Sox @ Astros, 6/18 7:10 Central

gusguyman

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We merely want to know if Cespedes and/Vera are going to miss the entire season due to a paperwork backlog tied to Covid and previous admistration policy reversals on Cuba. 

Never would have thought Burger would be the biggest story of first half, though. 

Burger biggest story of the 1st half? Unless you are talking about the biggest story among Sox prospects in the minor leagues  I might give it to you. I'd say it's right up there with Where's Waldo (Cespedes) and the sucking of Kannapolis although they have shown some life lately.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Burger biggest story of the 1st half? Unless you are talking about the biggest story among Sox prospects in the minor leagues  I might give it to you. I'd say it's right up there with Where's Waldo (Cespedes) and the sucking of Kannapolis although they have shown some life lately.

Yep.  And our minor league pitching "studs" mostly being underperformers. 

Also, almost shockingly, Oakland now with second best record in baseball behind SFG. 

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

My thinking is...if Eloy comes back this offense cannot risk him going down again this season....the safest way to do that is to have him be the primary DH for the rest of this season.

No risk no reward. Can't play it safe. He's needed on the field whether we like it or not. Unfortunately Vaughn isn't hitting RHP so his presence in LF provides neither enough offense or defense to justify him out there 70% percent of the time. Sure play it safe a lot if we can maintain a record that ensures the division and home field advantage throughout the playoffs but eventually he'll have to play LF.

If the goal is the World Series and the Sox don't have the home field advantage that means losing the DH for the 1st 2 games of the World Series and 4 of the possible 7 games. The Sox can't just throw Eloy out in LF then. He will have to get some games under his belt to prepare.

18 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Is Burger ready for the big leagues?

Tony said pregame he is blocked at 3B, but an option for 2B if he "earns a promotion".

I don't get into trade speculation posts, but it's likely something major won't happen, if at all (JR would have to agree to spend more money), until the Sox can assess the progress of Eloy and Luis as they begin rehabbing. 

They play a bunch of tanking/crap ass teams coming up Pittsburgh, Seattle, Minnesota, Detroit, Minnesota and then close with Baltimore before the All Star Break.

Expect them to continue playing .500 ball against RHP and rake against LHP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heads22 said:

It feels like its been a long ass time since a Collins home run

Collins was over matched today and so was Mendick. I would have liked Leury in this game. He has been one of our better hitters lately.  I would have left Heuer pitch the 9th.  He was looking good with few pitches in the 8 th.

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Slow runners make their run expectancy go up. You should not be hitting and running with fast runners because there's better opportunities for them on the basepaths. 

It would have been ok to hit and run with Madrigal as he makes contact, but not with Mendick

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Fans are gonna freak when the Sox have a bottom 5 farm system....while having a top 5 MLB team

Theyre gonna freak when the Sox try to do a hybrid rebuild every cycle like the Devil Rays. Rays, whatever. I'd be happy however if they took one of the big salaries they don't want to pay for a given player, and invest it in some real scouting infrastructure and minors for internationals. That’s going to be the test if it works or not.

Edited by Chick Mercedes
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The interest in this game thread was lacking hours before the game started. Seems like fans have no faith in this series. Tomorrow is a new day and we can start there on our journey to a split. 

Saturdays might even be worse... I guess tonight there was the NBA/NHL playoffs excuse.  US Open, etc. 

This board has so many goofballs 🤦🏻‍♂

Bounce back, rebuild!

Honestly the only thing I wanted to see was Los vs their O….. he got wild and it cost him but come playoff time I cannot wait to see Los shit them dumbass cheating lowlifes down! 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Yep.  And our minor league pitching "studs" mostly being underperformers. 

Also, almost shockingly, Oakland now with second best record in baseball behind SFG. 

Blahhhhh who tf cares about the AL West record other than you?! Keep it in your outta style jeans my guys 

Edited by Nick_Schwam