Are you religious?

Soxy

Well are you?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are you religious?

• Yes, I attend services 3 or 4 times a month
    • Yes, but I don't make it to services very often
    • Christmas and Easter (and when someone drags me) Christian, baby! (or Yom Kippur Jew or Ramadan Muslim, etc)
    • I'm more spiritual than religious, per se
    • I'm still trying to figure that out
    • Nope, not at all.
    • Is atheism a religion?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)
No serious answers yet? Religious, but not in an organized church sort of way. I don't think most of them have the right idea anymore. Way to institutionalized based on how I read the New Testament.

Regular attendance. Regular Bible reading. As a condition of my employment, I have to agree that there is a power greater than myself, and I do so without hesitation.

I guess I am one of the religious wackos that run around here.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)
No serious answers yet? Religious, but not in an organized church sort of way. I don't think most of them have the right idea anymore. Way to institutionalized based on how I read the New Testament.

Don't impose your religion on me.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 05:37 PM)

My vote was serious, even if my beer quip was (mostly) not.

I voted 'Nope, not at all', because I do not consider atheism to be a religion. But that doesn't mean I begrudge anybody's right to practice their faith as long as it doesn't abrogate anybody else's personal freedoms. I come from a staunch religious family whom I very much respect. And I have immense respect for anybody who can walk it like they talk it and who refrains from using their faith as an excuse to attempt to legislate morality for the nation or to codify and condone bigotry.

My wife is also a trained scientist, but she does maintain a belief in a divine agent, and we don't come to blows over it. We also pay through the nose to send our kids to an Episcopal school because it is a top-rated school for academics and because my beliefs shouldn't automatically be my childrens' beliefs. If their schooling also gives them a solid moral footing that's great. It has taken me a lifetime to figure out what I think of religion and the existence of a divine agent and my kids have the right to take up that same journey. I readily tell them I don't have the answers to questions of faith and I encourage them to listen to the minister at chapel as intently as they do their classroom teachers. At 8 and 9 years old, they are learning to recognize hypocrisy when they hear messages of hate and discrimination dressed up as faith belief (the Episcopal gay unions/gay ministers schism plays itself out in miniature in parental debate in the parish), and I am proud of them for it.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
My vote was serious, even if my beer quip was (mostly) not.

I voted 'Nope, not at all', because I do not consider atheism to be a religion. But that doesn't mean I begrudge anybody's right to practice their faith as long as it doesn't abrogate anybody else's personal freedoms. I come from a staunch religious family whom I very much respect. And I have immense respect for anybody who can walk it like they talk it and who refrains from using their faith as an excuse to attempt to legislate morality for the nation or to codify and condone bigotry.

My wife is also a trained scientist, but she does maintain a belief in a divine agent, and we don't come to blows over it. We also pay through the nose to send our kids to an Episcopal school because it is a top-rated school for academics and because my beliefs shouldn't automatically be my childrens' beliefs. If their schooling also gives them a solid moral footing that's great. It has taken me a lifetime to figure out what I think of religion and the existence of a divine agent and my kids have the right to take up that same journey. I readily tell them I don't have the answers to questions of faith and I encourage them to listen to the minister at chapel as intently as they do their classroom teachers. At 8 and 9 years old, they are learning to recognize hypocrisy when they hear messages of hate and discrimination dressed up as faith belief (the Episcopal gay unions/gay ministers schism plays itself out in miniature in parental debate in the parish), and I am proud of them for it.

Brilliant! (Seriously).

That part of your post I really cannot empahsize enough. I can't STAND IT when our government legislates that sort of stuff. It's hypocritical, and burns me (hence why I say all the time that the so-called conservatives need to shut up when it comes to gay-marriage.)

Do I think there are consequences for said choices? Yes. Am I the ultimate one to judge? No. And my government sure as hell isn't either.

So we can decide morality for the nation? My views should be rejected because I go to Church? How about anyone that drinks beer shouldn't be allowed to force their views of alcohol laws on anyone? If you own stocks you shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on financial matters?

Well, I attend mass every sunday and on the holy days but only because while I live under my parents roof, i have no choice.

I am kinda religious, I have a conscience. I feel bad whenever I "sin"... the thing is though, I sin a lot.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
So we can decide morality for the nation? My views should be rejected because I go to Church? How about anyone that drinks beer shouldn't be allowed to force their views of alcohol laws on anyone? If you own stocks you shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on financial matters?

Don't you know that you can't tell anyone else what to do? That is the one supreme law. You cannot tell others what to do. That's what I'm telling you...

I'm Christian (roman catholic to be more specific) I have no problem with people who choose to be athiest. I am not one to shove my religion down peoples throats. However, I get easily offended when someone bashes my God, beliefs or religion. You won't catch me questioning ,bashing or even poking fun at anyone elses beliefs, I ask for equal treatment.

live and let live

I voted that i'm still trying to figure it out. I just don't know what i believe. From the day i was born i went to the same Lutheran church until i got confirmed at 14. Since then i have not gone to one service. Even when i was in church i always questioned my beliefs. I just don't know. Nobody does. I want to believe but i don't want to force it upon myself. I hope it just comes to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPLn9nv26NM

Warning: If you're squeamish, quit viewing at 3:00. That's unless you're interested in pictures of aborted fetuses.

Whatever feelings you may have of Neil deGrasse Tyson (I know many can't stand him), the material covered within this YouTube clip quickly details scientific evidence I've considered at one point or another when determing the existence of a higher being.

When it's all placed together, you really have to marvel at the fact humans are, one, alive; and two, aware of our existence. There have been numerous mass exitinction events on our planet -- a Gamma Ray Burst, Asteroids, Siberian Flats. Hell, 75,000 years ago humans were nearly whiped out from a supervolcano erupting in Indonesia. We're lucky to be here. Whether the aforementioned events make someone more or less willing to believe in something more than us, I don't know. What I figure is, we're due for a devastating natural disaster. Something on the order of killing a sizable percentage of the planet. God or no God. My money is on Yellowstone.

Yeah, that went off track quickly. :)

Edited by Flash Tizzle