Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
It's not a broad brush, it is literally every U of I fan I know. Missouri has a bunch of Cardinals fans so I'm not trying to throw stones, but I've never seen another fanbase so focused on the payoff aspect of things.

Literally? We've just found you two who don't claim that stuff.

All hail Mizzou fans, though.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Literally? We've just found you two who don't claim that stuff.

All hail Mizzou fans, though.

I'd like to think I don't do that either, but I'll concede that many do. As someone pointed out, I think a lot of it has to do with what we grew up hearing about in the bad 'ol days of the Public League.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 07:22 AM)
Jerry Meyer tweets Thomas is strong to OSU with SMU a possibility. It "doesn't look good" for Illinois.

I saw that. i wonder what his "Intel" is even with ET saying that Illinois is his leader not 3 days ago.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
Gilder to TAMU, I think that sets us up better for Elijah.

That's huge. A&M already has 2 front court players for that class too.

And Elijah's mom tweeted Nooooo 5 minutes before the announcement too.....

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
Kyle Austin ‏@kylebaustin 2h2 hours ago

Izzo quote of the day candidate, about John Calipari: "If he was Pinocchio we could have hung 10,000 shirts on that shnobber of his."

Ha, Izzo has been annoying me the last few years but that was great.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Thomas Bryant at IU this weekend where Crean is trying to build a seemingly 18 man roster for next season..

I think he goes to Cuse at this point. Sucks because this was a guy missouri REALLY needed to build the team.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 06:46 AM)
Thomas Bryant at IU this weekend where Crean is trying to build a seemingly 18 man roster for next season..

I no longer live in Indiana, so I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about IU recruiting as I was previously (the curse of being surrounded by Hoosiers?). But is there a method to what Crean is doing with his recruiting?

As an outsider, it seems like he has, understandably, taken a couple flyers on big guys this year, precipitated by the Fischer transfer to try to cobble together a big man rotation. But, forgive me if I'm wrong here, I don't really see any early entrants on that roster (at least not this year) unless Troy Williams finds a jump shot, or Yogi Ferrell or Blackmon sets the world on fire this year.

Not meant as a troll post, I'm genuinely curious what the thought process is here...

You're guess is as good as mine. There's probably more talent on this roster than anyone in the B1G, but the management of it is terrible. I think Crean is literally trying to reinvent the game and play all wings 6'6"-6'9"... Losing Fischer and then losing out on Okonoboh is likely going to end up costing him his job (throw in Vonleh going pro) because there's just nothing down low. Yogi/Blackmon/Robinson/Johnson is just a filthy backcourt, but there's just not much help down low...

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 07:19 AM)
Diamond Stone cut Duke and his final list is now UConn, Oklahoma State, Maryland and Wisconsin. Strange final four.

Yea I'm shocked by Duke getting cut, figured one of Duke/UK would be in it til the end with him. Wisky makes sense because their local and hot right now, UCONN also because their hot, but the others? Just odd.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
I no longer live in Indiana, so I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about IU recruiting as I was previously (the curse of being surrounded by Hoosiers?). But is there a method to what Crean is doing with his recruiting?

As an outsider, it seems like he has, understandably, taken a couple flyers on big guys this year, precipitated by the Fischer transfer to try to cobble together a big man rotation. But, forgive me if I'm wrong here, I don't really see any early entrants on that roster (at least not this year) unless Troy Williams finds a jump shot, or Yogi Ferrell or Blackmon sets the world on fire this year.

Not meant as a troll post, I'm genuinely curious what the thought process is here...

I understand oversigning by a guy, maybe even two depending on the roster, but this is getting ridiculous. Like you said, there's no early entrants on this year's roster. In order of most likely I'd put it at Williams-Blackmon-Ferrell, but even Williams I'd put at no more than 5-10%. That's a lot of transfers to expect. And if you expect that many guys to want to leave the program, there's a problem.

Thomas announcement is tomorrow. Still no idea where he's headed, and it's possible (though I don't think likely no matter what he says) that he doesn't know.

I just can't see LSU winning, but I can see any of the other 4.

So, I'll say 25% chance to Illinois.

My gut says the distance thing is too much to overcome.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
Thomas announcement is tomorrow. Still no idea where he's headed, and it's possible (though I don't think likely no matter what he says) that he doesn't know.

I just can't see LSU winning, but I can see any of the other 4.

So, I'll say 25% chance to Illinois.

My gut says the distance thing is too much to overcome.

Doesn't LSU have that Simmons kid next year? Could make them attractive.

When is Bragg announcing?

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
Doesn't LSU have that Simmons kid next year? Could make them attractive.

When is Bragg announcing?

Sounds like it's down to OSU and Texas A&M. Bragg will be announcing in the spring.

Edited by gatnom