COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY YOU LISTED AS SUPPOSED S***HOLE COUNTRIES HAS FEWER COVID DEATHS PER CAPITA THAN THE US AND IT ISNT PARTICULARLY CLOSE.

You are easily the most negative unhappy,  person I know. If I said what a beautiful day not a cloud in the sky you would argue about how serious skin cancer is. 

30 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Lol. 

I forgot to be liberal is to think everything is wrong with this country. 

Otoh, believing America is great as is and still isn’t in need of significant improvement is what led to the last five years.  One side, trying to preserve the 1950’s, the other embracing a more diverse culture representative of all Americans.

If you’re a woman, minority, immigrant, non-Christian, LGBTQ...maybe America hasn’t been so great.   In fact, we’re having an argument today about no longer referring to immigrants as “aliens,” and, when you imagine being referred to in that way, you perhaps wouldn’t feel very welcome, either. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

42 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Otoh, believing America is great as is and still isn’t in need of significant improvement is what led to the last five years.  One side, trying to preserve the 1950’s, the other embracing a more diverse culture representative of all Americans.

If you’re a woman, minority, immigrant, non-Christian, LGBTQ...maybe America hasn’t been so great.   In fact, we’re having an argument today about no longer referring to immigrants as “aliens,” and, when you imagine being referred to in that way, you perhaps wouldn’t feel very welcome, either. 

We're not a perfect union and have a long way to go to get there. On most of those social issues we're middle of the pack,  which is embarrassing at best,  and horribly catastrophic at worse. It's sad that we don't see a third group. A group in the middle that believes we are great with an incredible opportunity to be even greater. 

I'm optimistic things will improve. Biden just signed multiple executive orders that should have been done a year ago that will help and put us on a better trajectory. But I'm certain someone will argue I'm wrong and they won't help, it will just make things worse.

From now on I will always balance anything positive with a negative. We're a great nation but we totally failed the people of Flint. We are a beacon of opportunity for many around the world then they will be hit with horrible racism and possibly murdered. We have an incredible constitution and form of government that was almost overthrown in one day, something the Confederate Army couldn't do in years. We have the best interstate highway system anywhere but with drunk drivers and corrupt cops that will kill you.  We have a horrible education and health system that bankrupts students and kills the poor. Trump really wanted that fence to keep Americans from moving south to a better country. 

Yep,  we have a ton of problems. More than will be solved in my children's children's lifetime. There are a few countries that would be very nice to move to,  but I'll stay here and keep working to improve this one because we have the people and resources to be amazing. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I keep saying J&J is the one that can be the game changer. Was really bummed to see their manufacturing efforts were quite behind.  If we get good news from them - not only is it another shot out there, ramping up distribution - but the one and done is a huge deal.  Can get double the coverage with the same # of shots...and immunity a few weeks faster.  

Like - literally - it could cut the window to get everyone who wants to be vaccinated down by month(s).  My fingers are crossed for good news - I still have my own personal goal - I want to have gotten at least an initial dose of the vaccine by March...which would mean my own personal objective of immunity by end of April.  

I am trying to maintain my expectations for May, which seems very plausible. Now among my brothers and their wives, now 3/8 have received at least dose 1. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

We're not a perfect union and have a long way to go to get there. On most of those social issues we're middle of the pack,  which is embarrassing at best,  and horribly catastrophic at worse. It's sad that we don't see a third group. A group in the middle that believes we are great with an incredible opportunity to be even greater. 

I'm optimistic things will improve. Biden just signed multiple executive orders that should have been done a year ago that will help and put us on a better trajectory. But I'm certain someone will argue I'm wrong and they won't help, it will just make things worse.

From now on I will always balance anything positive with a negative. We're a great nation but we totally failed the people of Flint. We are a beacon of opportunity for many around the world then they will be hit with horrible racism and possibly murdered. We have an incredible constitution and form of government that was almost overthrown in one day, something the Confederate Army couldn't do in years. We have the best interstate highway system anywhere but with drunk drivers and corrupt cops that will kill you.  We have a horrible education and health system that bankrupts students and kills the poor. Trump really wanted that fence to keep Americans from moving south to a better country. 

Yep,  we have a ton of problems. More than will be solved in my children's children's lifetime. There are a few countries that would be very nice to move to,  but I'll stay here and keep working to improve this one because we have the people and resources to be amazing. 

Between guns/violence, the state of K-12 public education (along with rising university costs), social inequality/disparity, climate change/environment and fixing ObamaCare, as well as our ailing/aging public infrastructure, Covid-19, institutional racism, police reform...we've got a ton of issues to address.

Right now, everything in the US pretty much comes with a caveat, YES, BUT...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Between guns/violence, the state of K-12 public education (along with rising university costs), social inequality/disparity, climate change/environment and fixing ObamaCare, as well as our ailing/aging public infrastructure, Covid-19, institutional racism, police reform...we've got a ton of issues to address.

Right now, everything in the US pretty much comes with a caveat, YES, BUT...

Exactly, but we don't do that with other stuff.  For example, tonight  I was enjoying a glass of Ranger Creek bourbon which is excellent,  but alcohol kills so many people each year. 

A few minutes ago Amazon delivery dropped off some woodworking supplies I'm planning on using this weekend,  which saved me from actually going into a store. Who would have thought that in less than 24 hours such a variety of products could be delivered?  But Amazon destroyed local businesses and treats their employees unfairly.

As liberals we are required to always mention what's wrong with the country. We can't fly the flag proudly. But we'll defend the right of any immigrant who proudly flies their home country's flag. If you do compliment your country your fellow liberals will QUICKLY and VIOLENTLY reprimand you for it and quickly point out all that is wrong with this shit hole of a country we are forced to live in. 

I have a nice home with great neighbors. But too many Americans are forced to live in squalor. I'm in a major city with excellent grocery stores but too many Americans are forced to live in food deserts with out access to fresh produce which adds to our obesity problem. So I won't enjoy my nice home,  my neighbors, or the food I eat because that is just wrong.

I have cancer and love MD Anderson Cancer Center. Their level of care is amazing,  I count my blessing after each visit. My care team is world class.  But too many Americans don't have this access for reasons from finances to location. That's horrible and wrong but should I love the care I get any less? 

It's really sad and tiring to be a liberal. But with so much to be unhappy about in America at least it's easy. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

“Go live somewhere else how dare you point out corruption” is not seeing the bad. It is excusing it.

Of course I never actually said go live somewhere else but creating a paper tiger is your specialty.  I asked for an example of a country you would rather live in.  But that simple declarative sentence is impossible for you to say. 

So why can't you say you would rather live in the United States?  There are a few possibilities. One is it isn't true and you would prefer to live elsewhere.  I can think of a few countries that are our equal or even better in some areas.  There is no single perfect country, but some are better fits than others. My brother in law lives in Dubai and Singapore and will never move back here. A high school friend has found love and happiness in Denmark. A few former friends in McAllen retired and moved to an ex-pat village in Mexico and love the peaceful, cheap,  living.  It doesn't seem difficult to name a country that would be a better fit for you. I enjoyed working and traveling throughout Mexico until the cartel violence took root. But I wouldn't want to move there. 

Another possibility is it is true and you do want to live in the US. But that would mean you have to agree with me,  and that's a horrible option and I understand you not wanting to do that. It also means that despite all we have to fix and improve upon,  we're still a damn good place to live. I can't image you believing that for a second. 

In the end it's clear you don't want to live in the US but you haven't found a better place or how to actually pull that off. One of the worse realities is the higher your degree the least amount of options you have to actually use the degree in a meaningful and fulfilling way. Add that to looking to immigrate and it's probably impossible. 

I pray most weeks that you find happiness one day. I'm certain it's out there for you. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Texsox said:

Exactly, but we don't do that with other stuff.  For example, tonight  I was enjoying a glass of Ranger Creek bourbon which is excellent,  but alcohol kills so many people each year. 

A few minutes ago Amazon delivery dropped off some woodworking supplies I'm planning on using this weekend,  which saved me from actually going into a store. Who would have thought that in less than 24 hours such a variety of products could be delivered?  But Amazon destroyed local businesses and treats their employees unfairly.

As liberals we are required to always mention what's wrong with the country. We can't fly the flag proudly. But we'll defend the right of any immigrant who proudly flies their home country's flag. If you do compliment your country your fellow liberals will QUICKLY and VIOLENTLY reprimand you for it and quickly point out all that is wrong with this shit hole of a country we are forced to live in. 

I have a nice home with great neighbors. But too many Americans are forced to live in squalor. I'm in a major city with excellent grocery stores but too many Americans are forced to live in food deserts with out access to fresh produce which adds to our obesity problem. So I won't enjoy my nice home,  my neighbors, or the food I eat because that is just wrong.

I have cancer and love MD Anderson Cancer Center. Their level of care is amazing,  I count my blessing after each visit. My care team is world class.  But too many Americans don't have this access for reasons from finances to location. That's horrible and wrong but should I love the care I get any less? 

It's really sad and tiring to be a liberal. But with so much to be unhappy about in America at least it's easy. 

You should come live in Chicago/Cook/Illinois.....there is a middle class and very well paid entrenched union culture that is run like a mafia but everyone is leaving (or talking about it) for Indiana or the south because they are being taxed to death.  Regardless of the fact that there are jobs and people are well off.

Crime is becoming more of an issue.

14 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

You should come live in Chicago/Cook/Illinois.....there is a middle class and very well paid entrenched union culture that is run like a mafia but everyone is leaving (or talking about it) for Indiana or the south because they are being taxed to death.  Regardless of the fact that there are jobs and people are well off.

Crime is becoming more of an issue.

Never. Second worse place on earth to live. 

14 hours ago, Texsox said:

Lol. 

I forgot to be liberal is to think everything is wrong with this country. 

I was hoping you were trolling instead of something this reductionist.

Criticizing the US governmental response to the coronavirus should not need to be paired with a compliment of general US governance. It is actually a good thing that US citizens should expect the best from their government, and not stare failure in the face and say "well, on the other hand I enjoy my local creek".

Vietnam is one of the most beautiful countries in the world with wonderful food, incredibly generous people and great street fashion. Its governmental response to COVID was genuinely extraordinary.

Would I rather be a Vietnamese citizen instead of an American? No. Would I rather the Vietnam government instead of the US government? No. Nobody here would. And nobody in this thread for months felt a need to bring in these statements because it really isn't relevant or necessary to couch criticism of the government's COVID with perspective that not everything ever is also bad. That is until you showed up with this argument.

So let us all welcome tex775.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yesterday 123 people died of COVID in Illinois, as it opens up more and more regions despite the new strain.

On the other hand, I used Grubhub, a company started in Chicago, to deliver wings. So, I don't know, I guess it's actually a great day.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Texsox said:

Tex, the bolded is garbage.  I suspect you know it is garbage.  But it's something a "liberal" on the Tucker Carlson show would say.  Liberals all hate America guys!

More to the point, if there were a "things you like about America" thread, I suspect people in this thread would have plenty of positive things to say.  But this is a COVID thread, dude.  And we haven't been doing great in that arena.  Hopefully with an administration in place who wants to tackle this crisis, there will be more positive news in this thread and you can stop complaining about this thread not being sunshine and roses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Literally the most American thing I can think of is looking to improve upon what we already have.  If that is now "Liberal" thinking, well that explains why I left the Republican Party.

All of the sudden it is being labeled as un-American to try to improve this country, as if you have to fall into line with conventional thinking, or get out.  This country used to welcome people looking to improve it, and the lives of people in it.  But now you can't out of fear you  might make your political party, or its leader, look bad.  As if party has become more important than country.  

It's sad.  

To be clear, the American response to COVID is 100% embarassing.  If not the worst in the world, when you factor in the resources and ability we have in this country, it should be considered the worst in the world.  The fact that the percentage of deaths we have versus our percentage of world population very clearly shows this failure.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

Tex, the bolded is garbage.  I suspect you know it is garbage.  But it's something a "liberal" on the Tucker Carlson show would say.  Liberals all hate America guys!

More to the point, if there were a "things you like about America" thread, I suspect people in this thread would have plenty of positive things to say.  But this is a COVID thread, dude.  And we haven't been doing great in that arena.  Hopefully with an administration in place who wants to tackle this crisis, there will be more positive news in this thread and you can stop complaining about this thread not being sunshine and roses.

I said we're a great country and look how fast I was shot down. But I agree our Covid response, like climate change,  became political and we suck when things become political. 

50 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be clear, the American response to COVID is 100% embarassing.  If not the worst in the world, when you factor in the resources and ability we have in this country, it should be considered the worst in the world.  The fact that the percentage of deaths we have versus our percentage of world population very clearly shows this failure.

It is embarassing and tragic. For some reason, we don't want to take it seriously. A group of my wife's relatives decided to have a large Thanksgiving. Half of them now have Covid. I went to the pick up area of one of my favorite restaurants and saw the place was packed.  They actually had a all you can eat pasta buffet. I wonder sometimes.

This was turned into a political issue when it shouldn't have. It has come to the point that I don't expect a whole lot out of my government. But in a case like this, both parties should have been working together to address this crisis. The fact that they didn't is a disgrace. And now that Trump is gone, there is no excuse for not taking decisive actions. People are dying, for god's sake. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I said we're a great country and look how fast I was shot down. But I agree our Covid response, like climate change,  became political and we suck when things become political. 

https://www.yahoo.com/now/texas-school-district-proposed-diversity-100050047.html

Here’s a Texas-sized example that is the quintessential argument that’s dividing our country today (race relations)...as an educator there, I’m sure you can appreciate the “both sides” aspect of it.  The fact that the Cornish family after all that time still didn’t feel welcome tells one that we still have a long ways to go, and it didn’t get any easier the last 4-5 years.  In the end, “liberals hate America” is the other side of the coin just as as labeling everyone on the other side a wanna-be Charlottesville Proud Boy rightfully rankles the majority of conservatives.  It’s the same argument Vietnam War protesters heard, or The Dixie Chicks.  If you don’t love your country in the same way I do, feel free to leave.  We can easily retreat back to these general arguments about legacy, diversity, cancel culture, identity politics and patriotism, but then we’re simply skirting the issue.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

No, you specifically said "We have a mostly honest government, imagine third world countries where corruption is the norm" and you got called out for it, and I believe quite fairly. You then compounded it by saying "But I don't think Nigeria or Nicaragua are doing better" - when in fact, they are. Nigeria has 147 deaths, Nicaragua 168. If the US had the same number of deaths per capita, we'd have under 10,000.

• Thanks 1

44000 doses were reported administered yesterday. If we could hit 44k/day we'd be at a 30k/day 7 day average even with no weekends. The most interesting numbers this week will be how bad the weekend dropoffs are with the new stations.

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Public health is inherently political and requires strong political action from our government.

• Like 2

Tear up the contracts with cvs and walgreens

Only 25% in Texas

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/around-25-of-cvs-walgreens-vaccines-for-texas-long-term-care-facilities-have-been-administered/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

5% in Mississippi

https://khn.org/news/article/cvs-and-walgreens-under-fire-for-slow-pace-of-vaccination-in-nursing-homes/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I'd sure hate to be under the government of one of those shithole "third world" countries and their incompetent management of this pandemic!

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/texas-school-district-proposed-diversity-100050047.html

Here’s a Texas-sized example that is the quintessential argument that’s dividing our country today (race relations)...as an educator there, I’m sure you can appreciate the “both sides” aspect of it.  The fact that the Cornish family after all that time still didn’t feel welcome tells one that we still have a long ways to go, and it didn’t get any easier the last 4-5 years.  In the end, “liberals hate America” is the other side of the coin just as as labeling everyone on the other side a wanna-be Charlottesville Proud Boy rightfully rankles the majority of conservatives.  It’s the same argument Vietnam War protesters heard, or The Dixie Chicks.  If you don’t love your country in the same way I do, feel free to leave.  We can easily retreat back to these general arguments about legacy, diversity, cancel culture, identity politics and patriotism, but then we’re simply skirting the issue.

I have friends in a couple school districts in my area that could share similar stories.

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

44000 doses were reported administered yesterday. If we could hit 44k/day we'd be at a 30k/day 7 day average even with no weekends. The most interesting numbers this week will be how bad the weekend dropoffs are with the new stations.

I'll just make it clear - we are in a pandemic - there is zero excuse for this to not be a 7 day a week 24/7 type of thing. Period.  If I could get my vaccine at 3 AM - I would get my vaccine.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Public health is inherently political and requires strong political action from our government.

It shouldn't be political.  I get Affordable Care act and the political aspect of that - but coronavirus should never have been as political as it was made to be.  And the politicans should have all been big boys & girls as it related to that (even if the president was unable to - the rest of them should have been able to).  Period - no excuse.  

• Thanks 1