Can the Sox benefit from the AL win?

drowninginflame

I don't know if this idea has been brought up, but Ozzie managing the All Star game could turn out to be a really good thing.

Alot of the guys in the clubhouse got a first hand look of what it's like to play for the Sox considering Guillen and the whole staff were in Pittsburg.

You sometimes hear players of really wanting to go play for a certain coach because they like their style.

Even Jeter said Ozzie was the polar opposite of Torre.

Hopefully, this makes a few free agents in the future consider us moreso than our hopeful dynasty in the making.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 04:01 AM)
Fair point, but it's usually all about the benjamins.

In fact it's almost always about the benjamins, though Paulie did give

up an extra million to stay in Chicago.

wasnt it an extra 5 mil?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 04:01 AM)

And Dye.

And before he was with the team or we were a top franchise.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
over 5 years. So you're both right. :)

And yet, all 3 of you are wrong, as both California and Maryland have higher upper class tax rates than Illinois, to the point that Paulie's take home pay after Taxes will wind up being higher from him having taken the $60 million from the Sox than it would have been had he taken either the $65 from the O's or the $60 from the Halos.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
And yet, all 3 of you are wrong, as both California and Maryland have higher upper class tax rates than Illinois, to the point that Paulie's take home pay after Taxes will wind up being higher from him having taken the $60 million from the Sox than it would have been had he taken either the $65 from the O's or the $60 from the Halos.

well then wouldnt that matter where he resides then? If he kept his residence in Chicago would he have to pay out of state taxes

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
well then wouldnt that matter where he resides then? If he kept his residence in Chicago would he have to pay out of state taxes

You pay state taxes in the state you are paid from.

California maxes at 9.3%, Maryland at 4.75%, and Illinois at 3%.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)

Its all about the benjamins alright...but...they also want to play for a winner....so maybe a first hand glimpse of Ozzie in action, will allow some players to give the Sox more of a shot at signing them...plus he guided us to a WS Championship.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
You pay state taxes in the state you are paid from.

California maxes at 9.3%, Maryland at 4.75%, and Illinois at 3%.

Actually that is not true. You pay in the state where the income was earned so on road games you could be charged by that state. Shaq paid something like $1mm to another state. States have wisened up to this and charge visiting teams players.

QUOTE(drowninginflame @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
I don't know if this idea has been brought up, but Ozzie managing the All Star game could turn out to be a really good thing.

Well what exactly would have been bad about Ozzie managing the team.....It's pretty common knowledge that players like him it is the snob media who tend to take things too seriuosly...

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
Actually that is not true. You pay in the state where the income was earned so on road games you could be charged by that state. Shaq paid something like $1mm to another state. States have wisened up to this and charge visiting teams players.

You could be. But it's not happening in MLB yet. They (players) do agree to have a prorated amount taken from them for such situations, but presently this is not happening.

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)

Really? I've never heard that. Freakin' pols!

QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
Really? I've never heard that. Freakin' pols!

You and I both deal with that everyday working in IL and living in IN we have to file both returns. Its the same idea except spread out over every city(and state) in MLB. When you play a game in a city, you are considered to be "working" in that state during that time, and they want their cut, just like everyone else.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
You and I both deal with that everyday working in IL and living in IN we have to file both returns. Its the same idea except spread out over every city(and state) in MLB. When you play a game in a city, you are considered to be "working" in that state during that time, and they want their cut, just like everyone else.

But, if my company sends me to NY for training or whatever, I don't have to pay NY taxes. That would be the same. Working for an Illinois company and living in Indiana is not the same.

Edited by mreye

QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
But, if my company sends me to NY for training or whatever, I don't have to pay NY taxes. That would be the same. Working for an Illinois company and living in Indiana is not the same.

Exactly. I've been to agents outside of Illinois to set up their accounting systems and not paid other states taxes even though the company outside of Illinois has paid my salary for the time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)

And the misinformation grows and grows. The players have to pay taxes in each state that they play games in based on a per game rate. So if Paulie played 84 games in Illinois, 12 games in CA, 22 games in Ohio, and so on, he would have to pay taxes on $74,074 per game under each state's taxable income laws. Just because a player resides in a certain state doesn't mean that state gets to collect all his taxes. they can only collect taxes on the games he has played in that state.

And there are reasons why they do that. If you were the Royals, would you want to collect taxes on just the Royals (forget the Cardinals for a minute)? How much better would you feel if you got to collect taxes from the Yankees salary 3-4 times a year and the White Sox another 9-10 times a year.

Each state gets their cut on the bigger pies too that way.

QUOTE(innersanctum @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
And the misinformation grows and grows. The players have to pay taxes in each state that they play games in based on a per game rate. So if Paulie played 84 games in Illinois, 12 games in CA, 22 games in Ohio, and so on, he would have to pay taxes on $74,074 per game under each state's taxable income laws. Just because a player resides in a certain state doesn't mean that state gets to collect all his taxes. they can only collect taxes on the games he has played in that state.

And there are reasons why they do that. If you were the Royals, would you want to collect taxes on just the Royals (forget the Cardinals for a minute)? How much better would you feel if you got to collect taxes from the Yankees salary 3-4 times a year and the White Sox another 9-10 times a year.

Each state gets their cut on the bigger pies too that way.

Yay!!! The condescending explanation has arrived..

So this has started? I know they have been paying into a "pool" per se since 1999. But didn't know it was ever put into action.