stuff to not decline further?  A young team like the Sox should be looking to stay young, not get older.  Hence, why Machado and Harper would have been great signings.  I’d rather have Cole.  Younger and still has his stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Sorry I haven’t personally collected Manny’s piss and tested it. And just because he hasn’t been caught by the league doesn’t mean he was clean either. Plenty of ways to hide it. How many “superstars” have actually received PED suspensions during the prime of their careers?

My evidence is his offensive performance this season and what I expect to come over the next 9 seasons. I mean he’s in his “prime” as a hitter yet he’s on pace for a career high strikeout rate? 14.7% last season to 20% this season. How often does that happen for a hitter entering their age 26/27 season?

Ok, so you’re basing this entire claim on one subpar season?  Obviously it couldn’t be a million other things like playing hurt, struggling to adjust to NL pitching in his first full season in the league, playing half his games at Petco, signing a $300M deal in the offseason and losing motivation, etc.  By default it has to be steroids wearing off...got it!

So you’ve explained why you think Machado is juicing, what’s your reasoning for believing the rest of the Orioles were juicing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ok, so you’re basing this entire claim on one subpar season?  Obviously it couldn’t be a million other things like playing hurt, struggling to adjust to NL pitching in his first full season in the league, playing half his games at Petco, signing a $300M deal in the offseason and losing motivation, etc.  By default it has to be steroids wearing off...got it!

So you’ve explained why you think Machado is juicing, what’s your reasoning for believing the rest of the Orioles were juicing?

Moncada is buddies with Castillo now.  Moncada had a bad season last year but has been amazing this year.  But what about all those nagging injuries this year?  He must be juicing too!

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ok, so you’re basing this entire claim on one subpar season?  Obviously it couldn’t be a million other things like playing hurt, struggling to adjust to NL pitching in his first full season in the league, playing half his games at Petco, signing a $300M deal in the offseason and losing motivation, etc.  By default it has to be steroids wearing off...got it!

So you’ve explained why you think Machado is juicing, what’s your reasoning for believing the rest of the Orioles were juicing?

It’s more than his paltry performance this season. The guy has always seemed off and easily raged. It’s not normal. Combine that with sharing a locker with his Orioles teammates, busted cheaters like Davis and Castillo, career year last season heading into free agency, and I’ve been skeptical for over a year now.

Like I said, the next 9 seasons will tell the story. What explanation will you have if he’s a 110 wRC+ or worse hitter next season? After all, I’ve been told he’s in his prime seasons, ages 26-28, the first two years of his 10 year contract.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only do-over I want is the millions of hours I spent on the message board from December through February. Good lord, that was unhealthy. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s more than his paltry performance this season. The guy has always seemed off and easily raged. It’s not normal. Combine that with sharing a locker with his Orioles teammates, busted cheaters like Davis and Castillo, career year last season heading into free agency, and I’ve been skeptical for over a year now.

Like I said, the next 9 seasons will tell the story. What explanation will you have if he’s a 110 wRC+ or worse hitter next season? After all, I’ve been told he’s in his prime seasons, ages 26-28, the first two years of his 10 year contract.

 

Honestly?  Probably that he lost some motivation after signing a $300M deal.  That wouldn’t be the first time that’s happened.  I certainly don’t think a guy being intense or even a dick on the field means he displaying roid rage...that’s simply ridiculous.

And Davis got busted for Adderall, much different than injecting your body with steroids.  That’s a serious reach IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ok, so you’re basing this entire claim on one subpar season?  Obviously it couldn’t be a million other things like playing hurt, struggling to adjust to NL pitching in his first full season in the league, playing half his games at Petco, signing a $300M deal in the offseason and losing motivation, etc.  By default it has to be steroids wearing off...got it!

So you’ve explained why you think Machado is juicing, what’s your reasoning for believing the rest of the Orioles were juicing?

Why didn't those same (supposed) steroids rub off on Jay, Castillo, Alonso, Herrera, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why didn't those same (supposed) steroids rub off on Jay, Castillo, Alonso, Herrera, etc.?

That’s a good question!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm late to the conversation. But I glad the Sox did not sign Machado. Roid rage or not, he is a complete and total dick. I'm proud to be a Sox fan, and I want my team to have players we can be proud of and who represent the city of Chicago. 

To me, the throwing the bat is nothing compared to the time he rolled his bat toward the catcher who was looking up to catch his foul ball, hoping the catcher would trip on his bat. 

It would have been awful tough to cheer for a dick like Machado. I probably would have, but I'm really glad he's not wearing a White Sox uniform and we don't have to suffer the embarrassment of his antics as a White Sox. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't that also make the fact that we DIDN'T go after Harper look somewhat dumb/er in retrospect?

If Hahn/front office had so much confidence in Moncada (and Anderson at SS), then why invest so much time and effort/energy, 2-3 months' worth, when Harper should/would have been the logical target the whole time?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I know I'm late to the conversation. But I glad the Sox did not sign Machado. Roid rage or not, he is a complete and total dick. I'm proud to be a Sox fan, and I want my team to have players we can be proud of and who represent the city of Chicago. 

To me, the throwing the bat is nothing compared to the time he rolled his bat toward the catcher who was looking up to catch his foul ball, hoping the catcher would trip on his bat. 

It would have been awful tough to cheer for a dick like Machado. I probably would have, but I'm really glad he's not wearing a White Sox uniform and we don't have to suffer the embarrassment of his antics as a White Sox. 

It's funny how we tend to resemble some certain posters and are at the oppo spectrum of others. I tend to agree with Vile a lot. It's like I am Vile. There's somebody else like that on the board who I agree with all the time. I forget the name right now for some reason. Sunday night blues I guess.

I agree with Vile that MM's behavior was a huge red flag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, caulfield12 said:

Doesn't that also make the fact that we DIDN'T go after Harper look somewhat dumb/er in retrospect?

If Hahn/front office had so much confidence in Moncada (and Anderson at SS), then why invest so much time and effort/energy, 2-3 months' worth, when Harper should/would have been the logical target the whole time?

 

 

It seemed like we really didn't want Harper cause he was an outfielder and we're kind of set there with Eloy, Robert and Rutherford for 10-15 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

The only do-over I want is the millions of hours I spent on the message board from December through February. Good lord, that was unhealthy. 

Great point, haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It's funny how we tend to resemble some certain posters and are at the oppo spectrum of others. I tend to agree with Vile a lot. It's like I am Vile. There's somebody else like that on the board who I agree with all the time. I forget the name right now for some reason. Sunday night blues I guess.

I agree with Vile that MM's behavior was a huge red flag.

Except he was a basketball coach for 10-15 years in the only state that cares more deeply about basketball than Kansas...Indiana (well, KS is probably third after Kentucky.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It seemed like we really didn't want Harper cause he was an outfielder and we're kind of set there with Eloy, Robert and Rutherford for 10-15 years.

Rutherford is far from a sure thing after this season...most of those projecting his stats would peg him as a 4th/5th outfielder type along the lines of a Ryan Sweeney that a regular everyday player.

The fact that he doesn't put up huge power numbers and he's not an elite defender doesn't help his cause.  In fact, Walker and Adolfo are both likely viewed (at least internally) as the more likely solutions, although both are far from can't miss prospects at this point.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It seemed like we really didn't want Harper cause he was an outfielder and we're kind of set there with Eloy, Robert and Rutherford for 10-15 years.

Lol...why do you keep lumping Rutherford in with Robert & Eloy?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Except he was a basketball coach for 10-15 years in the only state that cares more deeply about basketball than Kansas...Indiana (well, KS is probably third after Kentucky.)

I always thought that North Carolina was the state that came closest to Indiana when it comes to caring about basketball.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I always thought that North Carolina was the state that came closest to Indiana when it comes to caring about basketball.  

Well, obviously you have UNC, Duke and NC State...but, as an individual state, Kentucky is all about thoroughbred horses and basketball (Louisville/UK).

 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

The only do-over I want is the millions of hours I spent on the message board from December through February. Good lord, that was unhealthy. 

😆

winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I know I'm late to the conversation. But I glad the Sox did not sign Machado. Roid rage or not, he is a complete and total dick. I'm proud to be a Sox fan, and I want my team to have players we can be proud of and who represent the city of Chicago. 

To me, the throwing the bat is nothing compared to the time he rolled his bat toward the catcher who was looking up to catch his foul ball, hoping the catcher would trip on his bat. 

It would have been awful tough to cheer for a dick like Machado. I probably would have, but I'm really glad he's not wearing a White Sox uniform and we don't have to suffer the embarrassment of his antics as a White Sox. 

Yea, this article sums it up pretty well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/ny-sports-dodgers-fbi-investigation-machado-madden-20181020-story.html%3foutputType=amp

“This is a guy who’s playing for a $300 million contract in free agency this winter. Knowing this, knowing this blatant disrespect for the game and the disdain with which so many other players in the game have for him, you have to ask yourself: “What owner in their right mind would make that kind of longterm financial commitment to Machado? If this is the way he acts before he gets the money, what’s he going to be like after he gets his lifetime security? Good luck. And yet someone will still be blinded by his abilities – just like the Seattle Mariners in 2013 when they gave Robinson Cano (who also had a propensity for not running out ground balls) 10 years/$240 million. How’s that working out? Yankee fans can only hope it won’t be Hal Steinbrenner forgetting the lesson of Alex Rodriguez. Let the buyer beware.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yea, this article sums it up pretty well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/ny-sports-dodgers-fbi-investigation-machado-madden-20181020-story.html%3foutputType=amp

“This is a guy who’s playing for a $300 million contract in free agency this winter. Knowing this, knowing this blatant disrespect for the game and the disdain with which so many other players in the game have for him, you have to ask yourself: “What owner in their right mind would make that kind of longterm financial commitment to Machado? If this is the way he acts before he gets the money, what’s he going to be like after he gets his lifetime security? Good luck. And yet someone will still be blinded by his abilities – just like the Seattle Mariners in 2013 when they gave Robinson Cano (who also had a propensity for not running out ground balls) 10 years/$240 million. How’s that working out? Yankee fans can only hope it won’t be Hal Steinbrenner forgetting the lesson of Alex Rodriguez. Let the buyer beware.”

Machado and Cano were at totally different points in their careers...

An opinion piece from the NY Daily News is not going to be able to quantify the benefit of Bryce Harper "hustling" around the bases on a grand slam.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...why do you keep lumping Rutherford in with Robert & Eloy?

Rutherford will likely never see the Sox outfield.  He shouldn’t be grouped with Robert and Eloy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×