Fangraphs and Luis Robert

Look at Ray Ray Run

15 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Funny thing is I've always preferred Longenhagen to Kiley, so for FG's this really changes nothing for me.

longenhagen has good insight, but he took on such a prickish persona in his chats it made them unreadable. And the fangraphs chats being weekly make them so much more accessible than previously espn and BA. 

But now Law is on the athletic for me...so far this year looks like it will be better for prospect news.

Hasn't felt like there has been any new faces to prospect writing in a while.

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Just read through that.  Pretty nuts.  

Imo, giving an 80 to an A ball prospect is a bit much - I'd like to see a guy who has already proven himself at AA or so before slapping that grade on someone. That said, Franco is clearly really good so far.

Eric brought Robert up to 7; he said after talking with people in the industry, the consensus was he had him rated too low and brought him up higher.

This was interesting:

Vaughn has a very selective approach, letting strikes he can’t drive pass him by unless he has to put a ball in play, a skill I compared before the draft to Paul Konerko‘s (I mentioned this to a Special Assistant who scoffed and said he thought Vaughn was way better).

Scoffed at being Paul Konerko? If he's way better than Konerko, sign me up.

Vaughn’s post-draft TrackMan data is also supportive, and suggests he could be a .300/.400/.500 hitter.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This was interesting:

Vaughn has a very selective approach, letting strikes he can’t drive pass him by unless he has to put a ball in play, a skill I compared before the draft to Paul Konerko‘s (I mentioned this to a Special Assistant who scoffed and said he thought Vaughn was way better).

Scoffed at being Paul Konerko? If he's way better than Konerko, sign me up.

Vaughn’s post-draft TrackMan data is also supportive, and suggests he could be a .300/.400/.500 hitter.

Yeah, if our just-out-of-college 1B can be better than a prime Konerko in terms of power, hitting, and OBP...uh...I'll take that.

• 3 weeks later...

A must read article from Dan Z on Robert today.

TL:DR is that if Robert hits his 80th or 90th percentile ZIPS projections the White Sox are about even odds to make the playoffs.  And Dan is about as optimistic as you'll ever hear him on Robert beating his own projection system's odds.

Simply hitting lucky sevens with Luis Robert and none of the other young talent is enough to put a real scare into the rest of the division. None of this even takes into consideration the possibility that the White Sox make a big addition at the trade deadline should one of the more optimistic scenarios play out. Protect your wins, Cleveland and Minnesota; LouBob is coming for them.

@Quin @bmags @Balta1701 can one of  you guys move this thread to the main forum now that Robert is a Big Leaguer?  Or maybe this post can headline the new MLB one! Thanks!

Edited by chitownsportsfan

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nah, they've upgraded individual grades for players throughout the season. They have maintained their power grade by choice.

And there reasoning was... well lewis brinson who is also dark skinned and athletic and did cool things in the minors isn't good so Robert isn't either. 

Brinson never had a year like Robert has had though and literally downgrading a prospect because another human being had good tools and failed is one of the dumbest rationales ever. Players are unique. Lewis Brinsons outcome has nothing to do with Robert's.  Prospects of all kinds of abilities and skills have failed. Some elite walk/k rate guys were complete trash. Some elite contact guys with good defense were trash. 

Robert started the year exactly where he ended it for fangraphs, 20th. Which is absurd unless they expected him to go 35/45 with an ops over 1000 and a 165 wRC+. He was an unknown to start the year.

Yeah, I mean... if I find a player with similar tools to Luis Robert who DID pan out into a really good player, does it mean that Luis Robert WILL succeed?

I am assuming that Fangraphs would answer "no" to this question. (I assume this because it is the only logical answer)

It's a glaring logical fallacy. It's not even difficult to point it out either. 

I like Fangraphs, a lot. However, we all get attached to certain opinions that we've taken a strong stance on in the past. It can be hard to let them go. That being said - when you're being paid to be fair/credible/unbiased towards these players? It's a good deal less forgivable.