And now Wheeler on the market

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't see why anyone wouldn't. It's not my money, and the team would instantly become the best in the AL for the foreseeable future

It would pretty much kill their flexibility and we'd be in a position like the Cubs were though. If some guys underperform they just have to deal with it. 

That being said I agree with it. However, there's no point in discussing it because it will never happen. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It would pretty much kill their flexibility and we'd be in a position like the Cubs were though. If some guys underperform they just have to deal with it. 

That being said I agree with it. However, there's no point in discussing it because it will never happen. 

For the love of god can people stop acting like the Cubs rebuild was a failure. 

40 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I care about my team winning than carrying forward some petty grudge.

It ain't petty my friend. If they won't be happy here than we don't want them. And if they turned down 7 million to not be here, they probably won't be happy. Not to mention we would have to add good prospects to get him. 

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Like the Cubs? Would you be upset with three straight ALCS appearances and a title in the next three years? Followed by more playoff appearances and chances at a title? 

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Like the Cubs? Would you be upset with three straight ALCS appearances and a title in the next three years? Followed by more playoff appearances and chances at a title? 

Hell no. The Cubs rebuild as a whole wasn't a failure at all. I think those who say it is are ridiculous. But pretending a lot of their players didn't severely underachieve in enough seasons is wrong though. It wasn't a failure and it was disappointing to their fans simultaneously. Does that make sense? 

Every one of their major players underachieved at one point or another except Rizzo after 2016. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It ain't petty my friend. If they won't be happy here than we don't want them. And if they turned down 7 million to not be here, they probably won't be happy. Not to mention we would have to add good prospects to get him. 

He took 6% less on the same amount of years to be closer to family and stay in NL. If I was choosing between jobs and one was 6% less salary but closer to home, it would not be a hard decision.

You guys act like he refused to even negotiate with the Sox. This is so dumb.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

He took 6% less on the same amount of years to be closer to family and stay in NL. If I was choosing between jobs and one was 6% less salary but closer to home, it would not be a hard decision.

Thanks bmags. This is exactly the point I was trying to make. 

This is how I think it went down: 

Wheeler: I'm planning on signing in Chicago

Mrs Wheeler: I'd really prefer to stay on the East Coast, close to NYC. What's the difference in money? 

Wheeler: 20M right now. 

Mrs Wheeler: If you can get the money close, I'd prefer to stay over here

Wheeler: Ok that makes sense

Wheeler goes to his agent and says that if they can get the money difference to under $10M we'll sign in Philly. Go to Klentak and see if he can get it done. 

Klentak obliges, Wheeler signs in Philly. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Hell no. The Cubs rebuild as a whole wasn't a failure at all. I think those who say it is are ridiculous. But pretending a lot of their players didn't severely underachieve in enough seasons is wrong though. It wasn't a failure and it was disappointing to their fans simultaneously. Does that make sense? 

I think their fans are wrong too. All you can ask for in baseball is to have a decent chance at a championship. The Cubs have been just that for the last six years. Especially when you consider they had almost nothing for 100 years. Kris Bryant has been hurt. Baez had one down year. Contreras is still good. Rizzoli is still good. Nico will be solid for them. They have Yu and Hendricks Frontline their rotation. Their problem was that Heyward contract and Torres trade. It prevented them from being able to shore up the pitching and bullpen. At this point they could still field a competitive team in that division for another few years. 

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Closer to his girlfriend's family. And we are talking about 7 million dollars, not 30 or 40 grand. If his decision was to be close to her family then his negotiations with us were probably to raise the Phillies offer, not to actually play for us. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Closer to his girlfriend's family. And we are talking about 7 million dollars, not 30 or 40 grand. If his decision was to be close to her family then his negotiations with us were probably to raise the Phillies offer, not to actually play for us. 

When you're talking about a 9 figure contract, $7m changes his quality of life zero percent. 

And BTW, they're married now and have a kid together. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

It was 7 million dollars. You acting like thats the same as me taking 100k instead of 106k is hilarious. 

Closer to family smh. These guys are on road 1/2 the year. They live elsewhere in off seasons.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

You are talking 7 million dollars over the course of a 5 year 118 million contract.

In terms of how it affects his life, it is no different than my example. That’s why percentage terms adds more clarity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It was 7 million dollars. You acting like thats the same as me taking 100k instead of 106k is hilarious. 

Closer to family smh. These guys are on road 1/2 the year. They live elsewhere in off seasons.

That is what it’s like when you are going to make 24 million a year in one place and 25 million in another.

Just now, bmags said:

That is what it’s like when you are going to make 24 million a year in one place and 25 million in another.

No, there literally nothing alike which is why 95% of players take the most money especially at the top of the FA pay scale but plenty of real world people don't move careers or jobs for the small raises i cited.

7 million dollars never stops being 7 million dollars. And part of the competition with these guys is salaries.