Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
Tracy Abrams (class of 2011) to Illinois. That kid is big time and he is good friends with Shaw, Blackshear and Thompson. Recruiting is so fun to follow right now, Illinois is going to be absolutely loaded.

You'll have some good competition in the Big Ten

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
Tracy Abrams (class of 2011) to Illinois. That kid is big time and he is good friends with Shaw, Blackshear and Thompson. Recruiting is so fun to follow right now, Illinois is going to be absolutely loaded.

The best part about Abrams is that everyone loves to play with him. Like you said, this will help immensely with Shaw, Blackshear and Thompson. Also, it will likely put the pressure on Chasson Randle or Bradley Beal to commit because I imagine Illinois will only hold two spots open for guards. Then two for the wings (Thompson and Blackshear) and one big (Shaw). Great day to be an Illini fan. This class could be #1, and it just started off amazingly. Gotta love Jerrence Howard and Bruce Weber for choosing him as an assistant.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
That's a huge get...

Well the good thing for Depaul is that even if Illinois gets who they want there will still be some good players left in Illinois. That class is loaded in Illinois.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
Even with your "super class", KU for instance is still ranked higher with just 2 commitments at the moment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/c...mp;viewmore=yes

We still have a strong chance at Withey, Wall and Stephenson.

ESPN's rankings also are terrible and laughably don't have Brandon Paul in their top 100. And our super class is 2010 where we have 2 top 25 players and another guy who is top 30 on scout and top 70 on Rivals.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
ESPN's rankings also are terrible and laughably don't have Brandon Paul in their top 100. And our super class is 2010 where we have 2 top 25 players and another guy who is top 30 on scout and top 70 on Rivals.

I wouldn't get too high on Bertrand. I haven't heard good things about him so far this season.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
I wouldn't get too high on Bertrand. I haven't heard good things about him so far this season.

From who? He has played well but he is never going to be a big time scorer. He would be a double digit assist man if his teammates finished. He handles the ball extremely well, has great court vision, and has good size and athleticism. I would like to see him attack the basket more than he does and he needs to assert himself more but there is no question about his talent. He is a 6'6 PG who will be coming in with a bunch of big time athletes and scorers. He won't need to be a star.

Bertrand isn't too bad. I know some people that actually live in Sterling and have seen him play since he was a freshman in high school. The level of competition isn't great out there, but he's a solid player. He's never going to be a superstar in my opinion, but a team needs solid role players who can do things and come off the bench, and I think Bertrand will fit that role to a T at Illinois. It's nice that enough good players are coming into the program that it's ok for a guy like him to be coming aboard as well.

As for the other stuff I saw in here, Wall is going to end up at Baylor, the ESPN rankings are indeed a joke, and the Abrams news is fantastic. It's hard to keep up with the pace of the 2009 and 2010 classes, but Illinois should be able to do it since Abrams is a fantastic player and has friends in high places who are also 2011 recruits. The Big Ten, at least in basketball, is going to see a revival in the near future. It's already underway right now in my opinion and will only get better.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 19, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
Do someting with the talent, then declare him amazing.

This trick just got treated.

DANG

ps I do kind of agree, let's see what he does with his recruits. I'm interested nonetheless.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
Even with your "super class", KU for instance is still ranked higher with just 2 commitments at the moment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/c...mp;viewmore=yes

We still have a strong chance at Withey, Wall and Stephenson.

Dont bring in ESPN rankings and expect to be taken seriously. They are beyond horrible in every sport.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
Their rankings for football are pretty hilarious at times.

Ranking high school football players is a pretty bad science. After the top 25 guys in the country, the rest is a complete crap shoot and very arbitrary. If a 2-star guy signs commits to OU, he immediately gets a raise in his rankings. The success of 5-stars usually is the most (but only about 50% of those guys turn out like they are suppose to). Just go look at the first round draft picks each year, so a giant mix of all rankings of players. Basketball is the only sports rankings I truly care about because all the good kids play in AAU tournaments and the basketball rankings are pretty accurate because all Rivals and Scout can see most of the top players throughout the year unlike football. One last foot note, never pay any attention to rankings of offensive lineman -- ever.