Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
flavum

2005 Sox Rewind

Recommended Posts

Been enjoying watching these games. The game was so much better 15 years ago. 

Today's game is Bobby Jenks debut. Frank homers. JD plays 1st base. Podsednik beats out Jeter in an all star vote.

Edited by flavum
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been loving it.  Sometimes I forget how important Carl Everett was on that team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been really fun to see some games that you actually haven't seen in 15 years. We've all seen the highlights over and over again from the "classic" games in 2005, but turning on the TV in 2020 and seeing El Duque pitch to Todd Helton in Colorado in the 4th inning is something fun....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the best games from 2005 they haven’t been able to show also due to them being on other channels. AJP vs Dodgers, for example 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched part of the game today...Carl Everett in RF showing why he was a DH....my goodness he was scary bad out there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today’s game is a Sweaty Freddy win against the Indians. They would need those.

Also that night in baseball, Rafael Palmeiro got his 3000th hit, and would seemingly be on his way to Cooperstown. Weeks later, MLB would announce his steroid suspension and his career was over. 

Edited by flavum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today’s game was finishing off a four game sweep of the Indians after the break. It didn’t seem huge at the time, but then the Indians got hot...real hot. 

The Sox came home, lost 2 of 3 to the Tigers, and Frank Thomas never played for the Sox again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 75 career postseason plate appearances, Carl Everett never had an extra base hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No game today. Thursday they show 8/1/05. Buehrle gets ejected in the 6th, which breaks his streak of at least 6 innings. This would have been his 50th straight start going 6+. He went 6+ the next 10 starts (averaged 7).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, flavum said:

No game today. Thursday they show 8/1/05. Buehrle gets ejected in the 6th, which breaks his streak of at least 6 innings. This would have been his 50th straight start going 6+. He went 6+ the next 10 starts (averaged 7).

If I recall, Hawk losses his shit rather epically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

If I recall, Hawk losses his shit rather epically. 

Yes he did.

Some other stuff going on in this game in Baltimore...Palmeiro got suspended...he would come back after serving his whopping 10-day suspension, but played his last game at the end of August...Sox traded for Geoff Blum the day before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

If I recall, Hawk losses his shit rather epically. 

That was the epic meltdown on Joe West.  It was a classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That was the epic meltdown on Joe West.  It was a classic.

Brian Gorman, although West was on the crew. 
Hawk went off on West when Buehrle threw the glove down in Cleveland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, flavum said:

Brian Gorman, although West was on the crew. 
Hawk went off on West when Buehrle threw the glove down in Cleveland. 

Ah,  I thought was the one where West called him for the balk, and then ejected him for essentially being upset about getting called for the balk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick game today 8/6/05, Buehrle vs 42-yr-old Jamie Moyer. Moyer finished his career in 2012. Buehrle turns 42 next March. 
 

Sunday and Monday are vs the Yankees. Monday’s game is the 4 hr inning off Randy Johnson. This was when the lead on the Indians was slipping away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One week left of regular season games before they show the 12 postseason games.

The 9/20 Crede walkoff vs the Indians will be shown Saturday night. Probably the biggest win of the season. If they lost and the next two days went the same way, the Sox would have been in second place with 10 games left.    Uribe made a play in the 8th inning that could have been a season saver. AJ steps on Aaron Boone scoring from 3rd. It was a classic game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 5:55 PM, flavum said:

One week left of regular season games before they show the 12 postseason games.

The 9/20 Crede walkoff vs the Indians will be shown Saturday night. Probably the biggest win of the season. If they lost and the next two days went the same way, the Sox would have been in second place with 10 games left.    Uribe made a play in the 8th inning that could have been a season saver. AJ steps on Aaron Boone scoring from 3rd. It was a classic game. 

Watching the 9th inning now, anxiously waiting the Crede walkoff.  I am remembering how stressful that late September was!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wegner said:

Watching the 9th inning now, anxiously waiting the Crede walkoff.  I am remembering how stressful that late September was!!

Man I can't wait for the park to have that kind of electricity again. It's been way too long.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2020 at 10:02 AM, fathom said:

Some of the best games from 2005 they haven’t been able to show also due to them being on other channels. AJP vs Dodgers, for example 

Was at that game. Was such a great game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

35. 2005: White Sox over Astros in four
Series leverage: 56th
Game leverage: 1st

By our series leverage index -- which measures how tight the World Series was -- this ranks just 56th all time. But the games themselves were outrageously good. By our game leverage index, this was the tightest collection of World Series games ever. Every game was either tied or within one run in the eighth inning or later. Every White Sox starter went at least seven innings. Compare that to the seven-game series between the Cubs and Cleveland in 2016, in which no starting pitcher went seven. The White Sox's 11-1 postseason record ended a World Series drought that was two years longer than the Red Sox's had been.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29104085/ranking-every-world-series-mlb-history

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 10:08 PM, wegner said:

Watching the 9th inning now, anxiously waiting the Crede walkoff.  I am remembering how stressful that late September was!!

I thought that happened in the bottom of the 8th and the White Sox were losing.  The reality of that game has now changed.....and I was at the game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I thought that happened in the bottom of the 8th and the White Sox were losing.  The reality of that game has now changed.....and I was at the game.  

What surprised me about that game was when Jenks came in and he only had 4 saves at the time....I remembered that Hermanson was the closer for most of the year but I did not remember that Jenks only had 6 saves in the regular season in 2005...then Hermanson came in to pitch the 10th inning and I had totally forgotten that he had come back from injury to pitch at all late in 2005...but what I do remember not fondly is the dread that the Indians were gonna catch us in the standings ...Wake me up when September ends is what I remember

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wegner said:

What surprised me about that game was when Jenks came in and he only had 4 saves at the time....I remembered that Hermanson was the closer for most of the year but I did not remember that Jenks only had 6 saves in the regular season in 2005...then Hermanson came in to pitch the 10th inning and I had totally forgotten that he had come back from injury to pitch at all late in 2005...but what I do remember not fondly is the dread that the Indians were gonna catch us in the standings ...Wake me up when September ends is what I remember

Prior to that game, we were all panicked, and someone here took a photo of the Angels Rally Monkey and photoshopped Joe Crede’s face on it as the Rally Crede. It was after 9:00 and I was sitting in my office stressed out waiting, literally half this site had the Rally Crede as their avatar already, and bang. Even though we lost the next game, we had our swagger back. We went to Minny, lost game 1, then McCarthy gave us a great performance, and that was Cleveland’s last chance. I think that may have started the 8 game win streak to end the year. The Rally Crede and McCarthy, they pulled us out of it. Many of us had the Rally Crede as our avatars the rest of that offseason. 

And yes, I have this. credehr.wav

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, wegner said:

What surprised me about that game was when Jenks came in and he only had 4 saves at the time....I remembered that Hermanson was the closer for most of the year but I did not remember that Jenks only had 6 saves in the regular season in 2005...then Hermanson came in to pitch the 10th inning and I had totally forgotten that he had come back from injury to pitch at all late in 2005...but what I do remember not fondly is the dread that the Indians were gonna catch us in the standings ...Wake me up when September ends is what I remember

Shingo Takatsu opened the year as the closer to which seems kind of odd to think about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×