You can absolutely trade someone not on your 60 man roster

Look at Ray Ray Run

The Blue Jays have grabbed the first notable starting pitcher of deadline season, acquiring righty Taijuan Walker from the Mariners in exchange for a player to be named later. Both clubs have announced the trade. The PTBNL, per The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal (Twitter link), is someone not currently in Toronto’s 60-man player pool.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I had read on this site that you couldn't trade someone not on the 60 man. That, quite obviously, is not true. This changes things IMO.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Blue Jays have grabbed the first notable starting pitcher of deadline season, acquiring righty Taijuan Walker from the Mariners in exchange for a player to be named later. Both clubs have announced the trade. The PTBNL, per The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal (Twitter link), is someone not currently in Toronto’s 60-man player pool.

I had read on this site that you couldn't trade someone not on the 60 man. That, quite obviously, is not true. This changes things IMO.

Well yeah I always assumed this was the work around. The "player to be named later" and then resolving it within the 6 months or whatever.

4 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Well yeah I always assumed this was the work around. The "player to be named later" and then resolving it within the 6 months or whatever.

Yeah, I read something about giving two lists being likely this year:

One if you make the playoffs with the player you pick from this list

If we don't, you pick from this list.

• Like 2

Just now, wegner said:

Not that I am advocating for this necessarily, but what is the trade value of Michael Kopech at this time?

Have to figure it's still top 40ish prospect in baseball high, and then add the pitcher aspect to that and he's got some good value. I don't think the Sox explore that at all, but it's there.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Not that I am advocating for this necessarily, but what is the trade value of Michael Kopech at this time?

High. He still profiles as a TOR talent and has 5 years of control (6 with extra manipulation, which will be easy with a trade). He would be required in a deal for DeGrom. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Have to figure it's still top 40ish prospect in baseball high, and then add the pitcher aspect to that and he's got some good value. I don't think the Sox explore that at all, but it's there.

Thanks, Ray.

I would not be surprised if they dangle him in the offseason to see what they could get in return.  Maybe use him for a trade in which another team is looking to drop payroll but need value back in return?

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

High. He still profiles as a TOR talent and has 5 years of control (6 with extra manipulation, which will be easy with a trade). He would be required in a deal for DeGrom. 

Thanks, Eloy.  I think this board might just explode if we acquired Degrom!!

• Like 1

In the strictest sense it is absolutely true, which is why this is a player to be named later. Just like you can't trade a player until a year after they  were drafted so those players are included as players to be named later and then the trade gets finalized after the following draft. I don't know when the 60 man roster cut off ends, probably after the playoffs are over.

8 minutes ago, wegner said:

Thanks, Ray.

I would not be surprised if they dangle him in the offseason to see what they could get in return.  Maybe use him for a trade in which another team is looking to drop payroll but need value back in return?

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked. I think the bad PR is something they may be weary of, but if the team doesn't really like him - and they would know through exit interviews and just day to day interactions with the players - I think they'd be more willing to move on. 

Trading a guy who opted out may not look great, but if the players aren't on board I would believe they may move him.

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

In the strictest sense it is absolutely true, which is why this is a player to be named later. Just like you can't trade a player until a year after they  were drafted so those players are included as players to be named later and then the trade gets finalized after the following draft. I don't know when the 60 man roster cut off ends, probably after the playoffs are over.

They changed this to you cannot trade a guy you drafted now - even as a PTBNL - until after the conclusion of the World Series. So they have fixed the first year player loophole for the most part. Meaning the Sox can't draft anyone from this past draft.

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked. I think the bad PR is something they may be weary of, but if the team doesn't really like him - and they would know through exit interviews and just day to day interactions with the players - I think they'd be more willing to move on. 

Trading a guy who opted out may not look great, but if the players aren't on board I would believe they may move him.

His value will also be depressed due to the fact that he only has a few inconsistent start in the MLB and won't have pitched in a game in 2 1/2 years. I don't think they would get appropriate value for him.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't think anyone thought Hahn has lost a trade to Theo in their dealings.

I meant as far as general perception of the job the two have done. I don't think many people would have said that Hahn was the "smart" GM and Theo was the "dumb" one in any scenario.

Edited by ptatc

25 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I think somebody posted that Kopech can't be traded this season because he is not on the 60 man roster.  Not sure if that is accurate.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This changed from the intial discussions.  Originally it was ONLY guys on the 60 man roster, period.

9 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

why is this guy allowed to post here? 

Why is sox talk allowing itself to be a platform for hateful and bigoted nonsense? 

For the record, even if it isn't happening quickly,  we are usually working on these kind of posts behind the scenes.  Reporting the posts is way more helpful than creating more chaos by dragging this into other threads by personally targeting people instead of content. 

You all should know by now the minimal standards we try to keep here. It isn't difficult.  We make it pretty obvious that we won't allow posts that are over sexual, racial, and any other common decency lines. If that is a problem for you,  then you are in the wrong place. It won't hurt our feelings if you feel blocking racist sentiment is a deal breaker and you need it in your baseball home, so you go elsewhere. 

Soxtalk has been this way for almost 20 years now, and has zero plans to change.  We all get these are unprecedented times, and we are all a bit more agitated than normal,  but we still won't let certain lines we crossed.