Boy Floats Away in Balloon

Steve9347

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
Because historically a large percentage of weird domestic s*** happens in Florida.

Weird international s*** is predominantly German by nature.

Thus the classic Loveline game, Germany Or Florida?

What an epic game that was. I laughed hysterically every time.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
Would this really matter at all even if the kid did fall out of the balloon?

This ranks pretty high on the list of unnewsworthy things that have ever happened.

Unusual s*** is newsworthy. This definitely qualifies as unusual.

However, I'll never stop complaining about Missing White Woman Syndrome.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
News Orgs: Cute White Blonde Woman/Girl > Any women of any other race

Pretty much, I really can't understand it.

These 2 incidents happened 2 weeks apart:

JonBenet Ramsey Murder

Toya Currie Brutally Raped, Left for Dead in Cabrini-Green Stairwell

Everyone knows the first, most people outside of Chicago (and some in Chicago) never heard of the second. JonBenet was 6, Toya was 8 (Toya is still alive, but severely disabled and can't speak).

/hijack

If my kid is missing that attic is one of the first places I'm going to check. And even if it isn't I'm going to do it before 3 hours pass.

Don't give me the crap about the son saying he got in the balloon, because I'd still check there especially after it turned out he was not in it.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
If my kid is missing that attic is one of the first places I'm going to check. And even if it isn't I'm going to do it before 3 hours pass.

Don't give me the crap about the son saying he got in the balloon, because I'd still check there especially after it turned out he was not in it.

The sheriff said the area, house, and garage was searched. It seems the kid was hiding in a box. I also ehard it may have been the dad who thought his son was in the balloon.

Breaking coverage is frustrating. Even though CNN was basically reporting what they were hearing, the conjecture was so wrong.

This is the quote:

But in a later interview with CNN's "Larry King Live," Falcon said he heard his parents call for him from the garage. When asked by his father on-air why he didn't respond, the boy replied, "You guys said we did this for the show."

When Heene was pressed by Wolf Blitzer, who was filling in for King, to explain what his son meant, he became uncomfortable, finally saying he was "appalled" by the questions. He added that Falcon was likely referring to all the media coverage.

CNN

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 08:43 AM)
Why is this family putting a six year old on national television 18 times immediately after this event if it wasn't for publicity? These people make me kinda sick.

Yeah, the amalgam of all this info - the publicity hounding after, the kid's weird statement, the parents subjecting their children to being part of a show called "wife swap", the kids doing rap videos out on YouTube at age 6, the goofy alien stuff... these parents just seem to scream attention hounds. These parents make me ill.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
This might be the ultimate example of just how stupid the American media is. Talk about falling for a blatant hoax.

I don't blame the media for taking the story, at all - media is a business, and people are fascinated with s*** like this. For so many obvious reasons. This is actually an example of the media being smart.

Family all tells the same story - we are fairly sure the kid is in there. So, the cops and media do what they both had to do - follow the balloon. The cops should have ALSO searched the house, sounds like they did, just not well enough.

The people to blame here are the goofy ass family.

I have seen an episode of wife swap and it generally revolves around parenting skills, or lack there of. Think city folk suddenly living in the country and adjusting and vice versa. Strict parents swap with lax, etc. Not as weird as it sounds, not worth watching either. IMHO

I was talking with my sister, and she said she read that supposedly the balloon was incapable of even lifting a small child... especially a 6 year old.

Anyone see the Mythbusters Episode where they tried to fly a small child with helium balloons? A balloon of this stories size simply couldn't lift the child.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
I was talking with my sister, and she said she read that supposedly the balloon was incapable of even lifting a small child... especially a 6 year old.

Anyone see the Mythbusters Episode where they tried to fly a small child with helium balloons? A balloon of this stories size simply couldn't lift the child.

It can't be that simple. There is math involved - if there is enough helium, weight of child, weight of balloon, weather factors, etc. You can't simply look at a balloon and say "nope, couldn't do it", unless it was patently obvious (like, no, that party balloon twisted into a cute doggie could not lift Refrigerator Perry into the sky).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
It can't be that simple. There is math involved - if there is enough helium, weight of child, weight of balloon, weather factors, etc. You can't simply look at a balloon and say "nope, couldn't do it", unless it was patently obvious (like, no, that party balloon twisted into a cute doggie could not lift Refrigerator Perry into the sky).

The dimensions were plotted to be 20 x 5 or 1,000 square feet. The known lift of helium placed the max lift at 100 pounds. And of course that isn't lift to 5,000 feet. Plus you have to subtract the weight of the mylar