Mark Buehrle: The Forgotten Ace

Cochise

Pretty good article about Buehrle: http://www.dugoutcentral.com/blog/?p=2580

Mark Buehrle – The Forgotten Ace

Published by Joe Giglio on July 21, 2009 06:34 am under White Sox

If you were asked to name the best pitchers in baseball, who would your list include?

When I asked my brother, a big baseball fan, these were the names that he mentioned: Johan Santana, C.C. Sabathia, Brandon Webb, Josh Johnson, Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Zack Greinke, Tim Lincecum, Jake Peavy and Josh Beckett. Pretty impressive list of names. Often times on The Shore Sports Report, my co-host and I will talk about the best pitchers in baseball. We rank these starters as the best currently going in their leagues, and the guys that we would want on the mound for us in a big game. Every time these pitchers are on the hill for their team, fans believe that their team will win that game. That is how I define an ace.

Over the years, I have been paying attention to a pitcher who I consider a number 1 starter, but few fans or experts ever rank up there with the other big names. That pitcher? Mark Buehrle.

What? Why? How? Most importantly, WHO? Mark Buehrle has quietly compiled a noteworthy career over the past nine seasons as part of the Chicago White Sox rotation. Although never finishing higher than fifth in the Cy Young voting, and only appearing in three All-Star games, he has been one of the best and most consistent performers of this decade. Since joining the White Sox rotation full time in 2001, Buehrle has gone 127-88 with a 3.75 E.R.A, won a World Series, thrown a no-hitter, thrown 200+ innings every season, had an ERA higher than four only twice in that span, and won double digit games in every season.

Of the pitchers listed above as the best in the game today, only one (Halladay) has more career wins than Buehrle. His career winning percentage and ERA are nearly identical to Josh Beckett. He has 12 more career victories than Johan Santana at the same age. He has done this all despite playing in one of the best hitters parks in all of Major League Baseball. Tom Glavine, the soft tossing lefty that many believed would be the last 300 game winner baseball ever saw, was 122-78 through this same juncture in his storied career.

What is it about Buehrle that makes baseball fans fail to recognize his consistency? Is it because his game isn’t flashy? He doesn’t throw 98 miles per hour, won’t lead the league in strikeouts, and has never had that one historic year. He does win games. He wins them consistently. My co-host asked me whether I would be comfortable with him as the number 1 pitcher on my team. I said that I would, and I think a legion of White Sox fans (I’m talking to you, Mr. Obama) would agree with me. Mark is 10-3 with a 3.52 ERA this year, and is consistently a good second half pitcher.

Will this be the year he finally wins 20 games or the Cy Young award? Probably not. There always seems to be a never flavor of the week having a big year to overshadow him in his own division. The emergence of Santana as the best pitcher in baseball, Cliff Lee putting it all together, and the heartwarming story of Zach Greinke have made even the writers who cover the American League Central division put the accomplishments of Buehrle on the back burner over the years.

We are always looking for the next big thing in sports. The new 20 game winner, 500 home run hitter, or closer who throws over 100 mph. Often times we overlook the players that are performing seemingly ordinary, but actually are excelling like few before. Baseball is the ultimate game of numbers. In no other sport are records revered like in the game of baseball. 3,000, 500, 300, and .400. Those numbers need no explanation. Every fan knows the sanctity of those accomplishments. I think we forget that those numbers are achieved not through two or three all time great seasons, but instead by a long, sustained, consistently special career. If Mark Buehrle continues to pitch like he has for the rest of his career, he will have amassed numbers that will eventually be impossible to ignore.

I love Buehrle. Too bad he may be done after his contract runs out so that he can go hunt, be a Dad, and tarp slide in his backyard. The combination of his ability and his attitude has really made me consider placing him above Thomas as my all time favorite baseball player.

Outside of his claims a few years back of a light flashing system in Texas, he has been the most lovable player this team has ever had.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
I love Buehrle. Too bad he may be done after his contract runs out so that he can go hunt, be a Dad, and tarp slide in his backyard. The combination of his ability and his attitude has really made me consider placing him above Thomas as my all time favorite baseball player.

Outside of his claims a few years back of a light flashing system in Texas, he has been the most lovable player this team has ever had.

That makes him more lovable. I feel the same way, f*** the Cheating Rangers.

QUOTE (Cochise @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
Mark Buehrle – The Forgotten Ace

If you were asked to name the best pitchers in baseball, who would your list include?

Over the years, I have been paying attention to a pitcher who I consider a number 1 starter, but few fans or experts ever rank up there with the other big names. That pitcher? Mark Buehrle.

What? Why? How? Most importantly, WHO?

Simple explanation: He's on the WHITE SOX. He's easy for most to forget about or ignore or not even be aware of. White Sox. Not Red Sox. Not Yankees. Not Cubs. White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
The thing is, all Mark would have to do is run his mouth every once in a while to get attention, and he would have a $20 million a year contract some where and he would be all over ESPN.

Complaining about the weird lights doesn't count?

He needs to be more of a racist. That would work.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
The thing is, all Mark would have to do is run his mouth every once in a while to get attention, and he would have a $20 million a year contract some where and he would be all over ESPN.

Or, if he stays the way he is, then he isn't a friggin' clown.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 03:39 PM)
Or, if he stays the way he is, then he isn't a friggin' clown.

I'm not saying I want him to change. Its more a statement on how good of a guy he really is. He didn't have to take a contract as small as he did, and he sure doesn't have to lag in coverage. But he makes those choices. Buehrle is an incredible man, as well as pitcher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
I'm not saying I want him to change. Its more a statement on how good of a guy he really is. He didn't have to take a contract as small as he did, and he sure doesn't have to lag in coverage. But he makes those choices. Buehrle is an incredible man, as well as pitcher.

I agree...I was commenting on the other pitcher/clowns. I was watching "Big Z" today do the hop-off-the-mound-fist-pump after a strikeout and thought, "really? maybe if you woulda done your job in the first place and not loaded the bases, you wouldn't HAVE to strike the guy out...jackass."

You want to know how great MB is? Look at what the fans did in 2007 . I sseriously can't remember a time when a fan base (or at least the fans at a game) demanded that the organization resign a player. Sure there would be signs, but this was a chant. Maybe I am still a young-in, at 26, but his is one of the only times I remember something like this happening for anybody let alone just a White Sox.

Mark's only bad years in my memory was when he was atrocious in the second half of 2006 and a couple of bad starts in 2003.

It really is amazing how he gets guys out while only throwing in the mid-80s. He's been doing that for a decade and the league still hasn't figured it out yet.

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)
You want to know how great MB is? Look at what the fans did in 2007 . I sseriously can't remember a time when a fan base (or at least the fans at a game) demanded that the organization resign a player. Sure there would be signs, but this was a chant. Maybe I am still a young-in, at 26, but his is one of the only times I remember something like this happening for anybody let alone just a White Sox.

Well in 2005 there was "WE WANT JUNIOR"

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
Simple explanation: He's on the WHITE SOX. He's easy for most to forget about or ignore or not even be aware of. White Sox. Not Red Sox. Not Yankees. Not Cubs. White Sox.

Santana was on the Twins and still got plenty of coverage. Of course, his style is a lot sexier than Buehrle's.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Add a Perfect Game to his freakin resume. How many of those other pitchers have one of those and a No-hitter?

263 no hitters have been thrown, 19 perfect games have been thrown, 18 of which have happened since 1900. Only five times in the history has a player thrown both, one other player has been apart of a perfect game and a combined no-hitter.

Cy Young, jim bunning, addie joss, sandy koufax, randy johnson, and mike witt was the one apart of a combined no-hitter

There are three teams with multiple perfect games thrown.

The yankees have had three pitchers throw a perfect game, don larsen, david wells, and david cone.

The indians have had two pitchers throw a perfect game, addie joss, and len barker.

The sox have charlie robertson and now mark buehrle.

Edited by qwerty