KW: Dealing Jenks Not in the 'Works'

knightni

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 5, 2009 -> 01:37 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ahhv...p&type=lgns

I dunno.

Guess there aren't many options out there.

Of there's nothing going on, the winter meetings haven't started.

If they are indeed unwilling to commit significant money to a FA, they have two lineup holes to fill and limited parts to do it with. Jenks isn't expendable per se, but he's not exactly critical at this point either.

Edited by chunk23

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
Of there's nothing going on, the winter meetings haven't started.

If they are indeed unwilling to commit significant money to a FA, they have two lineup holes to fill and limited parts to do it with. Jenks isn't expendable per se, but he's not exactly critical at this point either.

I realize that. I'm just posting the article.

The whole article is KW-speak for, "I haven't tried trading him recently - but you never know."

There are some options out there. JJ Putz, Rafael Soriano, Mike Gonzalez...any of there guys could replace Jenks if he is traded or being great 8th inning options for us. I wouldnt mine trading Jenks...getting some help in other areas or young prospects and signing 1 or 2 of the above listed free agents. Personally, I dont think Jenks has that good of stuff anymore, not that overpowering anymore.

Edited by joeynach

There are some options out there. JJ Putz, Rafael Soriano, Mike Gonzalez...any of there guys could replace Jenks

Not to be to mean Joey but if your statement above is correct, why would I trade players for Jenks and pay him 8 million or so if i can sign these guys for less and give up no players in trade?

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
There are some options out there. JJ Putz, Rafael Soriano, Mike Gonzalez...any of there guys could replace Jenks

Not to be to mean Joey but if your statement above is correct, why would I trade players for Jenks and pay him 8 million or so if i can sign these guys for less and give up no players in trade?

To keep your 1st Rd draft pick (Gonzalez and Soriano).

As someone who hasn't exactly been enthralled with Jenks probably since a blown save in Baltimore 2 years back, I'd keep him. The starting 5 we have has great upside, although I'm only totally sold on Buehrle, Peavy and perhaps Danks. Any team's pen is going to fluctuate year to year, and our's isn't solidified, nor can we expect anyone to repeat or exceed their previous year's contribution. I'll believe the Sox know how to hit a baseball when I see it, so the cards are in our pitcher's hands. Jenks has done it in the past and I'd like to think he can do it again as per the afore-noted fluctuation situation. Fill the pen vacancies wisely, don't fix something that ain't broke (Thornton as setup- yes he did well as a closer, but it wasn't exactly a legitimate sample size IIRC)- messing with that aspect of the pen is just as touchy as messing with the closer I think. And pray to the sweet baby Jesus that our hitters won't put the pen in as many "what the f***, our starter gave up 5 hits and 2 runs and we're down by two in the 7th" situations as in the past.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 5, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)
As someone who hasn't exactly been enthralled with Jenks probably since a blown save in Baltimore 2 years back, I'd keep him. The starting 5 we have has great upside, although I'm only totally sold on Buehrle, Peavy and perhaps Danks. Any team's pen is going to fluctuate year to year, and our's isn't solidified, nor can we expect anyone to repeat or exceed their previous year's contribution. I'll believe the Sox know how to hit a baseball when I see it, so the cards are in our pitcher's hands. Jenks has done it in the past and I'd like to think he can do it again as per the afore-noted fluctuation situation. Fill the pen vacancies wisely, don't fix something that ain't broke (Thornton as setup- yes he did well as a closer, but it wasn't exactly a legitimate sample size IIRC)- messing with that aspect of the pen is just as touchy as messing with the closer I think. And pray to the sweet baby Jesus that our hitters won't put the pen in as many "what the f***, our starter gave up 5 hits and 2 runs and we're down by two in the 7th" situations as in the past.

Bobby Jenks career - 3.21 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 2.9 BB/9, 8.5 K/9, 2.97 K/BB 0.68 HR/9

Bobby Jenks career EXCEPT Baltimore - 2.95 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 2.8 BB/9, 8.4 K/9, 3 K/BB, 0.72 HR/9

Everything gets better except HR/9, because he has never allowed an Oriole to homer off of him.

So yes, I agree with you...as long as Ozzie doesn't let Jenks close games against Baltimore.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 5, 2009 -> 07:22 AM)
I think the only reason that he isn't trading Jenks is because he hasn't seen a good offer for him. I think if he gets one, he'll pull the trigger.

and a lot of other things, like who would replace him. if it is someone from the fa class, how much money do they want and how many yrs? or maybe he thinks one of the minor league guys can be ready in a yr and he doesnt want to sign someone for multiple yrs, who knows

Bobby is still a pretty good closer.

Ranger ... are you suprised at all the anti Jenks sentiment? Is he considered a reliable closer in the locker room? I still think he's one of the most reliable closers and tied with Thornton as our best reliever. I think the rest of our relievers suck balls, except I guess for long long relief man Carrasco.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
To keep your 1st Rd draft pick (Gonzalez and Soriano).

Since the Sox are picking #13, isn't that pick protected? I would give up a second round pick in a second to grab Soriano, even if we dont deal Jenks. That guys stuff is nasty.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 5, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
Since the Sox are picking #13, isn't that pick protected? I would give up a second round pick in a second to grab Soriano, even if we dont deal Jenks. That guys stuff is nasty.

yea but hes going to want to close. and say he would be a setup guy, thats a very expensive set up guy at 8mil+

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 5, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
yea but hes going to want to close. and say he would be a setup guy, thats a very expensive set up guy at 8mil+

very true, and I guess if they do trade Jenks, KW is not gonna throw all that money at another closer, but it would be great to somehow get him

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Dec 4, 2009 -> 11:47 PM)

Good point. Perhaps since Gonzalez and Putz weren't actually closers the last two years or so, some teams may look at them as set up man, but look at Jenks as a closer. That would make the market less saturated than it appears. IMO any of the above would be a fine closer even though only Soriano was actually closing next year. I doubt KW actually finds a team and a good deal for Jenks, but I would definatly want some insurance against him. Who in our bullpen is actually a proven reliever outside of Jenks and Thornton. If we have 2 guys Ozzie can trust and 5 members of the clown car out there it wont be pretty. I think getting Putz or Gonzalez would be a huge move for our bullpen and give us a true shut down pen from the 7th inning on.

Just saw this:

MONDAY, 8:56am: David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Mark Bowman of MLB.com are throwing out slightly lower estimates of $6.5-7.5MM for Soriano if he accepts arbitration. Both seem to believe Soriano should or will turn down arbitration. But keep it mind that it is certainly in the Braves' best interest for stories to pop up explaining why Soriano should test the open market.

Wow. Non-tender Jenks right now if you have to and offer that money to Soriano to 2 years with an option. I'd even go 3/$24M.