freddy starting game one?

wdson01

QUOTE(wdson01 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 09:07 PM)
for everyone who didnt see coops pregame interview today he said if he to pick a game one starter right now itd probally be freddy by a slim margin.. who would you guys put out there in game one?

Depends on who we play and how hot they are in a month.

Its a bit early to be setting up the rotations for the playoffs. Lets get there first, then get home field advantage. Then we can let Ozzie figure it out.

I'd rather have him start game 3.

It'd be on the road.

If the Sox were to sweep El Duque "Big Game pitcher" would start game 1 of the ALCS.

If the Sox played a game 4 in the ALDS it would be on the road where El Duque tends to pitch better.

Buehrle

Garland

Garcia

El Duque

You trot Buerhle out there *period* You don't want to send a message that you're down on him as the post season starts. Also, you're guaranteed 6 innings and that can allow the bullpen to relax with any Game 1 jitters and the current 5th starter can work if Buerhle gets in trouble. Garland next...with his sinker, it would be good to have a ground ball pitcher in the launching pad known as the Cell. If we're playing the yanks, maybe Contreras. Freddy on the road is a great call and it will be the pivotal game 3 to go up 3-0, take control 2-1 or stop the bleeding if we're down 0-2. Then big game Duque or Garland (if you used Contreras already) to close it out, keep the mo, or tie it up. That way, if there is game seven, you can go with Garcia or big game Duque.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
You trot Buerhle out there *period*  You don't want to send a message that you're down on him as the post season starts.  Also, you're guaranteed 6 innings and that can allow the bullpen to relax with any Game 1 jitters and the current 5th starter can work if Buerhle gets in trouble.  Garland next...with his sinker, it would be good to have a ground ball pitcher in the launching pad known as the Cell.  If we're playing the yanks, maybe Contreras.  Freddy on the road is a great call and it will be the pivotal game 3 to go up 3-0, take control 2-1 or stop the bleeding if we're down 0-2.  Then big game Duque or Garland (if you used Contreras already) to close it out, keep the mo, or tie it up.  That way, if there is game seven, you can go with Garcia or big game Duque.

This is the absolute worst way to go about things. You don't just have Buehrle pitch game one because he's the "Ace" of the staff. You go by who's hot comming into the playoffs and more importantly you look at the matchup. Ozzie has already said it himself, if the Sox make the playoffs Buehrle is by no means a "lock" to start the first game, Ozzie will take the sensible approach. Buehrle, as well as the rest of the club IMO would not be affected by Ozzie "showing that he's down on Buehrle" by starting someone else in game one.

QUOTE(wdson01 @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
for everyone who didnt see coops pregame interview today he said if he to pick a game one starter right now itd probally be freddy by a slim margin.. who would you guys put out there in game one?

Mark Buehrle. No question. He's our ace, he started the All-Star game, and he needs to start game one... if it goes 4 or 5, it would be nice to use him twice.

After that, i say either Garland or Garcia are fine with me for number 2.

Chances are, we will be at home for the first round (if we make the playoffs), and Garcia has been wretched at the Cell. Save him for the road.

1 Buehrle

2 Garland

3 Garcia

EDIT: no guarantee we make the playoffs

Edited by Steve9347

I think there is plenty of question as to who'll pitch game 1. I wouldn't give it Mark just because he's Mark.

You organize your rotation to where you think it gives you the best chance of winning the series. Screw rewarding guys. Screw making guys feel good. Win the damn series. That should be the ONLY factor in deciding who gets the nod.

QUOTE(GoSoxGo @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 05:06 AM)
I don't know about the order but you would definately start both Buehrle and Garland at home and Garcia and El Duque on the road.

I would think so. But, when they start brainstorming on this, they may come up with something entirely different.

I would think so.  But, when they start brainstorming on this, they may come up with something entirely different.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone could come up with anything different. It's pretty much common sense. Both Buehrle and Garland are groundball pitchers, therefore you start them at our bandbox known as the Cell. Freddy and El Duque are flyball pitchers so you start them on the road at ballparks that will most likely be worse hitter's parks than the Cell. Everyone knows how good Freddy is on the road and how mediocre he is at the Cell. Just look at these guys' splits and it's obvious what Ozzie should do.

Edited by GoSoxGo

QUOTE(GoSoxGo @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 05:39 AM)
Yeah, I don't see how anyone could come up with anything different.  It's pretty much common sense.  Both Buehrle and Garland are groundball pitchers, therefore you start them at our bandbox known as the Cell.  Freddy and El Duque are flyball pitchers so you start them on the road at ballparks that will most likely be worse hitter's parks than the Cell.  Everyone knows how good Freddy is on the road and how mediocre he is at the Cell.  Just look at these guys' splits and it's obvious what Ozzie should do.

It might be different because we do not have all the information they have at their disposal, nor do we have the expertise. I personally think Ozzie is smarter than every poster on here. Why? Because he 20 years experience around ml/ML ballparks. You are bound to pick up something by being around that long. Then, sitting and talking with guys like Jack KcKeon, who's been doing for 50 years or so.

Contrary to popular belief, we do not have all the answers. Ozzie could, in a baseball conversation, probably make you or me look like idiot inside of 5 minutes if he so desired.

It might be different because we do not have all the information they have at their disposal, nor do we have the expertise.   I personally think Ozzie is smarter than every poster on here.  Why?  Because he 20 years experience around ml/ML ballparks.  You are bound to pick up something by being around that long.  Then, sitting and talking with guys like Jack KcKeon, who's been doing for 50 years or so. 

Contrary to popular belief, we do not have all the answers.  Ozzie could, in a baseball conversation, probably make you or me look like idiot inside of 5 minutes if he so desired.

Most likely, but it doesn't take a genious to know that a guy like Freddy Garcia pitches much better on the road than at the Cell. You can tell that just by watching his starts this season.

Edited by GoSoxGo

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
I'd rather have him start game 3.

It'd be on the road.

If the Sox were to sweep El Duque "Big Game pitcher" would start game 1 of the ALCS.

If the Sox played a game 4 in the ALDS it would be on the road where El Duque tends to pitch better.

Buehrle

Garland

Garcia

El Duque

That is probably how I'd go about things with the pitching. Especially Garcia starting away becaue he does better away. Or we can go with the hottest hand.

I dont understand how this is a debate, even about who is the best pitcher etc. Its a simple numbers game.

MB-2.99 1.16

JG- 3.28 1.16

FG- 3.54 1.23

Thats the order of the first three starters, and it should not be altered. Those are your three best pitchers in order. AS far as the 4th game, that is the only debate. I would go for the count because his stats are better, but El Duque may step it up in the playoffs, but for now, the top three are set.