2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

FYI Supreme Court precedent is not law.  This is another reason why congress needs to actually write laws after courts write their decisions.  It cements precedent into place with a legal binding which brings consequences to those who act in defiance.  If congress had passed federal law legalizing abortion after Roe v Wade, states like those in the south wouldn't be able to pull the shit they're pulling.

But there's another discussion to be had on why hot button issues that have a court precedent set are never cemented into federal law (politicians get to use those issues as scare tactics to maintain their grip on power, "Vote for me or the Republicans will make abortion illegal!" or "the Dems will take your guns!")

Edited by joesaiditstrue

2 minutes ago, pcq said:

Wonder if GAO has a ballpark on all the money the Trumps have looted. Just dont do it on Michigan Ave. 

We are lucky to have the privilege to discuss looting and theft in a negative manner. Who are we to judge Trump for his white collar theft?

1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I think he wins GA still. Not sure about PA. 

If the current mail ballot percentages hold he wins both by about 20k. Will that be true? Dunno. Lots of other provisional and absentee ballots to count in PA cities too.

1 minute ago, joesaiditstrue said:

FYI Supreme Court precedent is not law.  This is another reason why congress needs to actually write laws after courts write their decisions.  It cements precedent into place with a legal binding which brings consequences to those who act in defiance.  If congress had passed federal law legalizing abortion after Roe v Wade, states like those in the south wouldn't be able to pull the shit they're pulling.

However 32 states have some sort of law that is valid according to that decision, including all the ones we are talking about now.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Feels like a lot of republicans are unhitching their wagons already. 

With the GOP likely maintaining control of the Senate, I wouldn't be surprised to see some beginning to distance themselves from the raving lunacy that is Trump right now.

4 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Anybody but Trump.  If covid didn't happen, Trump was going to win pretty easily.

I doubt that. The hatred of Trump totally envelopes America.  Yes he has a zillion supporters but they for the most part are quiet. The media narrative that they are a bunch of thugs running amok beating people up is wrong. They may be shining their guns but for the most part have their guns locked away until needed. Trump hatred has been a daily occurence in media, sports, pretty much everywhere except one cable channel (Fox) and one broadcaster (Rush). I think Joe woulda won in a landslide even w/out COVID. The kinder, gentler, nice polite Joe was destined to win and win big against a more rude, crass Trump. Just my take.

I hope and pray Joe brings the country together, stays healthy and wards off the ideas of more radical Demos. Best of luck to Joe!

Edited by greg775