Furcal Signs with Dodgers, not Braves

Sox1422

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
If the Braves re-entered the Peavy sweepstakes they could really be something. I bet they get in on that now as Escober is expendable or does Escobar go in a package for Dye and Jenks??????

Change your name to Escobar Heat?

Wouldn't Pat Burrell be just as likely (if not moreso) than Dye if Abreu is legitimately trying to stay around the $16 million mark per year?

Of course, most are expecting him to come down to $10-12 million per season, but Dunn/Griffey/Rivera/Bradley/Hermida are just AS LIKELY to be potential targets as anyone. Ibanez's goofy contract does kind of throw a wrench into things.

Of course, everyone's also sitting around waiting to see what will happen to Manny Ramirez down the line, too.

Not so fast on Furcal, YET.

8:35am: ESPN's Jerry Crasnick has a source saying no agreement has been reached, but the Braves are confident and interest is mutual.

The "speculation" is that Furcal will start at 2B, Escobar at SS and Kelly Johnson in LF.

Edited by caulfield12

I have a feeling we are going to be a relatively bad team in 2009, 3rd or possibly 4th place

How much salary have we dumped from Crede, Uribe, Cabrera, Javy, Swish, Logan and have not used to sign any free agents? I guess I don't have to reiterate that we're rebuilding, as even Ozz-ball admitted to it

But it's only december, right!?!?!? haha

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
Wouldn't Pat Burrell be just as likely (if not moreso) than Dye if Abreu is legitimately trying to stay around the $16 million mark per year?

No, and Abreu won't get $16 mill. He might get $12 if he blows someone, so I imagine he's looking more along the lines of $9-11 mill a year. A 3-year, $30 mill deal seems right to be quite honest.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
This makes no sense unless the Braves are going to acquire Peavy. I know one thing, I'd absolutely love to have Escobar and I'd trade Dye straight up for him (simply because I value middle infielders with his ability and upside). And no way is Furcal going to play 2B.

Imagine this fellow Cuban Chicago White Sox infield of Ramirez/Escobar !

Can he play 2B ? I doubt it will happen but let me dream.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
This makes no sense unless the Braves are going to acquire Peavy. I know one thing, I'd absolutely love to have Escobar and I'd trade Dye straight up for him (simply because I value middle infielders with his ability and upside). And no way is Furcal going to play 2B.

Unless Dye agreed to stay there for 2 years or "pre-negotiate" a three year deal, I don't think any team would be so quick to give up one of the best SS prospects in the game for a one year rental, even with the Type A compensation (assuming JD stayed healthy).

That and the fact that every team is waiting for that "glut" of outfield FA's to come down from $12-16 million into the $7-10 million range per season in their asking prices, which does make JD quite as much of a bargain as he looked like 6-9 months ago going forward.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 08:36 PM)
I don't know about anyone else, but I think I'd deal Jenks straight up for Escobar.

Hmmmmmm, speculatively-speaking, is there any possibility that we can ask for a little more and get Heyward along with Escobar for Jenks?

Just speculatively-speaking...

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
Hmmmmmm, speculatively-speaking, is there any possibility that we can ask for a little more and get Heyward along with Escobar for Jenks?

If you can you do it, but they'd be nuts to do that.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 16, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)

You probably couldn't trade Dye or Jenks straight up for Heyward. Atlanta seems to be pretty much in love with him, and seeing as how he tore up low A-ball as an 18 year old, I think it's probably justified. I don't think it's a stretch to think that he could be in AA by the end of this season as a 19 year old.

To be quite honest, I'd be surprised if Atlanta dealt either of those two straight up for either Jenks or Dye.

Not so surprisingly, Furcal is now reported to go to the Dodgers

Furcal is nearing a deal with the Dodgers

At the end of a couple of curious days, during which Rafael Furcal reportedly agreed to sign with the Atlanta Braves, then resumed negotiations with the Los Angeles Dodgers (depending on one’s perspective), the free-agent shortstop was nearing an agreement Wednesday morning to return to the Dodgers.

According to sources familiar with the negotiations, talks between team owner Frank McCourt, general manager Ned Colletti and agent Arn Tellem progressed to the point both sides believed a deal would be struck.

The Dodgers’ offer had been at two years with an option for a third. They improved their original offer in the last 24 hours, according to a source, though it is unknown if they guaranteed the third year or increased the contract’s average annual value.

In Atlanta, Braves officials who were so optimistic they had acquired Furcal (who began his career in Atlanta) on Tuesday for three years and $30 million were resigned to perhaps losing the bidding to the Dodgers on Wednesday. They could, of course, re-enter negotiations with a counter offer.

Agent Paul Kinzer, who works with Tellem, had said Monday he expected Furcal to choose Tuesday between the Dodgers, Athletics, Royals and a fourth team, which turned out to be the Braves. Later Monday, he revealed to at least one of the other teams that Furcal had chosen the Braves, whose offer included a vesting fourth-year option. Clearly, the A’s (who bid the highest for Furcal) and Royals would have had to overwhelm Furcal in term or annual salary to have signed him.

Braves management, sources said Tuesday, believed they had a “gentlemen’s agreement” with Furcal, and that he would submit to a physical on Wednesday.

Braves media relations director Brad Hainje said the club would make no announcement regarding Furcal on Tuesday, did not know if one would come Wednesday, and that he could not confirm an agreement, formal or implied.

Meantime, Colletti said at 9 a.m. PT on Wednesday that the Dodgers were still in on Furcal, who after the season expressed a desire to return to the Dodgers, who whom he played the last three years at $13 million a year.

Yahoo Sports

Rosenthal confirms Furcal to the dodgers.

Here's how it played out with the Braves:

According to Wren, this is how the situation played out:

* Wren reached agreement on the terms of a contract with Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer, on Monday night, pending the approval of Furcal.

* Between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. ET Monday night, Wren spoke with Kinzer three or four times, negotiating the dollar amount, the years and terms of the vesting option, and other contractual details.

* Wren and Kinzer spoke again around midnight Monday night. Kinzer told Wren that he had not yet heard back from Furcal, but that Furcal was excited and that "we're good."

* On Tuesday morning, Wren woke up to a voicemail from Kinzer telling him to put a term sheet (the standard baseball term for an official contract offer) together.

* Wren went into his office in Atlanta, put the term sheet together and signed it.

* Shortly thereafter, Kinzer began "backpedaling," saying he promised the Dodgers he would talk to them.

Atlanta, according to sources, offered Furcal a three-year deal worth approximately $30 million, and included a vesting option for a fourth year that would have pushed the potential value of the deal to approximately $40 million.

Foxsports

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
Rosenthal confirms Furcal to the dodgers.

Here's how it played out with the Braves:

Foxsports

Wow, if true, doesnt look like the Braves will be working closely with Kinzer and his clients anytime soon. That is really bad on the agent, I kind of took that info as if Kinzer got a deal that he wanted, but didnt get really the final okay from Furcal yet but went ahead and agreed, and then Furcal said that he didnt want that deal, opting for the Dodgers.