Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
they really gave up on rap this year, which is odd.

Yeah it's disappointing. Snoop was great last year, and I didn't see Cudi due to being the same time as Kings of Leon - but imagine he was alright as well.

They should have gotten Lupe Fiasco again - think he has a new album coming out and he's a big enough name. Jay-Z was likely as a headliner if they wanted him, as he's playing a lot of festivals this year, but I think they poured all their money into Gaga (she probably got a mint to play Lolla instead of say two nights at the United Center).

Drake would have been an interesting get, as his album is about to come out as well, but not sure he was or is available.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 11:57 PM)
I would like to see Social D, but not much more than that. Maybe Soundgarden and Green Day, but they're not a big deal for me.

Social D is the kinda band you wanna see in a dark club, not outside in the sun.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
St. Louis is getting in on the mini-music festival thing this year with Lou Fest in Forest Park. $38/day or $64 for both days.

Lineup includes Titus Andronicus, Built to Spill, Jeff Tweedy, She & Him. Not too bad for the price.

Personally, I think that is a lot for the lineup. For reference, the first intonation/pitchfork 5 years ago with a much deeper lineup and similar headliners was 20 for 2 days 12 for 1. There are free festivals that have lineups close to that. If they want to have it be a big deal to draw people from out of town, they need it to be either much cheaper or get a much better lineup.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
Personally, I think that is a lot for the lineup. For reference, the first intonation/pitchfork 5 years ago with a much deeper lineup and similar headliners was 20 for 2 days 12 for 1. There are free festivals that have lineups close to that. If they want to have it be a big deal to draw people from out of town, they need it to be either much cheaper or get a much better lineup.

Not sure what their goals is, but I think $38 for 9 bands is pretty reasonable compared to other summer concert ticket prices.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
yes, but there's obviously a lot more space and s***tier views at a festival, so prices should be lower.

Oh yeah, but there's plenty of s***ty views from the lawn at that dump they used to call Riverport.

I'm not saying you should come from out of town for it or that its a can't miss event. I am just happy to see they are doing something like this closer to where I live right now, and the prices are reasonable. Gotta start somewhere.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 04:05 AM)
I would like to see Titus Andronicus, I was hoping they'd be at Lolla.

are you in chicago? They played a show here last week for 10 bucks.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)
Anybody know much about the Drive-by Truckers???? Going to see them at the Vic tonight. I've never heard of them, but the wife's a big fan.

I heard they are an aweseome band to see live. I don't know how to describe them. Alt-southern rock country. Something like that.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)
I heard they are an aweseome band to see live. I don't know how to describe them. Alt-southern rock country. Something like that.

Glad to hear they are a great live band. Southern rock is kinda the description I had heard before, should be a good show.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 08:12 AM)
Anybody know much about the Drive-by Truckers???? Going to see them at the Vic tonight. I've never heard of them, but the wife's a big fan.

I've seen them about 8 times live. It will be a good southern rock show, although I have not see them live since Isbell left.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
So I've been using Pandora at work, and the Bright Eyes station I set up keeps kicking out The Decemberists, and I'm quite enjoying the songs that have come up.

For any fans (I thought I'd seen this band mentioned before in this thread) Where should I start? Best Albums? Worst?

one of my favorite bands.

Picaresque is my favorite album. However all of their albums have the same sound/feel to them, besides Hazards of Love.

Saw them live last summer, love love love them.

Speaking of which, Blind Pilot opened for them and I just love their album 3 rounds and a sound. Very folksy, but really catchy.

Anyone heard of em?

So I'm taking a history of Rock class that covers 1970 to present (the first version of the class is roots to 1970, which I took as a freshman), and although the teacher himself is kind of wordy, the class has done a good job reminding me of some music I haven't listened to in awhile (early Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Smashing Pumpkins, RATM to name a few). Been listening to Siamese Dream lately.. I had forgotten how good it is.