Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
I question some of the Indiana recruits (Roth), but if I were an Indiana fan, I'd be kind of excited about it this year. New vibe.

What's with the Digger Phelps reference edited in the title? Booooo.

What about Roth? I've heard he's got one dimension (beyond the arc), but he's DAMN good at it.

I'm excited to see what Nick Williams can do the most.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 09:42 PM)
What about Roth? I've heard he's got one dimension (beyond the arc), but he's DAMN good at it.

I'm excited to see what Nick Williams can do the most.

He is definitely a great shooter, but when I saw him down state last year, he didn't do much else. Not much of a penetrator and his defense didn't stand out. Not saying he can't improve at all, just didn't seem like a big time college recruit is all.

Is he a Sampson recruit?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 01:22 AM)
How do you Redbirds like coach Jank? I know him. He's a great great man.

I think that most redbird fans are pretty happy with him. Sadly, when i attended ISU Porter Moser was the coach and he was just terrible. Jank has doen a really good job and they got some good recruits coming in this year.

Unfortunatley, they have no shot of making the tourney this year unless they win the conference tourney. Their schedule is absolutley terrible. After not going to the tourney last year due to a poor schedule, they went out and scheduled one of the worst schedules in the country. They literally will play no one of any significance this year. I am really disappointed in the scheduling job. I don't know if that is Jank's fault though.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
LETS GO BUCKS!!!

Bringing in some more one and done players, woo!!!! Still excited for BJ Mullens though.

Lenzelle will stick around for 4 years. I know what you meant though.

I'm thrilled as always for the college hoop season to arrive, but with all the fellas returning for another year in blue heaven this could be a very special season for my Tarheels, so maybe a bit more excited at this point.

I already got the tickets to see them and Valpo play at the United Center, and I just got some Purdue/Duke tickets to root on my old player E'twaun so I'll be interested in the Boilers run at it as well this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 07:35 PM)
Heads...what's your projection for Iowa St this year? Seems like it's Brackins or bust.

Optimistic: 19-14 (6-10)

Pessimistic: 12-20 (2-14)

Realistic: 16-16 (4-12)

It's kind of wildcard since we don't know what we have, but we probably don't have much. Yes, a lot depends on Brackins, but Staiger and Vanderbeken will also have to step up.

BTW:

picture2qb5.png

I hate to get my hopes up given their history, but this appears to be the most talented Northwestern team I've seen. They actually have three proven double-digit scorers coming back and they brought in by far their deepest recruiting class, including some potentially legit big men. Maybe for once they won't be screwed if Coble or Moore has an off night and they won't give up 15 points to any big man with a pulse. :P

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
Optimistic: 19-14 (6-10)

Pessimistic: 12-20 (2-24)

Realistic: 16-16 (4-12)

It's kind of wildcard since we don't know what we have, but we probably don't have much. Yes, a lot depends on Brackins, but Staiger and Vanderbeken will also have to step up.

BTW:

picture2qb5.png

Wow the pessimistic one is REALLY pessimistic. It adds 10 conference games to the slate and has them all losses. :unsure: :P

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 07:04 PM)
Brian who are those bums in your sig? why did you start this thread? now i want Redbird bball to start. oh and the redbirds could quite possibly have the worst non conference schedule of all time. If they are not undefeated going into conference, I will be real upset.

If by bums you mean studs then you got, from left to right: Ryan Hare, Bryan Mullins, Anthony Booker, Kevin Dillard and Torres Roundtree.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
Sorry, should have said of the modern SIU era that most of us have lived in.

The great part for us SIU fans is that he might not even be the most talented player on this team. Individually this is the most talented SIU team since I've been here by far. Like Brian said, they're going to have some growing pains though. What I like about these guys is, they actually have some swagger, there will be some emotion to this team unlike last years, most of these freshman(KD especially) actually want the ball and want to make plays.

There is definitely going to be some ups and downs but I'm absolutely pumped for the talent that is on this team.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 07:23 PM)
I like Duke's chances this year.

Whole team back except Nelson, and then add on another year to the annual-better Paulus, Singler, Scheyer, Thomas, and Smith, and then freshmen Plumlee, Williams, and Czyz.

I think they can make an Elite 8 run.

Is it really a positive they have everyone back? They were highly overrated last year.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 07:27 PM)
We should load this thread up with MVC talk before Heads comes and ruins it with Iowa State talk and Felix with his Gophers. :P

HEY HEY HEY

Midnight madness is Friday, I can't wait to see what the student section shirts look like.

I also simply can't wait for the season to begin. Despite how well the football team has done this year, college football has died to me over the years in comparison to college basketball. With Ralph Sampson, Devoe Joesph, Devron Bostick and Paul Carter joining an already solid group of young players, I have high hopes for this team. I don't know if this will be the year we make the tournament, but there's no doubt in my mind that we will in the next two or three years. I can't wait to see Damien Johnson and his development, and I can't wait for the student section road trip in the beginning of January which I seriously hope I can go on again. Last year's trip to Michigan was fantastic.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
He is definitely a great shooter, but when I saw him down state last year, he didn't do much else. Not much of a penetrator and his defense didn't stand out. Not saying he can't improve at all, just didn't seem like a big time college recruit is all.

Is he a Sampson recruit?

Yeah. Of this year's class, Roth and Pritchard were Sampson recruits. Jobe, Williams, Story, Dumes, and Jones were all Crean gets.