So Brian Anderson's hitting...

Steve9347

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 08:27 AM)
Sweeney = Jeremy Reed v2.0 at this point, unless he can start to hit for power, whenever that is going to be.

It could happen this next season, or it may not at all.

He has a pretty big hole in his swing on the inside. He be an auto out until he fixes that.

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
Too bad its impossible to improve your mechanics right?

Sweeney's problem isn't mechanics, he's got a great swing... he just has weak forearms and wrists and can't get the bat around fast enough to hit the inside pitch with authority.

Plus, I never said mechanics can't be fixed. I'm saying Brian Anderson sucks as a baseball player.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
Sweeney's problem isn't mechanics, he's got a great swing... he just has weak forearms and wrists and can't get the bat around fast enough to hit the inside pitch with authority.

Plus, I never said mechanics can't be fixed. I'm saying Brian Anderson sucks as a baseball player.

That's a perfectly logical argument

It would only take one year of offseason training to strengthen your wrsits and forearms. I mean I don't know much about Sweeney, I liked him, but if his only problem is wrist and forearm strength...they have tons of excerises for that and a trainer would have him fixed in one offseason program.

Where do yo get this stuff? Has Ryan or a trainer or something come out and said his wrists are weak or have you just observed this? Maybe you should call and let him know...I'll bet he would be thrilled to know his only problem is he needs to work out a little.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 12:22 PM)
It would only take one year of offseason training to strengthen your wrsits and forearms. I mean I don't know much about Sweeney, I liked him, but if his only problem is wrist and forearm strength...they have tons of excerises for that and a trainer would have him fixed in one offseason program.

Where do yo get this stuff? Has Ryan or a trainer or something come out and said his wrists are weak or have you just observed this? Maybe you should call and let him know...I'll bet he would be thrilled to know his only problem is he needs to work out a little.

Sweeney has actually had wrist problems for a couple years now, and it probably has slowed up his career a bit. He's also young enough still that he's just now hitting the age when a solid weight training program might be able to start doing something about it, depending on how he develops and fills out.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
Sweeney has actually had wrist problems for a couple years now, and it probably has slowed up his career a bit. He's also young enough still that he's just now hitting the age when a solid weight training program might be able to start doing something about it, depending on how he develops and fills out.

Something like this:figB.gif

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
Something like this:figB.gif

I know the kind of work you're referring to. I just also would add that personally, no matter how much work I did, I couldn't really add muscle or strengthen areas like that no matter how much weight training I did until I started approaching my mid 20's. Depending on how Sweeney develops he might be in the same boat.

So he has a great swing, but its too slow to be effective. How then is it a great swing? Mechanics isn't everything. He also has a hole in his swing, which you just admitted, iirc.

Don't bother replying if its just some other fallacious way to justify your man love for Sweeney and disdain for Anderson.

Edited by max power

I remember an exercise my high school baseball coach made us do for wrists and forearms. He had a weight (less than a lb.) tied on about a 2ft. string attached to what basically was a shortened broom handle. With the weight hanging down and our hands palm down we would have to roll it up then roll it back down.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
I remember an exercise my high school baseball coach made us do for wrists and forearms. He had a weight (less than a lb.) tied on about a 2ft. string attached to what basically was a shortened broom handle. With the weight hanging down and our hands palm down we would have to roll it up then roll it back down.

that workout is a b****.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)

My dad had me doing that when I was in little league. It was a b****...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
I know the kind of work you're referring to. I just also would add that personally, no matter how much work I did, I couldn't really add muscle or strengthen areas like that no matter how much weight training I did until I started approaching my mid 20's. Depending on how Sweeney develops he might be in the same boat.

You're right. Some people just can't gain muscle mass in certain areas. He may be screwed. Otherwise he can try this:

forearm.jpg

I, uh, I heard that there were easy places to go in the Bay Area if you want to gain muscle mass/strength. Anyone hear that?

I wish Sweeney luck and success. I like that guy.

As for BA -- I still don't think he's very good, but he looks a little different and he's saying the right things. If he gets a chance and does well, good for him. I don't begrudge him. Although I wouldn't bet on him becoming much of a player, I'm not rooting against him.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
I, uh, I heard that there were easy places to go in the Bay Area if you want to gain muscle mass/strength. Anyone hear that?

I wish Sweeney luck and success. I like that guy.

As for BA -- I still don't think he's very good, but he looks a little different and he's saying the right things. If he gets a chance and does well, good for him. I don't begrudge him. Although I wouldn't bet on him becoming much of a player, I'm not rooting against him.

Well, if someone makes a change, they gotta start somewhere I guess.

As long as he keeps the locks.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
Hmm...not sure why you'd be wanting to pull one off after spending time working out with your coach. You can say you hate him, but... :unsure:

I think I made it fairly obvious that I was sexually molested as a child, thanks for ridicule... see you in hell.