Music Thread

greasywheels121

Siamese Dream is a great album to put on when I am in the car driving by myself, I love to crank up Cherub Rock.

RATM causes me to drive fast, sometimes I dont play it for that reason, lol. Great music to play as I am pulling into Melas field before I play softball though

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
Hip hop legend Guru died.

RIP Guru.

Although, that whole situation with Solar is weird. Like uncomfortable weird, I've got my theories but I don't wanna come off as I'm talking bad about Guru. Although Solar does seem like a scumbag.

Top Albums through a 1/3 of the year:

Against Me! - White Crosses

Yeasayer - Odd Blood

Dr. Dog - Shame, Shame

Motion City Soundtrack - Dinosaur Life

Spoon - Transference

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
Crystal Castles baptism is the s***tttx1000000000

Okay, I need to listen to this so I can really get a handle and judge your musical taste to mine. Cause that is an emphatic statement.

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
Top Albums through a 1/3 of the year:

Against Me! - White Crosses

Yeasayer - Odd Blood

Dr. Dog - Shame, Shame

Motion City Soundtrack - Dinosaur Life

Spoon - Transference

I'm wondering about Dr. Dog. There's been a lot of press lately, but I saw them at Lolla two years ago and they were awful....

QUOTE (MEANS @ May 7, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
got some free tickets too to see Pearl Jam and Band of Horses tonight

The show I saw Tuesday was really good. PJ played for over 2 hours and they were rockin', EV was having a lot of fun. Band of Horses was good, but I'd like to see them in a smaller venue.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 08:28 AM)
Listening to the new Alkaline Trio disc "This Addiction" right now.

I really like it. They're consistently so good.

They sold out three shows at Metro instantly.

I've tried and tried, but I just can not get into this album, and Alkaline is one of my favorite bands of all time. It just seems so bland and uninspired. Nothing grabs me.

They may went back to their straight up punk roots, but I was kinda digging the new stuff they were trying on Crimson and Agony & Irony, which is not to say I don't LOVE the earlier stuff they're trying to go back to (Good Mourning is my fav disc) but back then, honestly, they had better more creative lyrics -- the main reason I got into them in the first place -- and hooks.

I think one of my main issues with this disc is that there's too many Matt songs (what's it like 8-3? 9-2?). I like it better when there's an even split and sometimes I even liked Dan's songs better (not an opinion shared by many)

I like to use parenthesis....

QUOTE (Cali @ May 7, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
I've tried and tried, but I just can not get into this album, and Alkaline is one of my favorite bands of all time. It just seems so bland and uninspired. Nothing grabs me.

They may went back to their straight up punk roots, but I was kinda digging the new stuff they were trying on Crimson and Agony & Irony, which is not to say I don't LOVE the earlier stuff they're trying to go back to (Good Mourning is my fav disc) but back then, honestly, they had better more creative lyrics -- the main reason I got into them in the first place -- and hooks.

I think one of my main issues with this disc is that there's too many Matt songs (what's it like 8-3? 9-2?). I like it better when there's an even split and sometimes I even liked Dan's songs better (not an opinion shared by many)

I like to use parenthesis....

I see your point (about the Dan/Matt writing split), but I tend (like most) to like Matt's songs more anyway.

I disagree with your point (about being bland and uninspired), though I can see why you'd say that.

I think maybe I'm just a fanboy (and therefore would like almost anything they did)?

I do share your fondness for parentheses (I use the plural form of the word, although both are correct).

Have you heard the song "Good f***ing Bye" by Matt? Just a solo acoustic thing - I really like that song.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 21, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
Crystal Castles baptism is the s***tttx1000000000

^.

Loving most of the album on first listen. Baptism certainly takes the cake though.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 8, 2010 -> 05:19 AM)
I see your point (about the Dan/Matt writing split), but I tend (like most) to like Matt's songs more anyway.

I disagree with your point (about being bland and uninspired), though I can see why you'd say that.

I think maybe I'm just a fanboy (and therefore would like almost anything they did)?

I do share your fondness for parentheses (I use the plural form of the word, although both are correct).

Have you heard the song "Good f***ing Bye" by Matt? Just a solo acoustic thing - I really like that song.

That song was pretty great... Hopefully his solo album will be in that vein (even though that's from '02)

I'll keep giving it (theoretical) spins and see if anything clicks. It did take a while for me to like the stuff on A & I, so maybe this will take a while. The two songs that have stuck out from my listens are "Fine" and "Lead Poisoning" the latter mostly for the trumpet solo haha

Was looking at the wikipedia page for This Addiction in the "reviews" section and this line total sums up my feelings:

Michael French of Punknews.org shared this sentiment, saying that Skiba's lyrics "aren't necessarily bad, but they've been significantly dumbed down; Matt once turned cliché into clever and cunning commentary--now they just lack personality and the clichés are just, well...cliché."

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Cali @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
Godsmack has the #1 album in the country right now....

Just in case you needed something to be flabbergasted about.....

I love music more than cheese...and I love cheese. But music needs some type of creative revolution. I need it, give me something new and fresh and f***ing awesome.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ May 14, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
I love music more than cheese...and I love cheese. But music needs some type of creative revolution. I need it, give me something new and fresh and f***ing awesome.

It really has been a long time hasn't it?