Upcoming: Indians and Tigers

caulfield12

Looks like Engel could/should be back this week.

Stiever started today, so not an option...at least against CLE.

Really good news is that we miss Civale for sure.  McKenzie will start tmrw in one of the games, with Bieber/Cease on Tuesday.

Will be either a 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 game lead, the high water mark of the season so far.  The Indians down 4-0 in the fifth inning behind Hentges, who also won’t be able to start in the next three days.   Plesac and Reyes out still...being outscored 8-1 and 19-3 overall in weekend series against the Blue Jays.

Of course, the other big news from this weekend is how well the Tigers played against the Yankees.

And finally, the poor Orioles have now lost 13 in a row, only the recall of Adley Rutschman to look forward to.

Padres +86

White Sox +80

Dodgers +69

Giants +63 (but damaging Kershaw early today)

Rays  +61

Red Sox  +54

Astros +48

Toronto +43

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Jimmy Lambert sporting a Jon Adkins-esque 7.71 ERA in five AAA outing so far...obviously any pitcher in Charlotte would be challenged to be under 5. 

https://www.milb.com/player/jimmy-lambert-669424

Yes, but Jimmy also has 23 K / 6 BB in 11.2 IP. They brought him up last time, but snuck in Kopech. Hope they don't push Kopech unless he's 100% to do the same tomorrow.

Lopez has gone deeper in his starts (3 starts 11 IP vs. Jimmy's 5 starts), and has an 11 K / 3 BB ratio.

Mike Wright has been their best starter by far in their first month, with a 29 K / 6 BB ratio and 2.74 ERA in 4 starts / 23 IP. Perhaps he'll get a call up at some point if he can keep this up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, but Jimmy also has 23 K / 6 BB in 11.2 IP. They brought him up last time, but snuck in Kopech. Hope they don't push Kopech unless he's 100% to do the same tomorrow.

Lopez has gone deeper in his starts (3 starts 11 IP vs. Jimmy's 5 starts), and has an 11 K / 3 BB ratio.

Mike Wright has been their best starter by far in their first month, with a 29 K / 6 BB ratio and 2.74 ERA in 4 starts / 23 IP. Perhaps he'll get a call up at some point if he can keep this up.

Maybe it was just me but when I saw Mike Wright in ST I didn't see any pitch that looked like an MLB pitch.  I don't know why we wouldn't start Kopech or even start Crochet on a bullpen day.  

Also, if TLR can do Lynn on 3 days rest then why not also Keuchel?  4.2-5IP should be doable for both and that's the absolute most we could expect out of anyone coming up from Charlotte, and likely with much better results.

I do really like Lambert though so I am hoping he is healthy and throwing the ball well now.  If he is he can definitely stick in this pen/on this team.

8 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Maybe it was just me but when I saw Mike Wright in ST I didn't see any pitch that looked like an MLB pitch.  I don't know why we wouldn't start Kopech or even start Crochet on a bullpen day.  

Also, if TLR can do Lynn on 3 days rest then why not also Keuchel?  4.2-5IP should be doable for both and that's the absolute most we could expect out of anyone coming up from Charlotte, and likely with much better results.

I do really like Lambert though so I am hoping he is healthy and throwing the ball well now.  If he is he can definitely stick in this pen/on this team.

Kopech needs to be tested in the bullpen to determine whether he is healthy.

Wright looked bad in Arizona, but it's really a hitting environment and if he can continue consistent performances in Charlotte, he may be worth a shot if needed down the road.

Crochet has only gone more than 1 IP twice this season, and once over 26 pitches in any appearance. Unless they plan on stretching him a bit later in the season, or use him as an opener, he would need to build more stamina to be expected to give more than 1-2 innings. I don't expect Lambert to pitch more than 2-3 innings based on the fact he hasn't gone deep this year in his starts.

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Kopech needs to be tested in the bullpen to determine whether he is healthy.

Wright looked bad in Arizona, but it's really a hitting environment and if he can continue consistent performances in Charlotte, he may be worth a shot if needed down the road.

Crochet has only gone more than 1 IP twice this season, and once over 26 pitches in any appearance. Unless they plan on stretching him a bit later in the season, or use him as an opener, he would need to build more stamina to be expected to give more than 1-2 innings. I don't expect Lambert to pitch more than 2-3 innings based on the fact he hasn't gone deep this year in his starts.

Ugh I actually forgot Kopech went down that day.  :(

Just so everyone is aware, this team has the ability to force the Twinkies to be sellers at the deadline for sure.  We play them 10 times from June 28 to July 21st.  Literally, if we take care of business, it doesn't even matter how they play against other teams.  I'm still more concerned about them then CLE anyway.  CLE just wants a reason to continue to sell off players and cut salary.

You can make a good argument -- and I will -- that the Royals with their offseason actually have been trying harder to win baseball games than CLE has been.  That FO doesn't even want to try.  If they make any deadline move at all it'll be very minimal or another Bauer or Clevinger type of deal where they give up the best player in the deal and take back several much lesser players in return to stop some of the bleeding in those areas.  I'm not worried at all.

But MIN, if we even go 5-5 they might be done.  6-4 we're holding the shovel, 7-3 or better and they're dead and buried.

23 minutes ago, flavum said:

Semien RBI single off Clase. It can be done. Hopefully the Indians lose here again

edit: Chatwood can’t throw strikes. Montoyo apparently doesn’t care if they lose.

Just to show, there are stupid stupid managers out there worse than LaRussa.

Montoya literally gave that game to the Indians.

Tristan McKenzie is being summoned from AAA to start Monday for CLE.   We beat him up pretty good the last time he faced the Sox.

Three other Indians' names to watch this week on the pitching front are Cal Quantrill (Padres' trade), Jean Carlos Mejia and Logan Allen (Padres).

Edited by caulfield12

32 minutes ago, tray said:

This would have been where having Kopech as the 5th starter would have been huge.  As it stands, I just hope we can split this 4 game series with Cleveland.

Obviously, Bieber's tough, it's on the road...but we don't have to face Plesac (injured) or Cy Civale (pitched Sunday).

That alone means the worst one should expect is a split.   Which would be fine.

All things considered, they might as well trade Jose Ramirez, Karinchak, Clase and Bieber and just completely rebuild.

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Obviously, Bieber's tough, it's on the road...but we don't have to face Plesac (injured) or Cy Civale (pitched Sunday).

That alone means the worst one should expect is a split.   Which would be fine.

All things considered, they might as well trade Jose Ramirez, Karinchak, Clase and Bieber and just completely rebuild.

Yes, a split would be fine. The Indians wouldn't gain, and games are knocked off the schedule. In the long run, I just don't see the Indians overtaking the White Sox.