Told you!

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 01:08 AM)
The Contreras comparison makes it sound an awful lot like you're suggesting that Uribe will suddenly turn into something he's not. Ramirez has proven s***, true, and Uribe has. What has Uribe proven? That he sucks, and he can be counted on to barely hit .200 and run into a few big hits here and there.

Not looking at any RISP stats, or any stats at all actually, I get the impression that Uribe has come up big in important situations over the years. In order to get me to feel this way, you have to, well, come up big in important situations. I'm not easily impressed. Maybe laziness or a lacksidaisical attitude can account for what we often see. What was Freddie's forte? Big Game pitcher. Did that work out for us? Well, I guess.

He's not ever gonna sport a .300 average, but if everyone on your team batted .300, what would be the point of holding playoffs or a World Series? Again, not looking at stats, I think Uribe has had a .250-.260 average at years end sometime in the past. 20+ homers, and in the range of 70-80 RBI. Someone who sucks as you put it doesn't have 70-80 RBI, 20+ homers. If you disagree, then I beg of you, please explain this to me. Or maybe he just got lucky 70-80 times, and his bat tripped and fell right on the screws of a baseball thrown at him 20+ times. F***ing four leaf clovers... He's capable, light a fire named Alexei under his ass, and I think he'll be a bit more selective with what he swings at. Labeling him as a .200 hitter would be based on this year, and in that case, we're f***ed, because Nick Swisher is a .210 hitter, Paulie- .210, Thome- .200, and OCab has a solid 40 point fall from grace. Also, Floyd, Danks, Contreras and even Linebrink should have a helluva time duking it out for Cy Young, etc, etc. Not to mention, f*** Babe Ruth, they might as well name some candy after Quentin, oh wait, the law of averages seems to have caught up with him. Is it too late to cancel the statues many have dedicated in his likeness? I'll check with the Detroit Tigers of '05 to make sure...

Not ripping on you, cause again, I like seeing Taz in cartoons, not White Sox games, but we've won with guys like Timo Perez, Willie Harris, Damaso Marte, and the afore mentioned Juan Uribe- who should just quit his job because he flat out sucks and he talks to his bats too... The Uribe hatred is exaggerated. The way he's made out over here would make one think that planting a tree in his stead at home plate would better suit our "offense" cause maybe once in a while it would draw a walk (only for the next batter to wipe it out with a DP) or not swing at the same pitch that fooled 100% of the rest of the lineup.

Besides, I don't care if he bats .000000001.

is enough to solidify him as my 9 hitter, and Valentin has nothing on it. Edited by ChiSox35

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 02:24 AM)
Not looking at any RISP stats, or any stats at all actually, I get the impression that Uribe has come up big in important situations over the years. In order to get me to feel this way, you have to, well, come up big in important situations. I'm not easily impressed. Maybe laziness or a lacksidaisical attitude can account for what we often see. What was Freddie's forte? Big Game pitcher. Did that work out for us? Well, I guess.

Uribe is hitting .357 with runners in scoring position. The Sox should release him immediately. Right now, I'm sure Ramirez is the secondbaseman, but he hasn't done much the last four games or so and Ozzie needs to get his bench some playing time, so it was a good time to give Ramirez a break. Ozzie has been known to play his bench a couple of games in a row, and this substitution worked out well. Uribe was a big part of Friday's win. Its unlikely Ramirez being in the line-up yesterday would have resulted in 2 more runs, so even though the White Sox only eeked out 3 hits, and Uribe was 0-2, the blame on him being in the line-up is just so ridiculous, its amazing. Frankly, if Ramirez played Friday and Saturday and Uribe sat, there's a good possibility the White Sox would be trying to avoid the sweep today.

There is nothing wrong with playing Uribe two days in a row. It is the proper move since he needs playing time. Maybe three days in a row if he plays Sunday and they rest Cabrera. Uribe helped us win Friday and didn't do anything to make us lose Saturday.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 02:24 AM)

He's not ever gonna sport a .300 average, but if everyone on your team batted .300, what would be the point of holding playoffs or a World Series? Again, not looking at stats, I think Uribe has had a .250-.260 average at years end sometime in the past. 20+ homers, and in the range of 70-80 RBI. Someone who sucks as you put it doesn't have 70-80 RBI, 20+ homers. If you disagree, then I beg of you, please explain this to me. Or maybe he just got lucky 70-80 times, and his bat tripped and fell right on the screws of a baseball thrown at him 20+ times. F***ing four leaf clovers... He's capable, light a fire named Alexei under his ass, and I think he'll be a bit more selective with what he swings at. Labeling him as a .200 hitter would be based on this year, and in that case, we're f***ed, because Nick Swisher is a .210 hitter, Paulie- .210, Thome- .200, and OCab has a solid 40 point fall from grace. Also, Floyd, Danks, Contreras and even Linebrink should have a helluva time duking it out for Cy Young, etc, etc. Not to mention, f*** Babe Ruth, they might as well name some candy after Quentin, oh wait, the law of averages seems to have caught up with him. Is it too late to cancel the statues many have dedicated in his likeness? I'll check with the Detroit Tigers of '05 to make sure...

Not ripping on you, cause again, I like seeing Taz in cartoons, not White Sox games, but we've won with guys like Timo Perez, Willie Harris, Damaso Marte, and the afore mentioned Juan Uribe- who should just quit his job because he flat out sucks and he talks to his bats too... The Uribe hatred is exaggerated. The way he's made out over here would make one think that planting a tree in his stead at home plate would better suit our "offense" cause maybe once in a while it would draw a walk (only for the next batter to wipe it out with a DP) or not swing at the same pitch that fooled 100% of the rest of the lineup.

is enough to solidify him as my 9 hitter, and Valentin has nothing on it.

Juan Uribe is a bad hitter. Can we label him a .230ish hitter.

07 .234 BA/.284OBP 74 OPS+

06 .235 BA/.257OBP 73 OPS+

I want Uribe as the supersub player. The guy you rotate around the horn to rest players. I dont want him as the starter. Thousands of ABs say he is a bad hitter. I would rather have Alexei who gives us better average and OBP.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 14, 2008 -> 09:50 PM)
well nobody will take thome's salary, and bonds maybe in jail soon. Furthermore, it seems baseball has made a stand not to bring Bonds back into the fold. i think they want him to quietly go away.

His trial is set for March of next year.

Your upset that Uribe played 2 days in a row, you should be use to it by now seeing Konerko in the line up almost every day. Konerko and Uribe are not the only guys that are stinking up the joint, honorable mentions to Swisher and Thome.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jun 14, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
5 of 6 losses and now Detroit has awaken.

I'm not ready to pronounce Detroit as being back. Sure, they swept us, but they've got some significant pitching issues and the Dodgers aren't exactly world beaters. I would expect that both the Indians and Tigers are going to play well during interleague games. The Sox need to as well!

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 04:24 AM)

is enough to solidify him as my 9 hitter, and Valentin has nothing on it.

Cherry-pick his stats all you want, but there is no way Juan Uribe should be starting over Alexei Ramirez right now, which is what you seem to be implying. Uribe is a .230 hitter and has not had a OBP of over .300 since 2005. Alexei is probably going to be much, much better than that (without a really drastic dropoff in power numbers either).

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 14, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
I'm going to get bashed for this-

Thome blows. He is just God awful, and we should find a way to get rid of him. Trade him for a minor leaguer, or somethin'.

I say this while reading that Bonds' agent (this is where the bashing part begins) can't even get Barry signed for the MINIMUM. I can not believe that, and if that's the truth, dump Thome and get Bonds for only a year. He can do exactly what Thome does except hit for a better average with more HR.

I agree totally, I love Bonds, he is my favorite player ever. Thome either strikes out or hits an occasional homerun and thats it.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 15, 2008 -> 04:26 PM)
Can we seriously trade Thome for baseballs right now? I hate him.

Don't mind the fact that he's actually been an above average hitter in the majors this year while on pace to hit 30 something homers while driving in and scoring 100 runs...and mind you, he's doing all of this while hitting .220.

For what it's worth - and to me, it's worth a lot - Thome's hitting .278/.357/.611/.968 in June. But yeah, let's trade the dude for some baseballs.

What is with people treating every game like there's no tomorrow? There's over 3 months of the season left!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 12:48 AM)
Don't mind the fact that he's actually been an above average hitter in the majors this year while on pace to hit 30 something homers while driving in and scoring 100 runs...and mind you, he's doing all of this while hitting .220.

For what it's worth - and to me, it's worth a lot - Thome's hitting .278/.357/.611/.968 in June. But yeah, let's trade the dude for some baseballs.

What is with people treating every game like there's no tomorrow? There's over 3 months of the season left!

I wouldn't trade him for baseballs, but I'm sick of watching this one dimensional offense not proce and be so streaky.

I don't know bout that rangercal.

It seems this year there's reason to have some concern about those hitters you mentioned.

I don't think anybody's panicking.

Those guys haven't produced for the most part. Dye's been pretty decent.

I realize Swisher gets on base some, but his lack of hits has been disturbing.

Thome and Konerko have been pretty lousy.

Notice nobody's complaining about Carlos and AJP and Crede. Some of the big bats have sucked, hence the concern.

Edited by greg775

Said concern is based on last year. Of course they will eventually turn it around, after all, they did just that roughly two weeks into September... The pitching is splendid, but it's not perfect, and has shown holes recently (against Detroit and the Rocks nonetheless). Thats why people b**** about our thumpers sucking. It's nice enough that our pitching staff has shown pretty things, it's the height of unclassy to ask them to throw shutouts and no-hitters so we could win.

It could be that Ozzie is using Juan to try to take some of the workload off Alexi because he is not sure that the missile can handle the rigors of the mlb season, giving him a couple days rest can payoff down the line. Uribe is a pretty decent clutch hitter, but that seems to be the only time he can hit. I think he needs to be retained so that he can fill in defensively in the MI, and there isn't anyone available that is better than him right now.

I think the Sox are going to take a concerted effort to try and limit Thomes AB's to ensure that he doesnt trigger his extension, which means probably no interleague play and he will continue to sit against LHP. That solves one issue next season when you can take his contract and struggling bat out of the equation. Then slide over PK to DH, Swisher to 1B and BA into the everyday lineup.