Cincinnati Reds Fire Sale Thread

iWiN4PreP

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ugh, I'm excited about something now.

If mous actually carried a lot of hurt on the reds books.

White Sox Get:
Luis Castillo ($4.4 mill)
Mike Moustakas ($14 mill)
Total (18.8 mill)

Cincinnati Reds Get:
Nick Madrigal ($575k)
Jonathan Stiever
Jared Kelly
Kade McClure

puts sox at $132mill.

Sign Jake McGee, Archie Bradley for 8mill, sign Austin Romine to minor league deal with a 1.8 mill season bonus.

Pitching staff
Giolito / Keuchel / Lynn / Castillo / Cease|Kopech Reserve: Lopez
Bullpen: Bradley, Bummer, McGee, Heuer, Marshall ,Foster, Fry, Reserve: Crochet

😍

I don't think the Reds do this.

3 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I don't think the Reds do this.

I don't either.

If I'm a reds fan and I'm trading castillo, i'd want a vaughn. I would rather trade with a padres and get Abrams, etc. 

But i'm not sure where to sweeten with position players.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't either.

If I'm a reds fan and I'm trading castillo, i'd want a vaughn. I would rather trade with a padres and get Abrams, etc. 

Right. I bet the Reds would ask for Eloy or Robert for Castillo, and then at that point the conversation would be over.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't either.

They don't have an Position for vaughn unless they are willing to eat votto's salary which they likely aren't.

I think think would prefer another prospect in the 15-25 overall range as a headliner that fits better into their lineup.

8 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Right. I bet the Reds would ask for Eloy or Robert for Castillo, and then at that point the conversation would be over.

I don’t think major league teams are that out of touch

theres absolutely no way they ask for eloy or robert

Castillo has the same amount of team control as Giolito and is approximately as good of a pitcher. Whatever the ask for Giolito would be is the same the Reds would want for Castillo if there wasn't money changing hands. How much is money worth to the Reds? Hopefully a lot lol.

39 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

They don't have an Position for vaughn unless they are willing to eat votto's salary which they likely aren't.

I think think would prefer another prospect in the 15-25 overall range as a headliner that fits better into their lineup.

Realistically they do have a spot for Vaughn.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

A ton or you may as well just sign Bauer as Joey is owed $95M over the next four seasons.

$82M over the next 3 with his buyout!

I would do it if the Reds chipped in $5M a year probably if I was confident that the level he's dropped off to the last two years is where he's done dropping off to, but I don't really think you can bank on that.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Ugh, I'm excited about something now.

If mous actually carried a lot of hurt on the reds books.

White Sox Get:
Luis Castillo ($4.4 mill)
Mike Moustakas ($14 mill)
Total (18.8 mill)

Cincinnati Reds Get:
Nick Madrigal ($575k)
Jonathan Stiever
Jared Kelly
Kade McClure

puts sox at $132mill.

Sign Jake McGee, Archie Bradley for 8mill, sign Austin Romine to minor league deal with a 1.8 mill season bonus.

Pitching staff
Giolito / Keuchel / Lynn / Castillo / Cease|Kopech Reserve: Lopez
Bullpen: Bradley, Bummer, McGee, Heuer, Marshall ,Foster, Fry, Reserve: Crochet

😍

That would be a killer staff and I'd think it would push us to the top of the 2021 rankings but I was trying to save Kelly for the "next wave".  Kopech, Kelly, Dalquist, Mena, and whoever's left of the above starters.

8 minutes ago, roto said:

That would be a killer staff and I'd think it would push us to the top of the 2021 rankings but I was trying to save Kelly for the "next wave".  Kopech, Kelly, Dalquist, Mena, and whoever's left of the above starters.

If including Jared Kelley gets the Sox 3 years of Luis Castillo, you do it.

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

If including Jared Kelley gets the Sox 3 years of Luis Castillo, you do it.

You are absolutely right.  3 years should be plenty of time to replace Kelly for the next wave of starters.  You start with my initial offer and close on yours.  We get our #2 and they get a future ace (?), an OBP machine to replace Mous. plus a bunch of salary relief.

Just now, Flash said:

Gotta believe if the Reds were to make Castillo available there would be a line of suiters willing to pay more than a package headlined by Madrigal.

well

1) yes, I don't think I've seen a package we've put together that I say "that might do it" and I made my own!

2) The hope is that so few teams can take on salary, that taking on a full salary from them + madrigal bridges that gap.

In a normal year, I'd say the reds would still take best talent. But this year... I still think they take best talent but we'll see if they even actually follow through on these trades. I don't hate their team even with the departures, and that division kinda sucks.

Luis Castillo is the one guy (that is known to be available) that I open the farm up for. Whatever they want. 

They want to add Mous to the deal? Sure! 

They want Cease + Vaughn? Ok. 

Cease + Vaughn + Stevier? Ok. 

Do I do Kopech + Vaughn? Maybe, but I'd hope to convince them of other deals. 

I think Castillo is safer than a Snell and just as good. 

• Like 1

why in the fuck are some here to get rid of our best prospects all the time? if I hear Vaughn and Madrigals name come up in a trade thread I will fucking puke. We need a DH/ First baseman now and 2 years from now. he is on our goddam roster who we took with the 3rd pick . Why would we want to trade that guy? Stupid talk but ive been reading it since we drafted him so I don't expect it to stop now.

Relax Steve.  We're just trying to build a kick ass rotation by taking advantage of a cash hungry, small market team.  I didn't include Vaughn in my offer.  I think Madrigal and Thompson (or Kelly) is fair for Castillo and they get Zavala and Sheets for us to take all of the Moustakas contract.  We shouldn't feel like we need to offer full value for Castillo because taking on the Moustakas contract is a big deal for a club like Cincy.

21 minutes ago, roto said:

Relax Steve.  We're just trying to build a kick ass rotation by taking advantage of a cash hungry, small market team.  I didn't include Vaughn in my offer.  I think Madrigal and Thompson (or Kelly) is fair for Castillo and they get Zavala and Sheets for us to take all of the Moustakas contract.  We shouldn't feel like we need to offer full value for Castillo because taking on the Moustakas contract is a big deal for a club like Cincy.

got it and im saying you did but don't you think it is ridiculous to talk about trading Madrigal and Vaughn for anything that is within reason. Their names should NEVER be mentioned at all unless it for the play on field. its been going on for 2 years now. ridiculous

25 minutes ago, SoxSteve said:

why in the fuck are some here to get rid of our best prospects all the time? if I hear Vaughn and Madrigals name come up in a trade thread I will fucking puke. We need a DH/ First baseman now and 2 years from now. he is on our goddam roster who we took with the 3rd pick . Why would we want to trade that guy? Stupid talk but ive been reading it since we drafted him so I don't expect it to stop now.

Sometimes people are just talking.  Throwing stuff at the wall.  User SoxFanBigJIm with a Modelo picture as his avi is currently unable to extend and actual offer to the Reds.

Vaughn comes up in trade speculation because this forum is discussing trade speculation.  And if you want a young, controllable, #1 starter you have to give something up in return.  I assume many of the people that float the idea of trading him would have a very hard time actually pulling the trigger.

And those that are definitely willing to part with him see Vaughn as a first baseman, largely blocked by the current reigning MVP and/or the fact that real (or pretend) GMs likely don't want to clog up the DH position for the foreseeable future.  Vaughns pre-arb years are extremely valuable, but much, much, much less so as a DH (or as the guy who pushes Abreu to DH).

1 hour ago, bmags said:

well

1) yes, I don't think I've seen a package we've put together that I say "that might do it" and I made my own!

2) The hope is that so few teams can take on salary, that taking on a full salary from them + madrigal bridges that gap.

In a normal year, I'd say the reds would still take best talent. But this year... I still think they take best talent but we'll see if they even actually follow through on these trades. I don't hate their team even with the departures, and that division kinda sucks.

But don't you think Padres, Angels, Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Nats, Astros or any number of other teams would love to pry away Castillo and might open the pursestrings?  Taking on Moustakis' contract as part of the deal is a small price to pay considering he is far from 'dead money'. 

• Like 1