Who likes the Swisher trade?

striker

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Swisher trade?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
I'm not that worried about what's coming back, I'm a little more worried about the fact that DLS is going out.

I understand that. I kinda of think of it like this: If I offered you $100 in cash or a scratch off lottery ticket, which would you take?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
I understand that. I kinda of think of it like this: If I offered you $100 in cash or a scratch off lottery ticket, which would you take?

Depends on how the lottery game is constructed and what my odds of winning it are.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)
He is using them....to obtain major league talent. One of the purposes of a farm system is to use them as trade bait. KW has said many times that the reason that they draft so many pitchers is that everybody wants pitching and I will have pieces that other GMs want.

I usually am of the opinion that you hold on to promising pitchers instead of obtaining bats. However, an on base machiene, signed to a long term, cheap contract is too hard to pass up. He will be here through 2012. HE can be the future more than some of the other prospects because he is a quality MLB player.

I want to compete in the division and for the playoffs NOW. Buy the pitching outright, Cleveland would have dumped Boston for except one factor, Josh Beckett's two huge wins in that series. Can't wait at this point to hope pitching prospects are going to pan out, if you want to win, go buy the proven guys...IMO

I like the trade. I am not too concerned about losing Sweeney (reminds me of Ross Gload) or DLS. I think Gio will be real good for a 2-3 year window in the bigs but you have to trade something to get something. Swisher and Quentin is a nice start to a young, up and coming outfield.

I don't know why getting a proven 27-year-old that is signed basically through 2012 to a reasonable contract is considered bad in terms of the future? We gave up 3 unproven guys and if one pans out, oh well, its not like we got a 6-month or 1 year rental in return.

At first, I was shocked at both Gio and DLS included. Yet the sox are trying to win in the next few years. Swisher gives them another young hitter to build around along with Fields, and Quentin. I can't fault KW for making a gutsy move like this. There didn't seem to be many moves that could make the sox able to challenge the Tigers or Indians. At least this helps the short term sox. I still see the sox needing more pitching, esp. the bullpen. We'll see what kind of arm a healthy Crede can bring.

The long term... well. The sox have assets to trade if they need to rebuild.

Another factor in considering the trade is the sox showing improvement in their drafting [and scouting in Latin America, ala DLS]. The farm system can improve pretty quickly. KW has done well in years past trading young minor leaguers who haven't amounted to much, overall. And has gotten solid major league talent in return. If the draft system improves and gives the sox REAL talent, I'm not worried. With the state of sox farm system the last decade, it can't help but improve.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
Another factor in considering the trade is the sox showing improvement in their drafting [and scouting in Latin America, ala DLS]. The farm system can improve pretty quickly. KW has done well in years past trading young minor leaguers who haven't amounted to much, overall. And has gotten solid major league talent in return. If the draft system improves and gives the sox REAL talent, I'm not worried. With the state of sox farm system the last decade, it can't help but improve.

They are really going to need some cheap pitchers pretty soon.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)

Buddy Bell is going to help the minors too.

I still don't get what kind of team we're supposed to have.

It seems like we have a patchwork of slugging big names among no-name rookies or so-so, inconsistent players (Uribe). Sounds like... 2004.

I'd take 2004 over 2007 :gosox2:

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
KW doesn't know which direction to go. Rebuild or play for this season?

Can't you do both? I mean, KW is putting the best product on the field he can, but he's putting together a core of good, young, cheap players too at the same time.

Whether KW believes this team will win the division is one thing - I'm sure he would, off the record, acknowledge it as a possibility but not a likelihood. Regardless of that, he's putting a pretty damn good offense on the field and they are getting set to have a pretty solid offensive team for a few years. There are now replacements on this team for Konerko, Thome, and Dye in the middle of the lineup. That's something nice to have.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)
Can't you do both? I mean, KW is putting the best product on the field he can, but he's putting together a core of good, young, cheap players too at the same time.

Whether KW believes this team will win the division is one thing - I'm sure he would, off the record, acknowledge it as a possibility but not a likelihood. Regardless of that, he's putting a pretty damn good offense on the field and they are getting set to have a pretty solid offensive team for a few years. There are now replacements on this team for Konerko, Thome, and Dye in the middle of the lineup. That's something nice to have.

I agree with that completely...he's building for a few years down the road as well. I guess there are a ton of variables to be considered with this trade. You have the side that states "Proven hitter > 3 prospects". To a degree...yes. But until Nick Swisher actually comes in and proves to be the star quality player some are making him out to be...he's merely a 27-yr old .260-.270 hitter. When he mashes 40 dingers per for a few consecutive years. I'll be ok with the trade. Hits somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 consistantly...I'll be ok with it. High OBP ever year...ok. BUT...he still hasn't done that and like a previous poster said...I think you get this trade done with some other pitcher besides DLS (Russell or Egbert).

Don't get me wrong...I'm sure I'll love having Nick Swisher on this team. But in a few years...I don't want to see the second coming of Pedro Martinez in DLS pitching for someone else if he turns out to be that way (which he very well might). Kenny is building for the future as well as being competitive this year (not an easy thing in this division). Plus the ammo of PK, Thome, Dye for a midseason trade to a contender SHOULD bring back some minor league talent.

I'm on the fence with this one. On one hand I like the trade. On the other side I hate it.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
I agree with that completely...he's building for a few years down the road as well. I guess there are a ton of variables to be considered with this trade. You have the side that states "Proven hitter > 3 prospects". To a degree...yes. But until Nick Swisher actually comes in and proves to be the star quality player some are making him out to be...he's merely a 27-yr old .260-.270 hitter. When he mashes 40 dingers per for a few consecutive years. I'll be ok with the trade. Hits somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 consistantly...I'll be ok with it. High OBP ever year...ok. BUT...he still hasn't done that and like a previous poster said...I think you get this trade done with some other pitcher besides DLS (Russell or Egbert).

Don't get me wrong...I'm sure I'll love having Nick Swisher on this team. But in a few years...I don't want to see the second coming of Pedro Martinez in DLS pitching for someone else if he turns out to be that way (which he very well might). Kenny is building for the future as well as being competitive this year (not an easy thing in this division). Plus the ammo of PK, Thome, Dye for a midseason trade to a contender SHOULD bring back some minor league talent.

I'm on the fence with this one. On one hand I like the trade. On the other side I hate it.

I'm willing to bet a LOT that DLS doesn't even come close to Pedro Martinez.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 12:14 AM)
I'm willing to bet a LOT that DLS doesn't even come close to Pedro Martinez.

lol...well I'm sure that's a pretty safe bet. I was just using it as an example. I guess in a few years nobody will really even remember this trade. The chances of DLS becoming a frontline pitcher though seem pretty good. One thing though...Sox fans will have that clubhouse guy that they've wanted since Rowand left from the sounds of it. Maybe that had some merit with Kenny instead of the corpse patrol that's in there now. I'll say this...he has inserted some character and talent for this team this year....which was SORELY needed.

I like Swisher, but I don't like the trade even though i can see the reasoning behind it.

That being said, for 2008 at least this will clearly be a better baseball team than the sludge we put out there last year and it has potential to be better than 2006, because that year the pitching was awful.

I do believe we gave up way too much for Swisher, but he really makes this a much more competitive team, at least 3rd in the ALCentral. Right now, on paper, I still don't see it...Contreras, Danks, Floyd? This crew is going to top Det and/or Cleveland? Dont forget we compete with the other divisions as well.

Again, I don't see it, but unlike prior to this deal I can't be as confident we won't make post-season next year. i still dont think we will, but the chances have gone up. Swisher is a warrior of a player and fits into our team wonderfully.

I mean...the cost was high and it hurts, but we just replaced Darrin Erstad with Nick Swisher. And not one single player who figured to be a contributor on our 08 roster was moved.

Edited by kwolf68

I mean...the cost was high and it hurts, but we just replaced Darrin Erstad with Nick Swisher. And not one single player who figured to be a contributor on our 08 roster was moved.

Great post, Wolf.

I think you hit it right on the head.

If you look at the true cost of the trade---Freddy Garcia, DLS and Sweeney for Swisher and Gavin Floyd--what's not to like about it? Esp. if Floyd can keep up his solid end of the year performance in 2008.

Also, for the sox to trade Gio a second time, to me means they weren't really confident about him.

I've seen Rock and wite hint at it now, and the more I consider it, the more it makes sense... Even though the farm system has been drained yet again, its important to note that the team has actually been stockpiling good, young, cheap talent - but at the major league level. Quentin, Ramirez, Swisher, Richar, Floyd, Danks... add in home grown talent like Fields, Owens, some of the bullpen pieces like Logan, Wassermann... and the 2008 team is suddenly showing a lot of young talent. So even though they aren't farmhands, they are still going to likely help this ballclub for the next few years much the same way a strong talent at AAA or AA would, except sooner. And even O-Cab, who is older, is there to potentially protect a position (SS) that the farm system lacks any near-ready talent in.

And that provides a nice side effect too. Think about this for a second. KW has basically turned his player development and scouting staff upside down in the past year - he is starting over. If those things result in positive change, it will take a few years, as they draft and develop better talent. So what does that system need to do that? Time. And these younger players who now will be a large chunk of the 25-man roster gives the team exactly that. Time to get the system up and running in its new model.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
I've seen Rock and wite hint at it now, and the more I consider it, the more it makes sense... Even though the farm system has been drained yet again, its important to note that the team has actually been stockpiling good, young, cheap talent - but at the major league level. Quentin, Ramirez, Swisher, Richar, Floyd, Danks... add in home grown talent like Fields, Owens, some of the bullpen pieces like Logan, Wassermann... and the 2008 team is suddenly showing a lot of young talent. So even though they aren't farmhands, they are still going to likely help this ballclub for the next few years much the same way a strong talent at AAA or AA would, except sooner. And even O-Cab, who is older, is there to potentially protect a position (SS) that the farm system lacks any near-ready talent in.

And that provides a nice side effect too. Think about this for a second. KW has basically turned his player development and scouting staff upside down in the past year - he is starting over. If those things result in positive change, it will take a few years, as they draft and develop better talent. So what does that system need to do that? Time. And these younger players who now will be a large chunk of the 25-man roster gives the team exactly that. Time to get the system up and running in its new model.

That's an EXCELLENT post. And the sad thing is 95% of Soxtalk doesn't get that, unfortunately.

One reason I like this trade is because Swisher is a good character guy. I know that flys in the face of many opinions on this board, but I enjoy cheering for a player I like. I don't like arrogant assholes with a load of talent, yet are still arrogant assholes. Many people here don't give a s***...it's win at all costs, but for me personally...I'd rather cheer for a guy like Swisher than a guy like Manny or Bonds. They may have more talent, but IMO their antics and pompusness overshadow that. Sure I would take their homeruns and ability to help the Sox win, but I would curse them under my breath and not feel good about it. I know stat guys and paper roster guys never look at s*** like that, but as a fan I do. When Swisher hits a homerun for the sox, I will feel dam good about it. Guys like Swisher mean something to a team and it isn't always in the numbers. So yeah I really like the trade.