2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

6 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

I've had the feeling Mcconnell almost preferred Biden at this point. I honestly think he hated Trump

McConnell is probably licking his black and blue lips at the prospect of controlling another Democratic president.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I doubt that. The hatred of Trump totally envelopes America.  Yes he has a zillion supporters but they for the most part are quiet. The media narrative that they are a bunch of thugs running amok beating people up is wrong. They may be shining their guns but for the most part have their guns locked away until needed. Trump hatred has been a daily occurence in media, sports, pretty much everywhere except one cable channel (Fox) and one broadcaster (Rush). I think Joe woulda won in a landslide even w/out COVID. The kinder, gentler, nice polite Joe was destined to win and win big against a more rude, crass Trump. Just my take.

I hope and pray Joe brings the country together, stays healthy and wards off the ideas of more radical Demos. Best of luck to Joe!

COVID took away Trump’s greatest strength- the economy. Yeah, the left would have ran on him being a racist asshole, but in a non-traumatized world where people were living the high life, they’d overlook that. With that gone, however, the racist asshole with a shitty economy is bound to lose to just about any alternative.

20 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

I've had the feeling Mcconnell almost preferred Biden at this point. I honestly think he hated Trump

Wouldn’t surprise me. I work with a lot of people I disagree with politically. We get along just fine and I consider them friends. However, I tend to avoid any loud mouthed, idiotic carnival barkers with racist and conspiratorial tendencies who might exist at my workplace. If I were Senate majority leader, I’m sure I’d behave the same way.

The biggest issue with trump is his resistance to good advice. His racist talk, lies, insults whatever but the biggest problem is that he isn't able to listen to good advice and either alienates or fires any smart people that were around him.

Had he done all this crazy stupid talk but listened to experts especially on covid like for example merkel did in Germany trump would have easily been re elected.

You can be a loud mouth, self absorbed ass but then you can't be incompetent too. 

His first 3 years he kinda lucked into being seen as somewhat competent in economy but then when a real challenge came he was not smart enough to listen to the experts and run a solid policy.

Covid has stopped trump but it was not the virus but trump's terrible handling of it that killed him because such a crisis actually helps the leader if he does a semi decent job handling this. In europe you can see that too for example with merkel or the austrian chancellor too, they handled it well with rather restrictive measures and their popularity grew.

Trump didn't even act badly, he did nothing and made jokes about the virus and that is not what a leader does.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

That is the most punchable lying face I will ever see. Kayleigh polishing up her resume for a Jiffy Lube assistant manager gig.

Edited by pcq

2 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

The biggest issue with trump is his resistance to good advice. His racist talk, lies, insults whatever but the biggest problem is that he isn't able to listen to good advice and either alienates or fires any smart people that were around him.

Had he done all this crazy stupid talk but listened to experts especially on covid like for example merkel did in Germany trump would have easily been re elected.

This is a good point. As a military member, his employment of Mattis, Kelly, McMaster, etc, was enormously popular throughout the force. Of course, he ended up dumping all of them in less than friendly circumstances. I don’t know the stats on it, or even where to find them, but I think he’d be the worst performing Republican amongst service members in a long time.

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

This is the version of the math I see. Biden needs a 68-32 split to overcome that deficit, so it’s at least still close. 

When I posted this, Biden needed 68% of the remaining estimated number of votes. 

As of right now, Biden needs about 65% of the remaining votes, with just under 150,000 to count. Margin now is 46,000.

In other words...Biden was ahead of that pace for the last 85,000 ballots. At that pace, he wins Georgia tonight.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

When I posted this, Biden needed 68% of the remaining estimated number of votes. 

As of right now, Biden needs about 65% of the remaining votes, with just under 150,000 to count. Margin now is 46,000.

In other words...Biden was ahead of that pace for the last 85,000 ballots. At that pace, he wins Georgia tonight.

Biden going to win GA, PA, NV, and AZ. Trump already knows. There’s a reason he filed lawsuits in GA and PA already. He’s going to lose a close race in both.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Winning Georgia would be huge and would close another path for Trump.

Ugh hours ago I said GA may turn out to be a sub 10k victory for Trump and it looks to be playing that way.

Would have been nice to have 1 deep red state.

I know its still possible but running out of votes.

If Biden can get it to 150k or so at 90% that would be favorable.

4 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Redefine workers. Late stage capitalism can't exist in an automated world. 

When Trump won in 2016, I thought the best way was to retrain workers. Make coal miners change to a trade on alternative energy production, retrain workers in office jobs to work in health care or maybe train truck drivers to code. But then I did some research on retraining programs and questioned how much impact they had and wondered who would be in the best position to pay for retraining. An incentivized tax credit program could work as long as workers seek employment and work in that new industry. 

UBI would be interesting, although I don’t know how well it would be funded and last over the long term. I don’t know how much the private sector will contribute to upskilling or retraining employees and how short or long term automation will last when it comes to losing jobs.