If you were GM of an expansion franchise and could have

caulfield12

three players in all of MLB and the rest of your team would be AA/AAA players, who would you pick?

Felix Hernandez

Justin Verlander

Albert Pujols

Ryan Howard

Alex Rodriguez

Derek Jeter

Dice-K

Johan Santana

Carlos Zambrano

Jose Reyes

Scott Kazmir

Roy Halladay

Roy Oswalt

Big Papi

Justin Morneau

David Ortiz

Joe Mauer

Manny Ramirez

Travis Hafner

Vladimir Guerrero

Grady Sizemore

Ichiro

Miguel Tejada

Vernon Wells

Carlos Beltran

Miguel Cabrera

David Wright

Michael Young

Alphonso Soriano

I would take Felix Hernandez, Albert Pujols and then it would be between A-Rod, Jose Reyes and Joe Mauer, and I'm not sure which way I would choose to go. Then again, it might be wiser to pick three pitchers, so you could go Hernandez, Verlander and Santana and hope the offense would score enough runs to support the three aces of the pitching staff.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 09:17 AM)
Hernadez, Verlander, and Sizemore would be my three. You have superstar players, with low salaries who aren't going anywhere for a long time.

Yeah, I didn't specify payroll issues, but Sizemore would be a great pick as well.

Ozzie keeps calling him Superman, they will have their own shirts in CLE as well, like the Piranha ones in Minnesota.

Catcher, SS and CF, should be priorities, which is why I also mentioned Mauer, A-Rod and Reyes. Going on salary, you couldn't go wrong with either Reyes or Mauer either.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 09:18 AM)
I concur. Maybe M Cab too.

Cabrera is a lot like Pujols, but I didn't consider him because of his defensive liabilities. He's more of a DH than anything, but a young player, especially in the NL, of course you have to stick him out there somewhere.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 09:27 AM)
Easy for me:

#1 Jose Reyes.

#2 Miguel Cabrera

#3 Johan Santana

I think the most amazing stat about Fernandez is that he's only given up 5-6 fly ball outs in almost two full games. Just 4 hits in 17 IP, .074 average against.

OTOH, Brian Anderson took him deep twice in one game (might be BA's most notable accomplishment, hopefully not for his entire career though) and he was unmotivated and out of shape last year, but he's not messing around in 2007. He's definitely ahead of the Jon Garland "learning curve."

When you start hearing comparisons to Sandy Koufax....well, let's just hope he doesn't end up like Dwight Gooden. Too much success and hype too soon.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(Balance @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
Is there anyone on the Sox current 40-man roster who you'd include?

Should we be worried if there isn't?

Crede or Konerko would be the closest...but there were a lot of good 3B (no, not Aramis Ramirez) I left off the list. Dye and Thome would be considered too old. Same thing with Contreras.

There's not really one pitcher that stands out to me, Garland is solid but you don't build a franchise around him. Same with Buehrle.

I didn't even include Mariano Rivera, Nathan, Jenks, etc. Closers are overrated IMO.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 10:51 AM)
1 player? Pujols.

3 players? Pujols, Johan, and probably King Felix.

Any of the above picks could work out. I was thinking Johan, Felix, and a player to be named later. Pujols would be nice, A-Rod was another choice. I was also considering a catcher either Mauer or Martinez, maybe Varitek.

If I had to narrow to three, I guess I'd go Johan, Felix, and Mauer.

Taking it a step further, I'd next be looking to draft the AAA guys from up the middle, SS, CF, 2B.l Then look for a closer, IF corners, relievers, more starting pitchers, OF corners, relievers . . .

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 05:12 PM)
Any of the above picks could work out. I was thinking Johan, Felix, and a player to be named later. Pujols would be nice, A-Rod was another choice. I was also considering a catcher either Mauer or Martinez, maybe Varitek.

Taking it a step further, I'd next be looking to draft the AAA guys from up the middle, SS, CF, 2B.l Then look for a closer, IF corners, relievers, more starting pitchers, OF corners, relievers . . .

He's beyond bad now. His bat speed has decreased dramatically.

For me, I'd go with Felix Hernandez, Sizemore, and Miguel Cabrera. I'm confident in saying all three will be Half of Famers if they stay healthy, with Cabrera putting up some of the best offensive numbers in history.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)

Victor "I Only Threw Out One Runner in 2006 and now Scotty Pods" Martinez?

Not a possibility, because he's average to below average for 1B offensively...Mauer is the only choice at catcher, it's not even close.

Cabrera is 24 and has a little bit more than 100 homers right now.

If he averaged 600 AB's per season the next 10 years, he would end up having 300 homers and 1,170 RBI's.

I just don't see him hitting much more than 500 homers, IF IF IF he stays healthy.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
He's beyond bad now. His bat speed has decreased dramatically.

For me, I'd go with Felix Hernandez, Sizemore, and Miguel Cabrera. I'm confident in saying all three will be Half of Famers if they stay healthy, with Cabrera putting up some of the best offensive numbers in history.

You could have a very good competition between Varitek and Sosa to determine who's lost the most bat speed from 3 seasons ago.

Edited by caulfield12

Cabrera's not going to be playing 81 home games though at such a pitcher's park for much longer. He's a fantastic hitter.....I'd love for Ozzie to use his friendship with him to get him in a Sox uniform. He'd make our ballpark seem even smaller than it is.

With Four-A fodder rounding out the other 22 on the roster, you would without question need one ace starting pitcher. Along with the ace of my staff, I choose a Centerfielder and a Short Stop. So my team looks like this:

Grady Sizemore, Jose Reyes, Felix Hernandez.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
Anyone value veteran leadership on the field every day?

Sure, but wouldn't guys like Chris Widger, Eduardo Perez, etc. who could be had for the minimum easily be enough veteran leadership?

Its amazing how Hernandez's perception has changed over a couple of starts. He was an above-average pitcher last year. I don't doubt that he will have a good year, but I am going to wait a little longer before calling him an ace.

My picks:

Santana

Cabrera

Sizemore

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
It's amazing how hyped up Jason Varitek has become thanks to ESPN.

Alot of his hype can be attributed to ESPN, but everyone around baseball for the last few years has called him the best clubhouse presence in the game, someone who can change a decent pitcher into a good one with his game calling, etc.

Not to mention, the Red Sox labeling him as their "captain." I wouldn't pick him, but Texsox has a point.

QUOTE(Top Notch @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
With Four-A fodder rounding out the other 22 on the roster, you would without question need one ace starting pitcher. Along with the ace of my staff, I choose a Centerfielder and a Short Stop. So my team looks like this:

Grady Sizemore, Jose Reyes, Felix Hernandez.

Sure, but wouldn't guys like Chris Widger, Eduardo Perez, etc. who could be had for the minimum easily be enough veteran leadership?

I thought the rest had to be minor leaguers. I also think there is a difference between club house and on the field. I also think an edge should be to someone who has actually won something. So maybe there is room for a Dye sort of player in thetop three. But passing over an A-Rod/Pujols for Dye would be challenging.