Interesting Trib Article

DBAHO

Would put it in the Off-Season Thread, but I think it deserves a Thread of its own cos it's very interesting;

OAKLAND -- While the White Sox devote their attention to earning a playoff berth, general manager Ken Williams keeps an eye on the future as well.

Williams dispatched several of his professional scouts to watch prospects from minor-league teams for an extended period this summer.

With Brandon McCarthy targeted to join the starting rotation and the contracts of Freddy Garcia and Javier Vazquez expiring after 2007, the Sox will be looking to add a young starting pitcher.

They also will be looking for speed at the top and bottom of the order to offset a slow-footed middle of the order.

But accommodating this will require some financial gymnastics.

The Sox have more than $99 million committed to 12 players for 2007 if they pick up the options on pitcher Mark Buehrle, right fielder Jermaine Dye and second baseman Tadahito Iguchi.

That nearly equals the Sox's entire payroll for 2006.

It's also a reason Williams has insisted the Sox will continue to introduce young players from their system to the major-league roster.

But the Sox won't have the same luxury in 2007 as they did this year, when they have placed rookie center fielder Brian Anderson at the bottom of the order for most of the season.

With manager Ozzie Guillen already having placed a priority on speed for 2007, the following areas likely will be affected:

Leadoff batter

Left fielder Scott Podsednik is arbitration eligible, and the Sox would like to get some compensation in the likely event Podsednik doesn't return.

Last winter, the plan would have been for Jerry Owens to take over the leadoff spot and play left, but Owens batted only .262 for Triple-A Charlotte and might need more seasoning, unless he makes significant improvement in the Arizona Fall League.

The Cubs' Juan Pierre ($5.75 million) is a free agent, but Anderson's strong arm makes him a better fit in center field. A cheaper free-agent option could be San Diego's Dave Roberts ($2.25 million), who could handle the leadoff duties for one season until Owens is ready. Texas' Gary Matthews Jr. is experiencing a breakout year and could command a high price despite not having a long run of success.

Boston's Coco Crisp is a notorious Sox killer who is completing the first year of a three-year, $15.5 million contract. But Anderson is better suited to play center.

Williams always has aimed high and the Sox could try for Texas' Michael Young, especially after owner Tom Hicks put the majority of the blame on the players for their decline.

Young is a favorite of Guillen, though he doesn't possess blazing speed, and his $3.5 million salary for 2007 is a big bargain. It's probably too good for Texas to move.

The Los Angeles Angels' Chone Figgins also has haunted the Sox, but several scouts have questioned his .325 on-base percentage, outfield skills and endurance to produce on a consistent basis.

Starting pitching

Trading Freddy Garcia ($10 million) and/or Javier Vazquez ($12.5 million) would provide financial relief. Each would be very attractive to a team seeking a starter to bolster their 2007 playoff hopes.

With Florida possessing a surplus of pitching, the Sox could aim for Florida left-hander Dontrelle Willis ($4.35 million in 2006) or attempt to land one of the Marlins' youngsters.

The Sox have scouted the Los Angeles Dodgers' farm system thoroughly but weren't able to make a deal before the All-Star break. They also have taken a long look at Texas prospects Edinson Volquez, John Danks, Thomas Diamond and Nick Masset, as well as Tampa Bay's Jamie Shields.

Left-hander Matt Thornton has expressed a willingness to start if asked, but Neal Cotts might be a better option if Boone Logan matures.

Shortstop

The Sox need a more disciplined hitter than Juan Uribe, with similar defensive skills, at the bottom of the order.

Guillen isn't willing to declare reserve Alex Cintron an everyday shortstop. Acquiring Young would address the leadoff and shortstop issues, but it might cost a fortune in talent. Trading Uribe to Texas would unite him with Rudy Jaramillo, arguably the best hitting coach in baseball. Uribe will earn $4.15 million in 2007.

The Sox could settle for free agent Julio Lugo, who has been relegated to a reserve role with the Dodgers.

Reserves

The Sox might have to tweak one of the strongest benches in baseball. Rob Mackowiak will earn $2.75 million next season and Cintron ($1.6 million in 2006) and Pablo Ozuna ($550,000) are arbitration eligible, as is middle reliever David Riske ($1.8 million).

Third baseman Josh Fields and outfielder Ryan Sweeney might be too good to return to Charlotte, but they might need to play more there so their growth isn't stunted. Fields provides a right-handed power bat off the bench the Sox lacked this season, and he is athletic enough to play the outfield.

If you thought last winter was busy, stay tuned.

Doesn't Michael Young for Garcia and Uribe sound good now? :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 06:42 AM)
Would put it in the Off-Season Thread, but I think it deserves a Thread of its own cos it's very interesting;

Doesn't Michael Young for Garcia and Uribe sound good now? :D

Ha, that ain't happening but yes, I'd say that sounds pretty good.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 09:46 PM)

Jon Daniels would want some good young SP I would imagine, even though they have a couple of good ones already. Pitching's always been a major problem down at Texas.

They'd love a guy like McCullough since he went to Texas, but he'd have to be a PTBNL wouldn't he since he's not on the 40 man? Or someone like Broadway maybe.

I'd say there's something to work with there possibly, if Kenny decided to go down that route.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 06:49 AM)
Jon Daniels would want some good young SP I would imagine, even though they have a couple of good ones already. Pitching's always been a major problem down at Texas.

They'd love a guy like McCullough since he went to Texas, but he'd have to be a PTBNL wouldn't he since he's not on the 40 man? Or someone like Broadway maybe.

I'd say there's something to work with there possibly, if Kenny decided to go down that route.

Kyle can't be traded 'till June but yes the loophole would be to make him a ptbnl.

Funny, i mentioned Young, and a few posters here scoffed at that idea, even though on the rangers own website they've been hyping up Joaquin Arias, and as we all know pitching has always been there problem, i highly doubt Garcia + Uribe would be enough, but maybe someone like Broadway/Phillips who should be ready by mid '07 would, i think giving up Broadway would be way too much on our end, Phillips not so much. Pitching > all.

The rangers have alot of players leaving via FA this offseason, Lee, Matthews, Padilla, i think Eaton and Wells and a few others if im not mistaken. There is a weak FA class this offseason, thats why i believe someone like Jose could bring us alot back.

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 07:13 AM)
Funny, i mentioned Young, and a few posters here scoffed at that idea, even though on the rangers own website they've been hyping up Joaquin Arias, and as we all know pitching has always been there problem, i highly doubt Garcia + Uribe would be enough, but maybe someone like Broadway/Phillips who should be ready by mid '07 would, i think giving up Broadway would be way too much on our end, Phillips not so much. Pitching > all.

The rangers have alot of players leaving via FA this offseason, Lee, Matthews, Padilla, i think Eaton and Wells and a few others if im not mistaken. There is a weak FA class this offseason, thats why i believe someone like Jose could bring us alot back.

Who scoffed at that idea? Young is one of the best hitters in the league, and his defense is better than average, it would be a major upgrade if Young were to come to the Sox

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 06:01 AM)
The Rangers arent going to trade Michael Young thats ridiculous... yes they are high on Arias but they would sooner trade Blalock and put him at 3B than trade Young who is kind of their captain.

I suppose that isn't scoffing, but he felt it would be "ridiculous" for the rangers to deal Young.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 9, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
Unless you're playing MVP Baseball 2005, your trade makes literally no sense, and shouldn't be considering quasi realistic. The Rangers won't trade Young, a 29 year old shortstop who is making hardly anything, along with prospects for a 40+ year old pitcher who isn't as good as Sox fans think - and is on contract for another 3 years, making about $30 million - and a poor offensive shortstop (albiet the best defensive SS in the league) making MORE money per year than Young.

That being said, it's better than the "john fields and another prospect for crawford" (or even better "javy and pods for crawford"), however that isn't saying much.

EDIT: No wait, thats scoffing ;)

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 07:13 AM)

That was also conviently before Tom Hicks blamed their s***ty season on Michael Young. When the owner blasts you, it kinda affects you standing for the next season. Imagine that, things changed.

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 07:44 AM)
I suppose that isn't scoffing, but he felt it would be "ridiculous" for the rangers to deal Young.

EDIT: No wait, thats scoffing ;)

And I still stand by every word I said there. I think its pretty ridiculous to expect the Rangers to trade Young for a worse, yet more expensive shortstop and a 40+ year old pitcher who is signed for 3 more years and 30 million. If they were to trade Young, they ought to be looking for a quality young starter in return, otherwise they wouldn't be getting back the most that they could.

If I'm wrong, hell, I'd be more than happy to see Young in Chicago, but I just don't see it happening.

And wow, I just realized I said 'John Fields' in that post :huh

Edited by Felix

Or we can sign Felix Diaz and win another world series next year.

heres my sarting rotation for next year.

Diaz

Munoz

Glendon Rusch

Mccarthy

Cotts

Our new starting SS will be an fave. Jose Valentine. and our new lead off hitter - Roberto Alomar.

Young is not that good defensively at SS and is better suited for second.

Road splits:

2006: .285/.329/.415 .743 OPS

2005: .330/.384/.500 .884 OPS

2004: .280/.320/.460 .779 OPS

2003: .262/.291/.367 .658 OPS

2002: .245/.287/.359 .646 OPS

2001: .227/.263/.345 .609 OPS

I'll pass.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)

Road splits:

I'll pass.

Eh, with a hitter like Michael Young I think those stats are more coincidental then not. Not to mention the same argument seemed to be made against Soriano when Nats traded for the guy.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eh, with a hitter like Michael Young I think those stats are more coincidental then not. Not to mention the same argument seemed to be made against Soriano when Nats traded for the guy.

How can they be conicidental? I used almost a six year span.

Soriano was also in a contract year and is in the NL.

...and in case anyone is wondering about Blalock because he had this discussion in the offseason, he sitll can't hit LHP, away, or in the second half.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)

...and in case anyone is wondering about Blalock because he had this discussion in the offseason, he sitll can't hit LHP, away, or in the second half.

Ya, I can see that it's over a six year span. I just don't think a hitter like Young who isn't exactly a huge power guy benefitting that much from Ameriquest. I bet he'd hit anywhere, with any team.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)

I'll swear up and down the 2nd half thing is a product of playing outdoors in that oppressive heat and humidity in Dallas Texas during July, August, and September. It just wears you down.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)

Road splits:

I'll pass.

Thanks for showing his natural progression in the major leagues from being a back up type player to a great hitter. I love seeing stats that solidify that the player has pretty consistent improvement.

You have to remember, it's not like Young would be moving from a hitters park to a pitchers park if he was traded to us.

Looks like he's suffered from what Texiera has this season as well, hitting less HR's but more doubles. His GPA has decreased from .288 to .254 this season, so maybe Texas could actually be open to dealing him. He's been hitting .381 with RISP as well FWIW.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for showing his natural progression in the major leagues from being a back up type player to a great hitter. I love seeing stats that solidify that the player has pretty consistent improvement.

...and the 140 point dip in OPS this year?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have to remember, it's not like Young would be moving from a hitters park to a pitchers park if he was traded to us.

Looks like he's suffered from what Texiera has this season as well, hitting less HR's but more doubles. His GPA has decreased from .288 to .254 this season, so maybe Texas could actually be open to dealing him. He's been hitting .381 with RISP as well FWIW.

I knew someone was going to bring this up, but I left it out just because I wanted some one to actually write it.

Is the Ballpark in Arlington like USCF?

More importantly, let's say he does hit at USCF like his does as Arlington. Why would we want a guy to have a .320ish OBP and low .400 SLG for the other 81 games of the season? This would be an improvement over the guy we currently have, but Texas could be asking for a lot in return because his overall numbers look good, but the stats show it's due to Arlington.

Texas Individual road stats

Texas Individual Home stats

With the exception of Teixeira, ALL of the regular Rangers have a noticable drop in production between home and road.

That's not a coincidence.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)

No, it doesn't and I would say it isn't a realistic trade possibility or should even be considered. Trades will be made no doubt, but you shouldn't be giving away a starter at SS and a premium starting pitcher for one player.