Juan Uribe Placed on Waivers

flavum

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
Well...I wasn't willing to say that renegotiating Uribe's contract before trading for Cabrera was a mistake a few months ago when that all went down.

But today, this officially moves me into the camp of saying it was a mistake to re-up with Uribe. How can you re-up with a guy and then 4 months later cut him before he's played a game of baseball?

Because Kenny Williams is your gm. That's 9.5 million dollars now on Crede and Uribe for this year alone, we DFA'd one within four months, and we can't beg anybody to trade for the other. Now that is excellence in management right there. On a side note, hopefully this means they think Ramirez is ready to roll, and hopefully if so they are right.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
Because Kenny Williams is your gm. That's 9.5 million dollars now on Crede and Uribe for this year alone, we DFA'd one within four months, and we can't beg anybody to trade for the other. Now that is excellence in management right there. On a side note, hopefully this means they think Ramirez is ready to roll, and hopefully if so they are right.

Its not our money.

QUOTE(JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
So does this now take our roster to 38? Now we trade for Brian Roberts and some craptastic reliever on the O's?

Maybe. The only bullets we have to trade is Josh Fields and Carlos Quentin IMO. Im really hoping we dont see a Roberts+Sherrill for whats left of our young talent.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
In the end, I guess I am happy. Hopefully someone picks him up and pays his contract. Is that how it works? Are we off the hook if he is claimed?

The team has 10 days to trade him or for another team to claim him off of the waiver wire and agree to pick up his contract as written. If that doesn't happen, the Sox are on the hook for the full price for this year.

You can guess how many GM's would be happy to pick up that contract right now if they expect they can sign Uribe for a lot less 10 days from now. Probably the only shot is to trade Uribe for a fringe minor leaguer somewhere and hope that we can talk a team into paying 1/2 of his salary in exchange for first dibs at him.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)

If you want to take shots at Williams, by all means, go ahead.

But wasting money has not been one of his downfalls...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
Its not our money.

Whatever, it's just sad to see a GM spend 9.5 million dollars on two guys for a season's payroll, and all he's going to get for it is a B level prospect and/or costing major league time for the future 3rd baseman in the process of trying to get that B level prospect.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
Maybe. The only bullets we have to trade is Josh Fields and Carlos Quentin IMO. Im really hoping we dont see a Roberts+Sherrill for whats left of our young talent.

With they way they've been talking about Ramirez, I have a lot of difficulty thinking that they'd be willing to block him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
Yes if someone claims him, they pay his contract.

Correct. We will not get nothing for him, but I doubt he would have netted much. Getting him moved like this is the best move.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
Whatever, it's just sad to see a GM spend 9.5 million dollars on two guys for a season's payroll, and all he's going to get for it is a B level prospect and/or costing major league time for the future 3rd baseman in the process of trying to get that B level prospect.

We dont pay his salary is what I meant. If he's picked up, THEY pay.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
With they way they've been talking about Ramirez, I have a lot of difficulty thinking that they'd be willing to block him.

True, although you could be a younger Pablo for us, backing up the OF as well as the IF. BUt who knows?

If the Cubs don't have the horses to trade for Roberts, we sure as hell don't. And I wasn't aware that the claimer would have to pay Uribe's salary. In that case, I would think he will clear unless there is one team out there dumber than I'd expect (I can't even imagine Baltimore is that dumb).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
If the Cubs don't have the horses to trade for Roberts, we sure as hell don't. And I wasn't aware that the claimer would have to pay Uribe's salary. In that case, I would think he will clear unless there is one team out there dumber than I'd expect (I can't even imagine Baltimore is that dumb).

The cubs have been offering pretty much crap so far, Gallagher, Murton and Cedeno arent much. We have 2 MLB ready players in Fields and Quentin who could fit in with Balt.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)

If we offered up Quentin, he might well be more valuable than anything the Cubs have remaining that they could offer. And it would be an idiotic move on the Sox part.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
If we offered up Quentin, he might well be more valuable than anything the Cubs have remaining that they could offer. And it would be an idiotic move on the Sox part.

That's true, but I agree it would be an idiotic move by us so I'm hoping that's not on the table.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
And it would be an idiotic move on the Sox part.

Offering Quentin as the centerpiece for a Roberts deal would be the opposite of idiotic. That'd be a perfect fit for this team.

It won't happen, but Balta, damn sometimes you confuse me.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
That's true, but I agree it would be an idiotic move by us so I'm hoping that's not on the table.

Hopefully the message from this move is..."Danny, Alexei, it's your shot, you've earned it".

I think they made this move because of Ramirez's performance this spring. Hopefully we don't lock him in at 2nd base long term and block Richar while leaving us searching for the SS that he could be, but based on their recent statements that seems like a logical conclusion

I have thought all along that the Sox are heavy on the Roberts trail as he answers all of their questions. I am not sure if a DFA by Uribe does anything though as the roster spots will be opened with the players moved. I really think Payton is coming back as the 4th OF or one of those really bad bullpen contracts. There is a part of me that thinks McPhail is not looking to help the cub.

The only thing this does for a roster spot is open it up for a non-tender, is today a deadline, why the urgency?????

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
Offering Quentin as the centerpiece for a Roberts deal would be the opposite of idiotic. That'd be a perfect fit for this team.

It won't happen, but Balta, damn sometimes you confuse me.

Dropping a guy when his value is low because of injury who has put up great numbers throughout the minors and is under our control for little salary for the next 5 years in exchange for a more expensive guy named in the Mitchell report who is under our control for less time and who blocks 2 more of our young guys who could very easily handle that position today at a vastly lower cost...that's not the kind of move this franchise needs to be making.