The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

On 11/29/2021 at 1:46 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

I plan on supporting the Players, so can do that here and not cross the line. I may have posts critical of Jerry/Manfred et al for the first time in this forum.

Yeah...when a guy as talented as Leury can only get paid 5.5 million they obviously need a work stoppage.  

• Haha 2

I'm not going to pretend to know all of what is being bargained over.  I would think most of us don't know much more than the obvious.  As far as supporting one side or the other, I don't know...or care really.  Both sides will be at fault for a work stoppage.  It was obvious, to me at least, that neither side cared much what the fans thought when they squabbled over when to start the 2020 season.

I'm just hoping for a quick resolution to this and there being no effect on when the 2022 season will start.  I do hope a few things come out of this, including the universal DH, expanded playoffs, and a salary floor.

8 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yeah...when a guy as talented as Leury can only get paid 5.5 million they obviously need a work stoppage.  

And when an organization as skillful and well run as the White Sox can only clear $70 million a year in each of 2019 and 2018, clearly things are too player friendly. The ownership can’t be expected to even be motivated to come into work most days for that pittance. They barely put on pants for that money.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

And when an organization as skillful and well run as the White Sox can only clear $70 million a year in each of 2019 and 2018, clearly things are too player friendly. The ownership can’t be expected to even be motivated to come into work most days for that pittance. They barely put on pants for that money.

To be clear...both sides of this work stoppage are equally to blame IMO.  They have had years to work out their differences.  Just annoying!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I'm not going to pretend to know all of what is being bargained over.  I would think most of us don't know much more than the obvious.  As far as supporting one side or the other, I don't know...or care really.  Both sides will be at fault for a work stoppage.  It was obvious, to me at least, that neither side cared much what the fans thought when they squabbled over when to start the 2020 season.

I'm just hoping for a quick resolution to this and there being no effect on when the 2022 season will start.  I do hope a few things come out of this, including the universal DH, expanded playoffs, and a salary floor.

"When billionaires fight with millionaires it's the folks in debt that get screwed" 

Tex

8 minutes ago, poppysox said:

To be clear...both sides of this work stoppage are equally to blame IMO.  They have had years to work out their differences.  Just annoying!

If I refuse to negotiate fairly, and both sides get blamed by people who haven't paid attention...I have won this fight. I've dragged the public halfway my direction without giving an inch, while halfway breaking the sport in the process.

• Like 2

Just now, wegner said:

So a beer and a cuban comet sandwich go up to ?$?

And a network pays $$$$$$$ more for broadcast rights and charges more for advertising, and that beer at home costs a little more. 

Eventually no matter which side gets a bigger slice of the pie they will find a way for the fans to provide them a bigger pie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

And a network pays $$$$$$$ more for broadcast rights and charges more for advertising, and that beer at home costs a little more. 

Eventually no matter which side gets a bigger slice of the pie they will find a way for the fans to provide them a bigger pie.

it's a darn shame there is only one type of beer on Earth.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If I refuse to negotiate fairly, and both sides get blamed by people who haven't paid attention...I have won this fight. I've dragged the public halfway my direction without giving an inch, while halfway breaking the sport in the process.

And who is negotiating for the fans? If they get people to pick sides, they win. They only lose if people blame the entire sport. 

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

And who is negotiating for the fans? If they get people to pick sides, they win. They only lose if people blame the entire sport. 

Frankly, the players are. They're they ones looking at the Pirates having a payroll less than Max Scherzer and saying "This is a problem for us" and that also happens to be a problem for baseball. They're the ones looking at teams like Oakland, who could be solid and beat the White Sox in the 2020 playoffs selling off players for money and saying "This is not good for us" and that also happens to be bad for baseball. They're the ones looking at a guy like Bryant being kept in the minor leagues for service time reasons when he's good enough to be in the big leagues and saying "This is a problem for us" and that is a problem for baseball also.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

You seem to be under the impression that whatever the players win in these negotiations will be paid for from the owner's profits.  The owners will be happy that fans like yourself don't mind the new higher cost he will be passing on to the fans.  Both sides make ridiculous money and it is out of hand and not good for the sport IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, poppysox said:

You seem to be under the impression that whatever the players win in these negotiations will be paid for from the owner's profits.  The owners will be happy that fans like yourself don't mind the new higher cost he will be passing on to the fans.  Both sides make ridiculous money and it is out of hand and not good for the sport IMO.

That's not how economics works. If the Owners could make more money by raising prices right now (or in 2019 pre-COVID), do you think they would keep their prices lower than that level out of some generosity in their hearts?