2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

2 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Doesn't biden just need Nevada to win? He already has 264 electoral, only needs 6 more which is exactly the number Nevada has.

Assuming AZ really does come through yes.  Even without AZ, PA would win Biden the election.  GA alone would put him at 269, which would promise at least a split, and a win with one more electoral vote.

10 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Regardless of what happens in the end (a Biden win or a Trump win), the Democratic party needs to take a close look at themselves and figure out how to improve.  There was no blue wave, and taking over the Senate seems unlikely.  Biden may win, but it'll be a close finish and not the same-night whalloping they wanted/expected.  They are out of touch with Latinos, they lost some of the black male vote, and there's still people voting for the other party because of who the Democratic nominee was.

If you look at the field of Democratic hopefuls that entered the race, who was better qualified to take down Trump?  I don't know if there was anyone better, and it's looking like Biden might be just good enough.  And that "just good enough" was helped by some prominent Republicans backing him because he wasn't Trump.  Also, COVID, and Trump's handling of it, helped Biden.

If Biden wins, my guess is Kamala runs in 2024.  Would she be a strong enough candidate to fight off Trump Jr or (shudder) Tucker Carlson?  How does the party as a whole get more voters?  How can they go into 2024 feeling good about their chances?

I obviously don't have the answer, but the party needs to take a close look at themselves.

The Democrats have won the popular vote in 7 of the last 8 elections, including this one.  While the Dems can always look to improve, I think the national message is very clear in the opposite direction.

Hopefully all states have learned something from this strange election. Mail in ballots increase participation. Everyone should be for that. And laws that now don't allow for counting of mail in ballots until election day are archaic and need to be changed. 

I don't think you would have seen Eric Trump in PA with Rudy on his hip, whining how his father lead with 86% of the vote calculated. It would have been the other way around. And if your legal team is Rudy at this point, even without Borat, there is really little else to be said.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Hopefully all states have learned something from this strange election. Mail in ballots increase participation. Everyone should be for that. And laws that now don't allow for counting of mail in ballots until election day are archaic and need to be changed. 

I don't think you would have seen Eric Trump in PA with Rudy on his hip, whining how his father lead with 86% of the vote calculated. It would have been the other way around. And if your legal team is Rudy at this point, even without Borat, there is really little else to be said.

😂

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

It’s hilarious that people were worried about an armed insurrection and all you have is a bunch of idiots showing up to election centers and arguing amongst themselves whether to start or stop the counting. 

I would withhold judgment until it's officially called and twitter orders start coming in.

10 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

If you want to obsess over every vote update, go here:

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html

IGNORE the "Votes remaining" column, and the "Biden needs x%" column, they're based on estimated data that isn't useful. But the "Vote Differential" "Change" and "Block Breakdown" are useful to look at.

I like this one better:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pFOyR6dSoAjqSe6miIAnxUaQUIlc2cy8lybg-gWw-_I/htmlview?

So, if Nevada is called for Biden by Fox news and/or the other outlets that called Arizona for Biden, do they call the presidential race?  I can't imagine they would unless they go with "apparent winner".  My guess is that they don't really say anything.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

These dummies know the networks don’t actually influence the results correct?

They may know (or maybe not), but stuff like this feeds right into Trump supporters' thinking.  If you look at Twitter, the amount of supporters claiming "fraud" and a "rigged vote" or "dead people voting" or "people voting more than once" is staggering.  Putting something like this out will just get them more wound up and claim that the networks, including their previously loved FOX News, are in on the scam.