Who are your CF of choice?

justBLAZE

If it was your choice, who is the odd man out?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who do YOU want to see gone?

• Brian Anderson
    • Scott Podsednik
    • DeWayne Wise

To take your mind off Peavy trade and the humiliation of a loss from yesterday...

DeWise is bound to return and now we have one to many outfielders.

There's an option of sending down Fields and plugging Nix/Betemit at third while keeping all three on the roster.

(Not sure how we feel about Betemit's glove at this point)

STATS:

SPLITS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

DeWayne Wise:

Season 7 21 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 6 0 1 .238 .238 .238 .476

Scott Podsednik:

Season 16 60 4 16 2 1 0 2 3 4 3 2 .267 .297 .333 .630

Brian Anderson:

Season 21 64 7 18 2 0 0 4 8 16 2 3 .281 .361 .313 .674

I realize questions might come up, ie: if Pods is sent down who leads off with Getz struggling lately? Or who should be the starting CF or should we platoon?

Feel free to give your opinion in the thread.

It seems like it will come down to Wise or Pods, more on this here:

Here is a Merkin article on what Ozzie said/did not say about this coming up issue.

QUOTE (tommy @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:52 AM)
To take your mind off Peavy trade and the humiliation of a loss from yesterday...

DeWise is bound to return and now we have one to many outfielders.

There's an option of sending down Fields and plugging Nix/Betemit at third while keeping all three on the roster.

(Not sure how we feel about Betemit's glove at this point)

STATS:

SPLITS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

DeWayne Wise:

Season 7 21 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 6 0 1 .238 .238 .238 .476

Scott Podsednik:

Season 16 60 4 16 2 1 0 2 3 4 3 2 .267 .297 .333 .630

Brian Anderson:

Season 21 64 7 18 2 0 0 4 8 16 2 3 .281 .361 .313 .674

I realize questions might come up, ie: if Pods is sent down who leads off with Getz struggling lately? Or who should be the starting CF or should we platoon?

Feel free to give your opinion in the thread.

It seems like it will come down to Wise or Pods, more on this here:

Here is a Merkin article on what Ozzie said/did not say about this coming up issue.

Did you just say take your mind off the Peavy trade with this garbage. Ill take the 4th choice, LILLIBRIDGE!!!!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:55 AM)
BA is the only answer if he's healthy.

I agree I want the outfield of CQ / BA / JD

Do we keep Pods as a back up, pinch runner (hes gotten picked off in 3 straight games) and say bye to Wise?

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 22, 2009 -> 12:55 AM)
Did you just say take your mind off the Peavy trade with this garbage. Ill take the 4th choice, LILLIBRIDGE!!!!

You out of everyone knew this trade isn't happening. AND I just voted for your dog, so there.

Notice the question asks who do you want GONE.

QUOTE (tommy @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:58 AM)
I agree I want the outfield of CQ / BA / JD

Do we keep Pods as a back up, pinch runner (hes gotten picked off in 3 straight games) and say bye to Wise?

Yes, Wise has proven nothing, and while Pods is close to done it's possible there's still a bit of lightning in that bottle. Enough to make him a worthwhile 4th-OF.

I look at it is what Pods does that Wise can't do and what Wise does that Pods can't do. I can think of much more of what Wise does better than the latter. Obviously BA is the best option, but I'd rather see Dweezy here if I to choose who can do more with the bat, defensively, versitility and even the arm strength.

I want it noted that I read the topic and then voted Anderson thinking you wanted to know who my CF of choice was. That's Brian so I voted for him. Low and behold the topic title and the question are opposites and now Brian has a vote he shouldn't.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:52 AM)
I want it noted that I read the topic and then voted Anderson thinking you wanted to know who my CF of choice was. That's Brian so I voted for him. Low and behold the topic title and the question are opposites and now Brian has a vote he shouldn't.

Yup I realized what I did there.

ME = FAIL at making threads.

QUOTE (tommy @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:01 AM)
You out of everyone knew this trade isn't happening. AND I just voted for your dog, so there.

Notice the question asks who do you want GONE.

Thanks for voting, and keep up the voting. However, these topics make me sad this year as a Sox fan.

I voted for Brian. I still think he needs a shot to start quite a few games in a row. I'm not sold that he will be great, but I don't think he's gotten a fair shot yet. My second choice would be Pods. He has been about as good as I expected him to be, which isn't great but okay.

I'll vote for BA to start the rest of the season.

Interesting day for BA yesterday....he had three singles (he and Josh have suddenly joined the singles club after being expected to combine for 50+ homers)

1) Misplayed a ball into a double by taking the wrong route...he cut across instead of choosing an angle closer to 45 degrees and it got over his head...probably would have had it if it was left-handed

2) One of the worst throws I've ever seen on a ball to shallow center I didn't even think they'd try to score the runner

3) Had to make a jumping/desperation catch on Carlos Gomez or he would have given up an inside-the-park home run...Soriano-esque on that one

Then there was Dye turning around twice with a laser hit right at him and finally over his head and of course Mr. Betemit.

And then there was Pods tipping over a homer by Tolbert that kept floating in the wind to LF...at least not off his head!

Edited by caulfield12

I don't want Dweezy back. Here's what Pods does that Dweezy doesn't...takes pitches. He's not a walk machine by any means, but he looks at more pitches than Dweezy does. So, until Getz can getz back on track to take over lead off again, I want someone who can take a few pitches than swing at the first one and fly out to the warning track.

Defensively, neither one of those guys is going to be a late inning replacement, so f em.

One more thing, though. If CQ is out for an extended period of time and Getz is lead off. I want Dweezy in left and batting 9th, never higher. Better D than Pods.

I'm not a Wise backer by any margin - I think he belongs in the Atlantic League - but he's a far better player than Scott Podsednik, which speaks of where the bench of this organization really is in regards to the rest of the league.

The love for Wise confuses me. I understand that it's hard to love any of these guys, but Wise has not proven anything except that he is not Jerry Owens. I know that Ozzie loves Wise but am flabbergasted as to why. BA deserves the shot. I'm not saying he will succeed, but we'll never find out if he doesn't get the chance.

Sadly, as of now, Pods is our best option at leadoff hitter. And, he hasn't done as terrible as expected. The surprising thing is how horrible his base running has been.

I think it's a for gone conclusion that Figgins will be playing either 2B, 3B, LF, or CF and leading off for the White Sox next year.