Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (shipps @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
So Stark is saying that the Sox are either going to go from one extreme to another?? Get Peavy and everyone stays or dont get Peavy and eveyone goes?WTF

Why can't you sell off players while trying to reload for the following season at the same time? I'd have absolutely no problem with this. Let's be honest...getting Peavy this year means nothing unless Gavin and Contreras can do something to contribute. 3 reliable starters won't get the job done unless you have a strong offense.

Edited by fathom

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could the Sox renegotiate the back-end of the deal? Basically wipe out the option year and maybe have two guaranteed years at $15 or $16 mil? Not suggesting, just asking if they could do this and the union would sign off on it. It's lees money for him in that one year, but more money overall, that's why I ask.

Got a source telling me the only thing holding this up is KW negotiating a private meeting once a week between Peavy and President Obama... gotta think Kenny can do it and make this happen!!!!

But in the real world, I really hope this happens and gives the White Sox TWO true aces and a chance of competing for the next few years to come.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
Wow I've missed a lot since the last time I was on here. 80 page thread, I don't have time to read it all.cc

There are about 4 pieces of relevant info being repeated and/or slightly updated in this thread. You've not missed much. This stuff is fun, though.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
There is an agreement in place between the Padres and the Sox. Now, Peavy and the Sox need to reach an agreement. I agree with the others, if the two sides are down to nitty gritty contract details, that's probably a good sign. But, if they're still apart on whether or not to exercise an $18M option, that's still a pretty big gap.

You are correct.

However, if KW did his due diligence going into this, he'd know that the option was likely going to be demanded, as we have discussed. The remaining issue will be doing what it takes to avoid a full NTC for the remainder of the deal. KW doesn't want that to happen. This is probably where the other perks come in.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
It's $18 million, not $22. $4 is auto-guaranteed. Also, someone already broke Peavy's contract down in this thread. It's not the horrible albatross you make it out to be, assuming of course Peavy ends up injured or sucking. If you can't see the value in adding a true ace to your rotation via trade, without mortgaging the farm system, for what ends up being a perfectly reasonable contract, then I don't know what to tell you. You've got your mind set on this team being cheap and/or stupid, and nothing will change that. Good luck with it.

Its more money per season than the White Sox have ever paid anyone. I don't have my mind made up on anything, I've already said this would be KW's best trade if he pulled it off. I said they were cheap (btw the only time I have ever said they were cheap and I've had season tickets 20 years) when KW cut payroll said he had $.50 and wondered how they would pay the electric bill, and now they have the money for Peavy. Guess who is right? Now I'm saying while taking his contract is a good, bold move, guaranteeing the option, which the White Sox will not do, is stupid, and I agree with them 100% on that. Maybe they will broaden the no trade the last couple of years of the deal, but picking up that money is not wise. They can pick it up after he's pitched here for 3 1/2 years.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
Could the Sox renegotiate the back-end of the deal? Basically wipe out the option year and maybe have two guaranteed years at $15 or $16 mil? Not suggesting, just asking if they could do this and the union would sign off on it. It's lees money for him in that one year, but more money overall, that's why I ask.

Why would he do that though? That's the same as $22M for one year and $8-10 the next. That $4M buyout means that unless he's hurt and/or half the nation is waiting in line at the soup kitchen, Peavy will at least equal that $22M salary in the first year of his new contract.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
Why can't you sell off players while trying to reload for the following season at the same time? I'd have absolutely no problem with this. Let's be honest...getting Peavy this year means nothing unless Gavin and Contreras can do something to contribute. 3 reliable starters won't get the job done unless you have a strong offense.

3 reliable starters is more than any other team in this division, imo. Also, our softball offense is going to hit once we get into June.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)

No. The union would flip if money is renegotiated in any way. That would take more time to get approval.

Edited by G&T

That would make it one of the strangest sox seasons I have ever witnessed then. And it would be something that is out of character for KW to do escpecially after a trade of this magnitude.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
i think he's saying if we get Peavy no one else is going anywhere this year and if they don't it's Krazy KW's Player Sale!!

Yikes, this could be an ugly few weeks in White Sox history. Too lose out on Peavy, and then dump the team could be horrid.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
It would be interesting to get Peavy and still end up with Homer Bailey as a 5th starter. And by interesting i mean badass.

We had our lone chance on him.... Bailey is kicking ass and taking names down in Lousiville, the Reds aren't gonna even think about still moving him with the potenital that rotation has.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
3 reliable starters is more than any other team in this division, imo. Also, our softball offense is going to hit once we get into June.

I can't believe Edwin Jackson ended up being so good so far. A lot of us missed that one.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
We had our lone chance on him.... Bailey is kicking ass and taking names down in Lousiville, the Reds aren't gonna even think about still moving him with the potenital that rotation has.

yeah, considering if he comes up and kicks ass they can contend all year in the central

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
+1

Koalas are very, very, very soft and cute. Kangaroos can be cool but they look at you funny, as if to say "If you didn't have food in your hand I'd kill you and make my own."

Problem with Koalas is they sleep about 20 hours per day and if you hold them they will pee on you but I do agree Kangaroos are very sinister looking up close

They can afford Peavy this year, and have a lot coming off after this season. The guys available aren't going to get you top prospects. You might as well go for it. They would increase their chances drastically this year adding Peavy.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
I can't believe Edwin Jackson ended up being so good so far. A lot of us missed that one.

Pretty much everyone I know in Michigan was livid they gave up Matt Joyce for Jackson. It was a great deal for them and I've said that from the beginning and it's definitely paying off.