Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
Came home for lunch today and watched the trade deadline special on ESPNEWS. Gammons and Phillips both commented about the positive psychological effect of getting a player at the deadline, even if said player isn't really needed. I'm still not a fan of Griffey playing CF, but I imagine that everybody on the Sox (outside of maybe Paulie) is excited about their GM adding a future-HOF bat to their lineup. Last year was a good example of how poor morale can sink a talented team.

Maybe Griffey can come in and throw a tupperware party for the team.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
This is crunch time. Final terms have to be decided in about a half hour, so this when it gets tense. Usually, 4-5 deals get announced RIGHT at the deadline.

How fitting. Storms rolling into Chicago right now. Looks ugly out there.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
It was a dead a few hours ago. Once it fell apart, Pitt looked elsewhere. Nice to see Tampa reap the benefits of the Red Sox failure to execute.

I think the Red Sox are better off for not having traded Manny. I thought it was a mistake from the get go. I reference 2004 and 2008 to make my case.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
I think the Red Sox are better off for not having traded Manny. I thought it was a mistake from the get go. I reference 2004 and 2008 to make my case.

I assume you meant 2007?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
I'm going to instead go with the top 3 rounds (you don't know who signs and whether you'll get 1st round picks or 2nd round picks depending on the order of the Type A/Type B FA's).

Sox own:

1st

2nd

3rd

OC - 2 picks

Crede - 1 pick

Uribe - Potentially 1 pick

Griffey - Potentially 1 to 2 picks (higher probability on 1 and even that is an if).

This would give the Sox between 6 & 9 picks within the 1st three rounds depending on how things work out. This assumes at the very least Crede/OC going elsewhere.

Well, I'll add in one detail...I think with Richar moving, the odds of this team finding a way to hold on to either O.C., Uribe, or going out and signing a shortstop and thus losing one of those picks have gone up quite a bit.

Are people going to really be comfortable going in to next season with a starting infield of Fields, Alexei, Getz, and Konerko?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
You know how it is with us old folks. We can remember 25 years ago but forget about yesterday.

Dude I'm 26 and I've been like that for a few years now. Heh. I can recall a conversation verbatim from high school but I can't remember why I went to the grocery store.