2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
Don't post in this thread.

I guarantee it will be my only hocket post of the year. I was listening to the update on the Score, and since I didn't seen anyone post the news yet, I figured I'd keep you updated. Hopefully Havlat is fine....and enjoy the thread.

In other Hawks news... Rocky takes over the Hawks and Peter steps down.....

The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that Rocky Wirtz will assume the role of Chairman of the Chicago Blackhawks. Peter Wirtz has resigned his position as Vice President of the team but will retain his role as President of Bismarck Enterprises.

"In my new role, I look forward to working with General Manager Dale Tallon and Head Coach Denis Savard," he continued. "I feel the team is in good hands under Dale's guidance and leadership. We are all focused on putting a winning team on the ice and winning the Stanley Cup."

I'm not very encouraged by the Havlat info. Call me a pessimist, but it easily sounds like it could be a case of holding him out a week or two, then they realize he needs surgery, and bye bye Marty. I sure hope I'm wrong and if it is indeed only a few weeks, that'd be huge.

Certainly not the way we wanted to see the season begin.

I'm still excited about being there tomorrow night. I was fired up to see Kane, Toews, and Havlat, and now only one will be on the ice. Either way it should be a great crowd and a fun game.

What a game. Fantastic atmosphere.

Down two goals heading to the third, I told my brother I'd be happy if they kept it interesting for the whole period, i.e. didn't get down by three and maybe even score a goal to close the gap within one. Wizzer's goal got the fans right back into the game and Lang's wrister was awesome.

Need we talk more about Kane? He's the best player on the ice. Watching him is exactly how I watched Havlat last year -- when he has the puck, it's almost like you expect a nifty pass or a sweet deke. His vision on the ice is awesome -- he made a great pass to Johansson on the Ruutu goal and even set up Sharp on the doorstep (but Sharp couldn't settle the pass).

What a game. I absolutely love Ruutu and Kane together, let's get Toews healthy so he can join the fun.

On a side note, I'm taking a liking to Kevyn Adams. He's done a great job on the PK and I enjoy watching him forcheck. Our problem is that we have three (too many) players in that same 'grinder' mode -- him, Lapointe and Burish. I love Burish as much as Adams so that leaves Lapointe, our assistant captain making $3 (?) million to grind out fourth line minutes. He's gotta go, and guys like Rene Bourque and Jason Williams need to s*** or get off the pot. I actually thought Bourque played well at times tonight, but if neither of those guys are going to score, all they're doing is blocking Brouwer and Skille.

I agree on Kane, Adams (who took a lot of draws in the OT then went off the ice immediately). Thought Bourque was OK, didn't really think too much of Williams. I will like the day when we can get him off the point on the PP.

To add a few 'new' thoughts...

Khabibulin was rock solid tonight. He made some superb saves, and was awesome in the shootout. Don't want to let that go unnoticed.

I thought Samsonov had a nice game, especially the last 2 periods. He was around the puck a lot, was using his speed, and was actually noticeable out there.

Sopel was actually pretty decent. He seemed strong on the puck and didn't get beat, also didn't have too many turnovers from what I remember. Magnus seems like he'll be pretty good but he had a few bone headed turnovers (that failed slap shot dump in on a bouncing puck was retarded) just like the rest of our defense (mainly Keith, though I still like the guy.

Whole lot of fun tonight. If this team can keep its head above water and get Toews and Havlat back and running (Toews should be ready Wed), this team could be a lot of fun this year.

Also...I was SHOCKED there were so many people booing, yelling, and starting detroit sucks chants during Tallon's speech on Wirtz, which at times was tough to hear. As you all know I wasn't a big fan of Wirtz, but I stood throughout the entire thing and didn't say a word. I don't know what it was like around you guys but it was somewhat loud around me and no one was standing, people were just being assholes. You could at least suck it up for like 2 minutes and just shut up about it, but no, people have to be that disrespectful. That was pretty disappointing. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of it, but I just figured people would be quiet for 2 minutes, have moment of silence, and then rock and roll to the anthem. It was very amateur.

Oh, and Detroit fans are still a bunch of obnoxious f***s. Constantly getting up/coming in during whistles, using profanity, and talking stupid.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 01:37 AM)
I agree on Kane, Adams (who took a lot of draws in the OT then went off the ice immediately). Thought Bourque was OK, didn't really think too much of Williams. I will like the day when we can get him off the point on the PP.

To add a few 'new' thoughts...

Khabibulin was rock solid tonight. He made some superb saves, and was awesome in the shootout. Don't want to let that go unnoticed.

I thought Samsonov had a nice game, especially the last 2 periods. He was around the puck a lot, was using his speed, and was actually noticeable out there.

Sopel was actually pretty decent. He seemed strong on the puck and didn't get beat, also didn't have too many turnovers from what I remember. Magnus seems like he'll be pretty good but he had a few bone headed turnovers (that failed slap shot dump in on a bouncing puck was retarded) just like the rest of our defense (mainly Keith, though I still like the guy.

Whole lot of fun tonight. If this team can keep its head above water and get Toews and Havlat back and running (Toews should be ready Wed), this team could be a lot of fun this year.

Also...I was SHOCKED there were so many people booing, yelling, and starting detroit sucks chants during Tallon's speech on Wirtz, which at times was tough to hear. As you all know I wasn't a big fan of Wirtz, but I stood throughout the entire thing and didn't say a word. I don't know what it was like around you guys but it was somewhat loud around me and no one was standing, people were just being assholes. You could at least suck it up for like 2 minutes and just shut up about it, but no, people have to be that disrespectful. That was pretty disappointing. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of it, but I just figured people would be quiet for 2 minutes, have moment of silence, and then rock and roll to the anthem. It was very amateur.

Oh, and Detroit fans are still a bunch of obnoxious f***s. Constantly getting up/coming in during whistles, using profanity, and talking stupid.

I actually thought when listening to Tallon that they we're telling the fans to be loud during the anthem in honor of Wirtz. Which, give me a sigh of relief because I completely expected segments of the crowd to get ugly.

The Hawks PP still needs work, seemed like they we're standing around a lot. The 2 Detroit PP goals came right off them winning the draw and they immediately got it to the point and shot it in.

As everyone else has said Kane was awesome last night, what a moment it was in the building when he got the goal in the shoot-out.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)
One of you hockey experts please tell me the Hawks at least HAVE A CHANCE to make the playoffs this year, even as a #8 seed. That's all I ask, I just want them to make the playoffs in a league where almost everybody makes it.

I believe if they stay healthy and the rookies can contribute somewhat that they definitely have a shot at the 8 seed this year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)
One of you hockey experts please tell me the Hawks at least HAVE A CHANCE to make the playoffs this year, even as a #8 seed. That's all I ask, I just want them to make the playoffs in a league where almost everybody makes it.

Without Havlat, they don't have a chance. They need one big scorer at least, plus a big year from either Samsonov or Perrault to take the pressue off of the kids.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)

It would take more things to go right but it's certainly possible. Among those...

- Toews and Kane have to be pretty good. They don't have to be Crosby/Malkin/Crosby good, but they have to be pretty solid. Toews/Kane/Ruutu may technically be our second line, but with Havlat out, the most talent is on that line. Speaking of the third guy on that line...

- Ruutu has to take the next step. I think he's gotta focus more on becoming a goal scorer than a big hitter. Take the hit when it's there, finish your checks, but don't go out of your way to look for a hit. Without Havlat, he has to be the team's best finisher. With Kane and Toews he's going to get the puck whenever he wants it where he wants it (i.e. right on the tape, on three feet behind his skates). He's gotta stay healthy and score goals.

- The defense needs to start to progress. I think Johansson, Sopel and Wisniewski should be fairly reliable 4-6 types. I don't like what I've seen so far out of Vandermeer -- he's slow and his physical-ness doesn't make up for his lack of speed. Seabrook needs to keep improving and Keith needs to stop making so many stupid turnovers. He can fly when he has the puck but in his own end he's gotta be a little smarter.

- Khabibulin is going to need to have his best year of his Blackhawks career.

We've played 125+ minutes of hockey against two very good teams. Unlike past years, we've been able to keep up with these teams -- no longer do I feel like any given night against a good-to-great team will be a loss. We're still out-talented most nights but the discrepency isn't anywhere near as big. We've also played both these games without two top-six forwards (Ruutu/Toews and Havlat/Toews). Maybe I'm overrating Toews but I tend to believe his addition to the lineup will be huge -- it pushes every center down a line save for Lang. That relieves Perrault of some of his scoring duties and let's him play a more defensive role.

Only two games but so far, so good.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
It would take more things to go right but it's certainly possible. Among those...

- Toews and Kane have to be pretty good. They don't have to be Crosby/Malkin/Crosby good, but they have to be pretty solid. Toews/Kane/Ruutu may technically be our second line, but with Havlat out, the most talent is on that line. Speaking of the third guy on that line...

- Ruutu has to take the next step. I think he's gotta focus more on becoming a goal scorer than a big hitter. Take the hit when it's there, finish your checks, but don't go out of your way to look for a hit. Without Havlat, he has to be the team's best finisher. With Kane and Toews he's going to get the puck whenever he wants it where he wants it (i.e. right on the tape, on three feet behind his skates). He's gotta stay healthy and score goals.

- The defense needs to start to progress. I think Johansson, Sopel and Wisniewski should be fairly reliable 4-6 types. I don't like what I've seen so far out of Vandermeer -- he's slow and his physical-ness doesn't make up for his lack of speed. Seabrook needs to keep improving and Keith needs to stop making so many stupid turnovers. He can fly when he has the puck but in his own end he's gotta be a little smarter.

- Khabibulin is going to need to have his best year of his Blackhawks career.

We've played 125+ minutes of hockey against two very good teams. Unlike past years, we've been able to keep up with these teams -- no longer do I feel like any given night against a good-to-great team will be a loss. We're still out-talented most nights but the discrepency isn't anywhere near as big. We've also played both these games without two top-six forwards (Ruutu/Toews and Havlat/Toews). Maybe I'm overrating Toews but I tend to believe his addition to the lineup will be huge -- it pushes every center down a line save for Lang. That relieves Perrault of some of his scoring duties and let's him play a more defensive role.

Only two games but so far, so good.

The big thing there is that Tuomo has to be on the ice for 70+ games. No more missing two months for injuries.

There's a lot of parity in the league where even the post lockout years there wasn't. The Hawks are still on the outside looking in (IMO), but they're starting to catch up on the talent ranks.

St. Louis is DRASTICALLY improved. Nashville will regress, but not that far (out of the playoffs). The Pacific is scary good from top to bottom (name me a team in that division who doesn't make the playoffs - my guess is Dallas and they are not that bad of a team). The Northwest is improved. The only team not that much better is Columbus, but remember Rick Nash missed a good chunk of Oct, Nov and Dec last year, and he makes them better.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 7, 2007 -> 12:16 AM)
I echo these statements. That was the most fun I have had at the UC in a long, long time.

There are real players to build around, finally. The top line really shined tonight, and as you said, adding Toews to the mix will only make things better. It still was clear the talent level between Detroit and the Hawks is large, but the gap is closing. The Wings really controlled the tempo for most of the night, and especially in OT.

I was there too. Great crowd, team looked solid. Kane has Gretzky-like passing touch and vision, im not saying he is going to be anywhere near as good of a player, but i see the skill that made him the #1 pick.

Also the booing of Wirtz during the ceremony was classless IMO.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 8, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
I was there too. Great crowd, team looked solid. Kane has Gretzky-like passing touch and vision, im not saying he is going to be anywhere near as good of a player, but i see the skill that made him the #1 pick.

Also the booing of Wirtz during the ceremony was classless IMO.

Kane's vision is masterful. The kid is a born hockey player.

The big deal is losing Havlat. How long? Right now we don't know, but he said that it felt the same when he blew out his shoulder the last time. :crying

... I love Tuomo Ruutu a lot, but we all know the way he plays he may spend some time on the shelf at some point himself. /end negative cynicism of being Blackhawks fan

--In retrospect, I am proud as hell of the first two games. This team has shown fight, toughness, moxie...something not seen with the Hawks in some time. We also outshot Detroit, something few teams do. This is a good hockey club and they are well coached. Its problem is youth and a key injury.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)
I really want to get NHL Center Ice Online so I can watch tonights game, but I don't want to drop $160.

Do you know anybody with the regular TV package? If so, I think you can probably do something where they buy it (and you pay them) -- they then send in a rebate form that shows they already have Center Ice, and IIRC, you get the price down to half of the $170. Kind of a pain in the ass way of doing it, but...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
Do you know anybody with the regular TV package? If so, I think you can probably do something where they buy it (and you pay them) -- they then send in a rebate form that shows they already have Center Ice, and IIRC, you get the price down to half of the $170. Kind of a pain in the ass way of doing it, but...

Will it be shown on the sports package like that? Because then im going to a bar to watch it for sure.